Tom Mars, Attorney For Cade Mays Interview

Boring listen but wasn’t the arrogant guy I was anticipating hearing. Good to hear comments on Pruitt. Good insight on reason for delays.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Either they didn't want bias against Cade if they sued while he was there and/or use as leverage to release Cade.

The suite/settlement process was ongoing while he was still there. It got leaked by UGA the day after he notified them of his decision to transfer.

More likely, ncaa will grant eligibility if a family member is sick or has been in declining health and you move to a school within 100 miles of your home address. Could be someone in family has a diagnosis that Cade wants to keep quiet. He then can move back home since he lives in Knoxville. Just a possibility.

I thought the finger incident happened a while back, like as in his before his first game at UGA. To me, if that’s the issue, then why wait so long to transfer? I don’t know, I just don’t see that as the issue.
The finger incident happened before he committed but the lawsuit was filed 1 year and 11 months +/- later. The statute of limitation is two years in the state of Georgia for this particular civil personal injury matter. Those of you who haven't been privy to s a lawsuit like this, for the past approx 1 year 10 months Kevin Mays, his attorneys, the insurance company for Jawja, their attorneys, the Ath. Dept, Chair manufacturer, and the guy who sets up chairs for $8 an hour have all been pointing fingers ( only 9 in one case) over whose fault/ responsibility it was to make Mr Mays whole again (cover his medical bills, future lost earnings, pain and suffering etc..) Usually there is a lot negotiations behind the scenes and some settlement will be reached so they don't go to trial but they will continue to negotiate after complaint motions are filed they just had to have the complaint filed with Clerk of Court less than two years from the incident and that starts the clock.

It wasn't said, but implied, finger has nothing to do with it.
He (Mars) has actually said that he is not in any way involved in the lawsuit and hasn't even looked at it and that it has nothing to do with Cade's case with NCAA. He has said several times in that interview and others he has read alot of stuff on social media and non of it was close to the truth and he said the same re Justin Fields as well. He did say Georgia denies that they released info about the case at the same time Cades notified them he wanted to be put in the portal, but that he doesn't believe it that's true, and went on to speculate it may have been a grad assistant or someone loosely associated with the program.

Cade went there anyway AFTER the finger incident had occurred. So trying to win the appeal and being granted the waiver off that is a pretty weak ground to stand on imo.

I hope it is something else as Mars suggests.
Cade went there after the incident but before the lawsuit. That is the difference. I would not want to be an employee/student/subordinate at a place where it was well-known that my family member was suing.

The lawsuit may be complete bs. But that is not Cade's fault. He's not the one suing. (At least that is the rationale.) In other words, Cade's case doesn't really rest on whether his dad has a good case or not. It rests on the fact that his dad is suing the university of Georgia. I would imagine there would be some fans that would give Cade some grief over that.

The lawsuit may be complete bs. But that is not Cade's fault. He's not the one suing. (At least that is the rationale.) In other words, Cade's case doesn't really rest on whether his dad has a good case or not. It rests on the fact that his dad is suing the university of Georgia. I would imagine there would be some fans that would give Cade some grief over that.
Imma say this again real slow, NVM just read what I wrote below. Cades case has no tie in to his dads suit against Georgia so says his attorney but maybe you should call him and tell him he's wrong.
He (Mars) has actually said that he is not in any way involved in the lawsuit and hasn't even looked at it and that it has nothing to do with Cade's case with NCAA. He has said several times in that interview and others he has read alot of stuff on social media and non of it was close to the truth and he said the same re Justin Fields as well. He did say Georgia denies that they released info about the case at the same time Cades notified them he wanted to be put in the portal, but that he doesn't believe it that's true, and went on to speculate it may have been a grad assistant or someone loosely associated with the program.

This part of the interview was probably the most frustrating. Let me say this first, I am sure Mr. Mars is a good attorney and probably not a bad guy. Mars won't or hasn't put out a public statement about the case, for good reason. Mays has legal rights to privacy and no reason to put the NCAA on the spot. I totally understand and support this logic and think it should be allowed. The public should not be able to FIOA this information.

My issues is when Mr. Mars wants to then disparage those who do have an opinion and speculate. He won't tell the reasons, fine, but don't get upset with people for speculating or having an opinion. To me this seems like the definition of having your cake and eating it. This isn't little Timmy wanting to change elementary schools. This is a big time player wanting to transfer between rival SEC schools. People also have a right and to an opinion, no matter how uninformed or stupid.

