Tom Mars: "The End of the NCAA"

But what if the NCAA is disbanded and Nick Saban becomes the commissioner of whatever follows the NCAA. Cause that would really suck!!!!
I'm not so sure that would be such a bad thing.. I think one of the reasons Nick retired (a big one) had to do with his views on the state of college sport amateurism. He seems to be more open on his views on the subject now that he is out of the rat race.

Seems the only difference between the NFL and college football is the NFL drafts it's players and players in college go to the highest bidder.

Reactions: Raebo
Nothing will ever touch the North Carolina academic scandal when it was proven kids were being passed and having tests taken for them, and the NCAA decided that no penalties would be administered. I know there are a ton of examples of NCAA favoritism, but that one always struck me as the most blatant.
Yep, they would slap UNC on the wrist on a Friday before weekend and try to lose it in the news cycle and then go after a mid major or lower P5 team and put it on the headlines Monday to take over the news cycle and the perception of the NCAA was man they'll get you if you make a misstep. They've played the game for years, it's called moneyball..

All you need is rules voted on by each member of the new league. If someone breaks the rules voted on, they get infractions. If it's blatant, their schedule gets canceled.
The only thing needed to curb infractions is the NFL model. You'll never stop people from trying to cheat. Playing time and game checks are consequences of infractions. At some point, each player will receive a game check. Fine him, coach, whomever, as a consequence of infractions. The sooner they take on a quasi NFL model, the better. This can be "fixed". We're a resourceful country, we can talk and chew gum at the same time. Question is, do we want it fixed? Lots of $$$ to be made while no rules are in place.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
There will be no equitably entity. The people spearheading these lawsuits do not want equitable arrangements. They want the rich to afford their riches. They have resented the notion of equal footing forever, and now have the legal standing to see it obliterated. No more rules. No more restrictions. They believe that money alone should determine their quality, and soon it will be just that. And any entity that tries to create an even playing field will be sued into submission.
I guess that I still feel that hope that it can be figured out and progress in a meaningful way. And for that to have some governing body will have to be established, but that body will need to answerable to the group over which they govern. Remember the last thing to be released from Pandor's box was HOPE.

Reactions: SpookyAction
It's the end of college football as we know it.

How do you feel about that?
It’s been changing in that direction for a while now. You can’t hold back the tide (no pun intended) forever. With the amount of money CFB makes, the people who actually produce the product (the players) were eventually going to demand and receive their fair share. It was only a question of when. The problem was the NCAA tried to deny the new reality instead of adapting to it in a rational and controlled way. Just my two cents…..

It is a double edge sword and will certainly have some negative affects on the game we all love, but north is still north and the players deserve to get every penny the market will bare for the product they produce.

No, they don't. There's only a market for high-school prospects because the schools were stupid and created a market that had never existed before. Now schools have to dun crazy fans for their hard-earned money so they can shower cash on kids, many of who will be busts as college players. And it will all escalate with all of the majors offering bigger and bigger NIL deals to stay competitive--let's see who can buy the best team. It's all become stupid--a game of who can raise the most money and spend the most money on kids. The players are getting a free college education that isn't chump change; in fact, it's worth a lot of money--even if it means little to the money-grubbing players and the crazy fans.

You gotta pay the band members now, because they're part of the show--they can't be expected to work for free, right? And the cheerleaders.

And how about high-school players? They are high school programs that make money off their football programs. They're going to want to be paid now too. Yea, some can chortle about the demise of the NCAA--until the next entity is created that has to deal with this big mess.

No, they don't. There's only a market for high-school prospects because the schools were stupid and created a market that had never existed before. Now schools have to dun crazy fans for their hard-earned money so they can shower cash on kids, many of who will be busts as college players. And it will all escalate with all of the majors offering bigger and bigger NIL deals to stay competitive--let's see who can buy the best team. It's all become stupid--a game of who can raise the most money and spend the most money on kids. The players are getting a free college education that isn't chump change; in fact, it's worth a lot of money--even if it means little to the money-grubbing players and the crazy fans.

You gotta pay the band members now, because they're part of the show--they can't be expected to work for free, right? And the cheerleaders.

