Tom Mars: "The End of the NCAA"

MontyPython

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
Per Tom Mars, Attorney representing Spyre:

"I think this will be one more brick in the wall that is the end of the NCAA," Mars said. "Short of intervention by Congress, the demise of the NCAA now seems inevitable based on nothing but a financial analysis, as it appears the NCAA is poised to lose all of its upcoming antitrust cases. The cumulative effect of which, could make the NCAA financially insolvent."

"A bad case is a bad case, and they've put all their defenses forward," Mars added. "And there's no precedent anywhere in the United States that supports their defenses."

"Turning upside down rules overwhelmingly supported by member schools will aggravate an already chaotic collegiate environment, further diminishing protections for student-athletes from exploitation," the NCAA said in a statement. "The NCAA fully supports student-athletes making money from their name, image and likeness and is making changes to deliver more benefits to student-athletes, but an endless patchwork of state laws and court opinions make clear partnering with Congress is necessary to provide stability for the future of all college athletes."

Corker said the NCAA's lawyers did not make a compelling argument for why using NIL contracts as recruiting inducements would undermine the academic side of college sports.

"While the NCAA permits student-athletes to profit from their NIL, it fails to show how the timing of when a student-athlete enters such an agreement would destroy the goal of preserving amateurism," the judge wrote.

Time to break out the lifeboats, NCAA.

tumblr_prd035Bv8A1y7viwpo5_500.gif

giphy.gif

Their (NCAA) argument or pleading absolutely made no sense based on their own past actions. The NCAA was making money off of “amateur “ college athletes by selling their NIL to gaming companies and clothing manufacturers. Johnny Mansell sued the NCAA and won. What “exploitation “ are they saving athletes from…the exact same exploitation they themselves were doing? Players had no rights, just accountability to a faceless, fickle unelected bureaucracy using them to make money. College football is a business and should be ran as one.

It's the end of college football as we know it.

How do you feel about that?
And there is no going back, much akin to the opening of Pandoras box. Without some kind of governing agency, anarchy will prevail and we are seeing the beginnings even now. I admit that the NCAA brought this on themselves due to their high handed and uneven rulings in the past, but some equitable entity needs to be in place to govern this chaos.

is the NCAA now just a "company" that organizes "March Madness", College baseball tournament and other tournaments?
Well a lot of those guys have made millions off the backs of student athletes. They can still smoke their cigars in back rooms and reminisce about the good ole days when they had them fooled.

Yeah, I guarantee ppl my age and others will say remember when college football was great when NCAA ran it kept control of 90% of the teams except a few blue blood money makers who never got any massive violations. Yeah, we will call that the good ole days, there's a lot of history where a section of ppl were mistreated but ppl still call that time the good ole days. So yes its a mixed bag of feelings when ever you grew up with in a sense of youth is this good O' days in a way. So we shall see, I'm not a Nascar fan but they changed things up and the sport as a whole has suffered ratings wise versus the 1970-80-90s. So changes will make its indelible mark some will be worse than other. It's just time to hide & watch.

I love it personally. The NCAA have been throwing deck chairs off the Titanic for years hoping it would help. The ONLY thing that is going to "fix" this is contracts. This will be a mini NFL model that puts roster management and development at a premium. I think this helps UT due to their ability to develop players year over year. With coach JH-I believe we're well placed for consistency.

Different emotions and thoughts about all of this.

1. UT had no other choice, hand was forced by NCAA for their selective enforcement. True, CJP did hand out bags of cash in McDonalds bags, UT admitted such. NCAA admitted UT handled it correctly. Then NCAA targets UT as repeat offender. NCAA knows that CJP didn’t suddenly just discover how to pay players while at UT, this was learned behavior from his days at FL ST, UGA and most recently Bama. Just because you are not guilty because you haven’t got caught is not an excuse for Bama and UGA to not play by same rules that everyone knows are being broken. Frankly, in one sense, I was hoping CJP would sue UT and the lawyers for UT could open a huge can of worms when they deposed CJP about his history at Bama and UGA.

2. This decision basically puts the nail in the coffin, not only for NCAA, but the idea of college football being an amateur sport. It will never be the same. The only course I see going forward is for college football players becoming employees of universities. If this happens, then what prevents them from only being employed for 4 years? Why not 6, 8, even 10 years? Now colleges are competing with NFL for players, will college football eventually evolve as a competing league and go the same path of USFL or others who tried to compete with NFL?

Yeah, I guarantee ppl my age and others will say remember when college football was great when NCAA ran it kept control of 90% of the teams except a few blue blood money makers who never got any massive violations.

Nothing will ever touch the North Carolina academic scandal when it was proven kids were being passed and having tests taken for them, and the NCAA decided that no penalties would be administered. I know there are a ton of examples of NCAA favoritism, but that one always struck me as the most blatant.

Maybe it is time for colleges to return to their original purpose of educating young minds instead of sponsoring professional sports teams.
They can do both. Look at the construction going on over on the hill. As we (UT) do better, more people want to come to school. Higher attendance, more money, more construction, better recruiting of talent(professors, students, players), better education outcomes, etc.It all works together and will only benefit UT. A rising tide raises all boats to borrow a phrase from JFK

And there is no going back, much akin to the opening of Pandoras box. Without some kind of governing agency, anarchy will prevail and we are seeing the beginnings even now. I admit that the NCAA brought this on themselves due to their high handed and uneven rulings in the past, but some equitable entity needs to be in place to govern this chaos.

There will be no equitably entity. The people spearheading these lawsuits do not want equitable arrangements. They want the rich to afford their riches. They have resented the notion of equal footing forever, and now have the legal standing to see it obliterated. No more rules. No more restrictions. They believe that money alone should determine their quality, and soon it will be just that. And any entity that tries to create an even playing field will be sued into submission.

But what if the NCAA is disbanded and Nick Saban becomes the commissioner of whatever follows the NCAA. Cause that would really suck!!!!
All you need is rules voted on by each member of the new league. If someone breaks the rules voted on, they get infractions. If it's blatant, their schedule gets canceled.

Reactions: CSVol

VN Store

Back