I hope the process is fair for Mays.

Go Vols!

This part of the interview was probably the most frustrating. Let me say this first, I am sure Mr. Mars is a good attorney and probably not a bad guy. Mars won't or hasn't put out a public statement about the case, for good reason. Mays has legal rights to privacy and no reason to put the NCAA on the spot. I totally understand and support this logic and think it should be allowed. The public should not be able to FIOA this information.

My issues is when Mr. Mars wants to then disparage those who do have an opinion and speculate. He won't tell the reasons, fine, but don't get upset with people for speculating or having an opinion. To me this seems like the definition of having your cake and eating it. This isn't little Timmy wanting to change elementary schools. This is a big time player wanting to transfer between rival SEC schools. People also have a right and to an opinion, no matter how uninformed or stupid.

I hope the process is fair for Mays.

Go Vols!
I don't want this to come off wrong but I haven't heard him disparage folks in any of the several interviews or statements I have seen from him, more making light that everybody blind guessing aren't close to the real reason. Not saying he didn't but It didn't seem to me he was saying no one was entitled to an opinion or to not have one, just they were all wrong and laughable (same with Fields). We can guess but at the end of the day a small group of folks have the facts and I'm convinced based on his track record and the gamble that Mays took they are 98% confident he will be given a waiver. It may be a terrible analogy and probably is but I've seen this play out lots in my experience so there's my disclaimer.
I would equate what he said (Mars) to being the LEO investigator of a fatal car accident into a creek that has the black box from the car and other non public evidence ( dash video, texts, GPS, physical evidence, etc..) and listening to all the witnesses on the ground talk about what happened based on what they heard or saw before the crash. Knowing that all of is wrong but until the autopsy results are back from Med examiner( NCAA) you aren't 100% sure what the outcome will be but you know what it isn't based on the evidence you gathered.
News crew interviews people and Some saw deer in the road in that direction right before the crash, some saw weaving, some saw smoke from the car, some said they got passed by victim at 100 mph, some thought they were texting, some thought they smelled alcohol from the deceased victim at the scene, some smelled pot coming from the car 20 miles before, heard victim yelling for help before car sank in creek and he drowned, etc...
After listening to all that it turns out the real reason was a massive aneurysm that killed victim immed. and car lost control and victim was deceased before car went into the water.
Unless we are in small group of folks who do have some facts Like Mays, Mars and NCAA compliance we are all just guessing. I would wager that Kirby and his staff don't have all the evidence and details only what Cade told them in a letter after he asked to be put into the portal. I would also bet that Mars had been actively involved with them prior to Cade asking to be put into the portal to say he has an excellent chance of winning his waiver case based on the facts he had at the time.
At the end of the day we don't know and most likely will never but I for one am 100% convinced he has a legit request based on what Mars said, and 98% sure it will be approved... The other 2% well it is the NCAA we talking bout so????

EDIT: TO SAY SORRY SO LONG AND NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR QUOTE...

I think he will play too, the NCAA has lost all credibility when it comes to transfer waivers. I just hope they don't drag their feet forever like they did with Solomon.

At the end of the day we don't know and most likely will never but I for one am 100% convinced he has a legit request based on what Mars said, and 98% sure it will be approved... The other 2% well it is the NCAA we talking bout so????

EDIT: TO SAY SORRY SO LONG AND NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR QUOTE...[/QUOTE]

Your not coming off wrong at all. At best this is a discussion forum for Tennessee Football Fans and I enjoy some deeper thought and analysis. I don't mind the long post either. Hooked on phonics worked me for me and I can read. I have never understood the idea that something was too long to read so why bother? Maybe for some people reading is truly a struggle or they just are not that interested, worse yet they are lazy.

Anyway, I am glad the interview is posted and I agree it looks promising but we are dealing with NCAA here and who the hell knows with that crew. Maybe disparaging is too negative but I got the impression that he was looking down on people for speculating. I agree that few probably actually know the truth. When you keep the truth hidden shouldn't Mars expect people to speculate? or does Mars think people should say this is a private matter and I will with hold my opinion? I think it would be less frustrating if he said something simple like" Mays has a right to privacy, which I will respect. Only a few people know the truth and most, if not all you hear online is speculation." On the other hand, I appreciate him dispelling Kevin May's case as a factor in Cade's decision, however obvious it may seem.

When I get a chance, I will pick specific quotes to support my opinion.

VN Store

Back