And how about high-school players? They are high school programs that make money off their football programs. They're going to want to be paid now too. Yea, some can chortle about the demise of the NCAA--until the next entity is created that has to deal with this big mess.
There is some irony here. It goes like this:

You, TurboVol, you (and I, and everyone else here) are so smitten with college football that we will come to a website devoted to it, and spend hours reading up on the latest, sharing our views, even arguing with others about aspects of the sport.

That makes us the very same people who will often spend hundreds, or even thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars on the sport and all the peripherals around it.

And all those millions of $$$ in revenue, going to universities and conferences and the NCAA, as well as businesses on the periphery, all that flowing money is what makes the sport lucrative.

And the sport being so incredibly lucrative is what leads the players to say, "whoa, wait a minute, we and the coaches are the ones putting the product on the field, why can't we get paid like the coaches do?" Ta-da! NIL.

So the irony is, you complain about rich college athletes while you, TurboVol (and me, and everyone else here) are at the forefront of that part of American society that has in the end created NIL and rich college athletes. And you continue to sustain it with your continued interest: 5,975 and counting.

You blame the schools, when it's really you and me. We created NIL. We're sustaining it right now.

What do you have to say for yourself, mister?

Heh.

Go Vols!

Last edited:

Bammer has been paying players for years, Pruitt didn't think of this by hisself. He tried to copy what he had learned at Bammer. So stop acting like this is something new. This levels the playing field and messed up their process and others.
I don't know how all this will turn out, but i will say the vols were trying to be ready and be proactive when NIL came around and use the rules to their advantage.

Yeah, I guarantee ppl my age and others will say remember when college football was great when NCAA ran it kept control of 90% of the teams except a few blue blood money makers who never got any massive violations. Yeah, we will call that the good ole days, there's a lot of history where a section of ppl were mistreated but ppl still call that time the good ole days. So yes its a mixed bag of feelings when ever you grew up with in a sense of youth is this good O' days in a way. So we shall see, I'm not a Nascar fan but they changed things up and the sport as a whole has suffered ratings wise versus the 1970-80-90s. So changes will make its indelible mark some will be worse than other. It's just time to hide & watch.
Like college athletics, NASCAR had their favorites. Certain manufacturers got favorable rulings for them while others felt cheated. But for me, what did me in with NASCAR was the one body nonsense. They all look alike and you can't tell one brand from the others except by the badge on them. NHRA did the same thing. They made rules that basically made competing impossible for one car brand. I love drag racing, but can't hardly watch it anymore. Hope that doesn't happen to college football.

Last edited:
Reactions: gnm53108
Different emotions and thoughts about all of this.

1. UT had no other choice, hand was forced by NCAA for their selective enforcement. True, CJP did hand out bags of cash in McDonalds bags, UT admitted such. NCAA admitted UT handled it correctly. Then NCAA targets UT as repeat offender. NCAA knows that CJP didn’t suddenly just discover how to pay players while at UT, this was learned behavior from his days at FL ST, UGA and most recently Bama. Just because you are not guilty because you haven’t got caught is not an excuse for Bama and UGA to not play by same rules that everyone knows are being broken. Frankly, in one sense, I was hoping CJP would sue UT and the lawyers for UT could open a huge can of worms when they deposed CJP about his history at Bama and UGA.

2. This decision basically puts the nail in the coffin, not only for NCAA, but the idea of college football being an amateur sport. It will never be the same. The only course I see going forward is for college football players becoming employees of universities. If this happens, then what prevents them from only being employed for 4 years? Why not 6, 8, even 10 years? Now colleges are competing with NFL for players, will college football eventually evolve as a competing league and go the same path of USFL or others who tried to compete with NFL?
Actually I was watching one of the vols talk shows the other day (It may have been Volquest, but I watch almost all of them so not sure), and they said it was a Chick Filet bag, not McDonalds, but whose counting ;)

If we are being honest, the ncaa didn’t really enforce much until the 70’s. Even then they were accused of favoritism by Tark the shark. None of the rules really mattered until the early 80’ when the tv rights suit happened. Up to that point, players were happy getting scholarships. Since that time the money has grown exponentially, and the players deserve a piece. The ncaa was too slow solving the problem, so they became the problem.

