Today was my best VOL fan day ever!

volstuckinwa

Seven months ago, I was sitting in front of my computer trying to decide which tickets to buy for my son and I to attend Today's game vs Gonzaga. The tickets I really wanted were like $200 each, right next to the Tennessee bench. My wife encouraged me to get these tickets, since it was a gift to my son. The fact that he goes to school at Grand Canyon Univ and at the time I lived in Southern California, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to splurge and have this experience with him. Since then, we have moved to the Phoenix area and he and I have been looking forward to today with great anticipation. As you all know, the game was incredible! Sitting among some of support staff for the team was really cool as well! As the game ended, the celebration ensued and it was really awesome to be a part of! It took a while for us to calm down and get back to normal heart rates but eventually we did. As the second game started, we were still in awe of what we had just seen, when one of the gentlemen that was with the team came back out to ask us specifically if we had met any of the players. My son said, "I told Bowden good game." He said hang out here for a minute and I'll be right back. After about 8-10 minutes, he came back out and told us to follow him. He took us back where the team was coming out and we were able to meet and take a few photos with players. We met Coach Barnes, Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Lamonte Turner, Jordan Bone and Kyle Alexander. Just so all Vol fans know, these young men could not have been more friendly, polite or engaging. Coach Barnes had me thinking that we were long lost friends and he was elated to see me. This team is special y'all. These young men love each other, love their coach and love to compete. I have never been more proud to be a VOL fan than today! It's great to be Tennessee Vol!!!

Attachments

• 7764.jpeg
    7764.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 7766.jpeg
    7766.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 187
Front row seat for VOL history. You are a great dad!! Not only will your son remember this day forever, so will the guys he was photographed with!! GBO

By the way, I was a student during the Bernie/Ernie years. This may be better. Those two were awesome, but this team has more than two that can carry the mail.

That is awesome you had that experience with your son!...That is a memory you will never be able to erase...This team might easily be my all time favorite...I love the family attitude with all these players and coaches and they genuinely appear to be good people...So happy for you guys!

Front row seat for VOL history. You are a great dad!! Not only will your son remember this day forever, so will the guys he was photographed with!! GBO

By the way, I was a student during the Bernie/Ernie years. This may be better. Those two were awesome, but this team has more than two that can carry the mail.

I remember those days, but I think they had another player that was excellent but was always in the background. Not sure of his name, maybe Jackson? I loved watching them pound Ky!!

Seven months ago, I was sitting in front of my computer trying to decide which tickets to buy for my son and I to attend Today's game vs Gonzaga. The tickets I really wanted were like $200 each, right next to the Tennessee bench. My wife encouraged me to get these tickets, since it was a gift to my son. The fact that he goes to school at Grand Canyon Univ and at the time I lived in Southern California, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to splurge and have this experience with him. Since then, we have moved to the Phoenix area and he and I have been looking forward to today with great anticipation. As you all know, the game was incredible! Sitting among some of support staff for the team was really cool as well! As the game ended, the celebration ensued and it was really awesome to be a part of! It took a while for us to calm down and get back to normal heart rates but eventually we did. As the second game started, we were still in awe of what we had just seen, when one of the gentlemen that was with the team came back out to ask us specifically if we had met any of the players. My son said, "I told Bowden good game." He said hang out here for a minute and I'll be right back. After about 8-10 minutes, he came back out and told us to follow him. He took us back where the team was coming out and we were able to meet and take a few photos with players. We met Coach Barnes, Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Lamonte Turner, Jordan Bone and Kyle Alexander. Just so all Vol fans know, these young men could not have been more friendly, polite or engaging. Coach Barnes had me thinking that we were long lost friends and he was elated to see me. This team is special y'all. These young men love each other, love their coach and love to compete. I have never been more proud to be a VOL fan than today! It's great to be Tennessee Vol!!!
What a magic time for you and your son! Those are amazing moments, and to share that with your son makes it unforgettable. I had a similar experience twice with my son and I was forever grateful at how these young men took the responsibility of modeling this behavior. It really restores your faith in humanity, for sure. This team and all these coaches are good people, and we are fortunate and blessed to say they represent our great university. Reading your story this morning made my day. Glad you had a great Sunday.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Man...that's as cool as it gets! Great job to do that for your son and to be there to support our guys. :)

This is perhaps one of the coolest Vol stories I have heard in a while! Congratulations on being there in person to witness one of the biggest wins in BasketVOL history, you and your son will have that memory for a lifetime!!!!

Reactions: Lurker

Yeah, Mike Jackson only averaged like 15-16 pts per game. Reggie Johnson, while only a freshman, averaged close to 10 and the dirt dobber, Johnny Darden was an outstanding player also. After the rebuilding year the following year where Mears was out sick, Devoe used Johnson and Darden as key plugs for a very good NCAA team in 1979. While Ernie and Bernie were outstanding players, it was hardly a two man team.

Great win and great post! This is one of my favorite VN posts ever!

I remember those days, but I think they had another player that was excellent but was always in the background. Not sure of his name, maybe Jackson? I loved watching them pound Ky!!

Yep. They had a great starting five, but not much bench, most years. Darden, Jackson, and Johnson. If they'd had much bench help, I believe they could/would have won a national title.

VN Store

Back