Tom Brady.....even better than I thought he was.

Rarely did he have a physical D that could match up well with the Patriots. A Bob Sanders led defense was the only time they could match up physically.
Well Bob Sanders was on those 2005-2007 teams that I referenced. And they didn’t lose to to Patriots in the playoffs in any of those three years. And over those three seasons the Colts were 3-1 against the Patriots. So it seems that their defense was “physical enough.”

Ask yourself why Brady chose the Bucs over, the 9-7 Titans, the 8-8 Bears, or the 7-9 Jets, Broncos, or Colts? Those are the teams that finished as good or better than the Bucs and didn't have a $25M QB on the books.

The Bucs defense won the SB last year. They completely shut down Mahomes.

They were among the more injured teams, but I don't think the way it shook out was as devastating to their season as you make it out to be. They have so many weapons and you can have 2 out at a time, and be fine. They have so many defensive playmakers, you can have 2 out at a time and still be fine.

They finished 5th in points surrendered, for crying out loud. That's damn impressive for a skeleton of a defense.

Both sides are never going to change their views. Those that love Brady and think he is the greatest player to ever step on a field are not going to be swayed and those that think he played on the best teams, had the best coaching and had a TON of luck aren’t going to be swayed either. I am more in the 2nd bucket but per the OPs post, I do feel that he’s better than I thought he was. I always thought he would be embarrassed playing on any team other than the Pats and his real skill set would be exposed. He has proved that he is better better than I thought so I was quite shocked. Like him or not, and I don’t, I have to at least admit he surprised me.

Well Bob Sanders was on those 2005-2007 teams that I referenced. And they didn’t lose to to Patriots in the playoffs in any of those three years. And over those three seasons the Colts were 3-1 against the Patriots. So it seems that their defense was “physical enough.”

Bob Sanders was the man against the run (which was so important to the Colts) and solid in pass coverage and if the Colts have Freeney and Sanders, Brees has 0 SB's.

Ask yourself why Brady chose the Bucs over, the 9-7 Titans, the 8-8 Bears, or the 7-9 Jets, Broncos, or Colts? Those are the teams that finished as good or better than the Bucs and didn't have a $25M QB on the books.

They were among the more injured teams, but I don't think the way it shook out was as devastating to their season as you make it out to be. They have so many weapons and you can have 2 out at a time, and be fine. They have so many defensive playmakers, you can have 2 out at a time and still be fine.

They finished 5th in points surrendered, for crying out loud. That's damn impressive for a skeleton of a defense.
Depending on who you believe, Brady wanted to come to the Titans and Vrabel chose to ride with Tannehill; it was either them or the 49ers that snubbed him. Brady was quoted as saying, “You chose that m-f’er over me?” If the Titans did choose RT over Brady it was the single stupidest decision in the history of sports.

The Bucs this year didn’t just have two weapons out at a time; for multiple games they were without their top RB and their top two WRs. Also, their secondary is by far their weakest link on the defense so having two or more players out there for much of the season absolutely had a major impact.

Last edited:
Depending on who you believe, Brady wanted to come to the Titans and Vrabel chose to ride with Tannehill; it was either them or the 49ers that snubbed him. Brady was quoted as saying, “You chose that m-f’er over me?” If the Titans did choose RT over Brady it was the single stupidest decision in the history of sports.

The Bucs this year didn’t just have two weapons out at a time; for multiple games they were without their top RB and their top two WRs. Also, their secondary is by far their weakest link on the defense so having two or more players out there for much of the season absolutely had a major impact.

Well, I know that's not true because Mike Evans only missed 1 full game. I think the weeks where the offense were most injured were 15 and 16, right? The Saints held them to 0 points, with the Bucs D holding up their end of the bargain. The next week, they beat up on the lowly Panthers who only scored 6. So Brady went 1-1 "dragging a skeleton" of an offense against pathetic QB's.

You keep mentioning defensive injuries, but the defense was stellar.

Last edited:
Well, I know that's not true because Mike Evans only missed 1 full game. I think the weeks where the offense were most injured were 15 and 16, right? The Saints held them to 0 points, with the Bucs D holding up their end of the bargain. The next week, they beat up on the lowly Panthers who only scored 6. So Brady went 1-1 "dragging a skeleton" of an offense against pathetic QB's.

You keep mentioning defensive injuries, but the defense was stellar.
You obviously aren't familiar with the stats for the team. When they were healthy, Godwin and AB were the two leading receivers. AB was out three games for a suspension, and then several more for injury; Godwin was out five games, including both playoff games. So my statement that they were down their top two WRs for multiple games was accurate.

And the defense was not exactly stellar giving up 34 points to the Rams in September, or 29 to the lowly Redskins, or 36 to the Saints led by the mighty Trevor Siemian. All of those games were ones where multiple starters were out in the secondary.

He's not retiring. When I heard it today, I didn't think it was real. Why wouldn't it be a presser? Why would he retire when he looked as good as last year? If Rodgers and Wilson go to the AFC, the NFC is going to be so weak at QB. Basically Stafford, Murray and Dak at the top.

Reactions: WestTennesseeVol

VN Store

Back