Rip ncaa

When the NCAA allwed Tyrell Pryor and 5 other Ohio State players proven to have accepted illegal benefits at a tattoo parlor only days before their bowl game and allowed them to still play in said bowl game and serve their suspension the first 4 non conference game of the next year, let’s just say I knew the end was near

But what if the NCAA is disbanded and Nick Saban becomes the commissioner of whatever follows the NCAA. Cause that would really suck!!!!
I think there is no avoiding having Saban playing some sort of key role in what college football is morphing into. Good or bad? Bad if the “new boss” uses the same punishment tactics the NCAA used where they cherry pick those they want to punish and don’t touch the sacred cows.

The good is if he gets involved in reform and moves the sport in a direction where the game still resembles what it is now. Age was definitely a factor in his retirement, but with SEC expansion and divisions evaporating, this Tsunami I of change was more than he could take.

I’d rather see someone else, but be careful what you wish for. Much of Sabans success at Alabama came early on. He did something no other coach since Bear did and that is he jumped in and took total control of that program. The others had all these former Bear players backseat driving, including Paul Bear Bryant ,Jr, Saban shut his door to them which took balls. He’s a “my way or the highway” sort of guy. Ask Kiffin about that.

What I’m saying is it’s going to take leadership. Right now it’s herding cats. He’s a guy that can actually get the sport on the right track.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
I think there is no avoiding having Saban playing some sort of key role in what college football is morphing into. Good or bad? Bad if the “new boss” uses the same punishment tactics the NCAA used where they cherry pick those they want to punish and don’t touch the sacred cows.

The good is if he gets involved in reform and moves the sport in a direction where the game still resembles what it is now. Age was definitely a factor in his retirement, but with SEC expansion and divisions evaporating, this Tsunami I of change was more than he could take.

I’d rather see someone else, but be careful what you wish for. Much of Sabans success at Alabama came early on. He did something no other coach since Bear did and that is he jumped in and took total control of that program. The others had all these former Bear players backseat driving, including Paul Bear Bryant ,Jr, Saban shut his door to them which took balls. He’s a “my way or the highway” sort of guy. Ask Kiffin about that.

What I’m saying is it’s going to take leadership. Right now it’s herding cats. He’s a guy that can actually get the sport on the right track.
Saban's suggestions were a direct line back to "dark money" by capping earnings in some way. He's a dinosaur who only knows the old ways and he was smart enough to know that when he retired.

Not surprisingly, he suggested Sankey or Byrne (Bama AD) as a commissioner of any new entity associated with college football.

Saban might have the gravitas to lead a new organization but he lacks new ideas. He's talking about token compensation above the table and the old "$100 handshake" under the table, which he did very well.

Per Tom Mars, Attorney representing Spyre:

"I think this will be one more brick in the wall that is the end of the NCAA," Mars said. "Short of intervention by Congress, the demise of the NCAA now seems inevitable based on nothing but a financial analysis, as it appears the NCAA is poised to lose all of its upcoming antitrust cases. The cumulative effect of which, could make the NCAA financially insolvent."

"A bad case is a bad case, and they've put all their defenses forward," Mars added. "And there's no precedent anywhere in the United States that supports their defenses."

"Turning upside down rules overwhelmingly supported by member schools will aggravate an already chaotic collegiate environment, further diminishing protections for student-athletes from exploitation," the NCAA said in a statement. "The NCAA fully supports student-athletes making money from their name, image and likeness and is making changes to deliver more benefits to student-athletes, but an endless patchwork of state laws and court opinions make clear partnering with Congress is necessary to provide stability for the future of all college athletes."

Corker said the NCAA's lawyers did not make a compelling argument for why using NIL contracts as recruiting inducements would undermine the academic side of college sports.

"While the NCAA permits student-athletes to profit from their NIL, it fails to show how the timing of when a student-athlete enters such an agreement would destroy the goal of preserving amateurism," the judge wrote.

Time to break out the lifeboats, NCAA.

View attachment 622432
Why is “preserving amateurism” even a goal? They act like amateurism is a virtue.

And they’re so disingenuous talking about protecting athletes from exploitation. I mean Jesus Christ read the room, NCaA. Everyone’s look at you, because Y’all have literally been the ones exploiting the atgletes for decades.

VN Store

Back