Today was my best VOL fan day ever!

I think you should send your son to Minneapolis for Spring Break. Go all out again! Let's top what just happened!

Really enjoyed your story!

Reactions: volstuckinwa
Seven months ago, I was sitting in front of my computer trying to decide which tickets to buy for my son and I to attend Today's game vs Gonzaga. The tickets I really wanted were like $200 each, right next to the Tennessee bench. My wife encouraged me to get these tickets, since it was a gift to my son. The fact that he goes to school at Grand Canyon Univ and at the time I lived in Southern California, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to splurge and have this experience with him. Since then, we have moved to the Phoenix area and he and I have been looking forward to today with great anticipation. As you all know, the game was incredible! Sitting among some of support staff for the team was really cool as well! As the game ended, the celebration ensued and it was really awesome to be a part of! It took a while for us to calm down and get back to normal heart rates but eventually we did. As the second game started, we were still in awe of what we had just seen, when one of the gentlemen that was with the team came back out to ask us specifically if we had met any of the players. My son said, "I told Bowden good game." He said hang out here for a minute and I'll be right back. After about 8-10 minutes, he came back out and told us to follow him. He took us back where the team was coming out and we were able to meet and take a few photos with players. We met Coach Barnes, Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Lamonte Turner, Jordan Bone and Kyle Alexander. Just so all Vol fans know, these young men could not have been more friendly, polite or engaging. Coach Barnes had me thinking that we were long lost friends and he was elated to see me. This team is special y'all. These young men love each other, love their coach and love to compete. I have never been more proud to be a VOL fan than today! It's great to be Tennessee Vol!!!
Nice!

Still on cloud 9 today after that experience! Thanks for all the nice comments and yes I will cherish those memories with my son, just like my dad did with me. One thing that was obvious to me is that our team was really down after that Kansas loss, but knew they were better than that. This team is giving everything they have for a championship and I don't mean just in the SEC. Again, I am still overwhelmed at how great Coach Barnes is as leader and developer of young men. We are blessed to have that man lead our program! Go VOLS!

Seven months ago, I was sitting in front of my computer trying to decide which tickets to buy for my son and I to attend Today's game vs Gonzaga. The tickets I really wanted were like $200 each, right next to the Tennessee bench. My wife encouraged me to get these tickets, since it was a gift to my son. The fact that he goes to school at Grand Canyon Univ and at the time I lived in Southern California, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to splurge and have this experience with him. Since then, we have moved to the Phoenix area and he and I have been looking forward to today with great anticipation. As you all know, the game was incredible! Sitting among some of support staff for the team was really cool as well! As the game ended, the celebration ensued and it was really awesome to be a part of! It took a while for us to calm down and get back to normal heart rates but eventually we did. As the second game started, we were still in awe of what we had just seen, when one of the gentlemen that was with the team came back out to ask us specifically if we had met any of the players. My son said, "I told Bowden good game." He said hang out here for a minute and I'll be right back. After about 8-10 minutes, he came back out and told us to follow him. He took us back where the team was coming out and we were able to meet and take a few photos with players. We met Coach Barnes, Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Lamonte Turner, Jordan Bone and Kyle Alexander. Just so all Vol fans know, these young men could not have been more friendly, polite or engaging. Coach Barnes had me thinking that we were long lost friends and he was elated to see me. This team is special y'all. These young men love each other, love their coach and love to compete. I have never been more proud to be a VOL fan than today! It's great to be Tennessee Vol!!!
This right here is what it is all about. Thanks for sharing.

I love the kind of people and emphasis we have in our program. It really is family. Barnes was somebody who I just had to look at what his old players said about him. Also watched a video once of him and TJ Ford. How Barnes went to see him graduate. And the way they spoke of each other and just how Barnes is there for the guys...shows me he's a great coach. He cares about his players a lot. Even Josiah James was saying it's what made him want to come here. That when he arrived that everybody was waiting to greet him. His video with TJ: T.J. Ford gets diploma, fulfills promise to Rick Barnes

"volstuckinwa" I absolutely loved reading your post and it was so eerily similar to our experience yesterday as well!!! I am still feeling high from yesterday's game and I thought surely my group and I would have the best story to share with our Vol Family but this story is great! I'll share our experience later tonight when I am able to post some photos. Yesterday was special to say the least and was by far one of the best days I've ever had. Glad you and your son got to experience all you did together, you are a great dad!

Reactions: volstuckinwa
Just a great story. Each and every one of these accounts makes me love this team more. Barnes has been the best thing to happen to UT sports in 20 years.

Yep. They had a great starting five, but not much bench, most years. Darden, Jackson, and Johnson. If they'd had much bench help, I believe they could/would have won a national title.

Ashworth was an undersized low post. Too bad Johnson wasn't a year or two older or Kosmalski a couple of years younger. Doug Ashworth would have been a great role player coming off if the bench. Also tragic that David Moss didn't get to play alongside Mike Jackson.

Reactions: i2amavol
I remember those days, but I think they had another player that was excellent but was always in the background. Not sure of his name, maybe Jackson? I loved watching them pound Ky!!
your talking about mark jackson , my girlfriends dad was the point guard on that team . rodney woods number 10

your talking about mark jackson , my girlfriends dad was the point guard on that team . rodney woods number 10

Mike, not Mark.

Rodney Woods is my favorite UT PG, but I never saw Danny Shultz play. I think that Woods played with Grunfeld his first 2 years and just one year with Bernard. Then Darden was the PG for the last 2 years of the Ernie and Bernie Show.

Dickie Johnston was another early 70s point guard that, I think was him, fired oranges thrown at UT back into the Vanderbilt crowd. That's Vol Hall of Fame worthy in my book.

DS and Tom Boerwinkle must have been a fun high-low combo to watch in the long ass possession era. I think that Bill Justus might have played with Shultz for 2 years.

Mike, not Mark.

Rodney Woods is my favorite UT PG, but I never saw Danny Shultz play. I think that Woods played with Grunfeld his first 2 years and just one year with Bernard. Then Darden was the PG for the last 2 years of the Ernie and Bernie Show.

Dickie Johnston was another early 70s point guard that, I think was him, fired oranges thrown at UT back into the Vanderbilt crowd. That's Vol Hall of Fame worthy in my book.

DS and Tom Boerwinkle must have been a fun high-low combo to watch in the long ass possession era. I think that Bill Justus might have played with Shultz for 2 years.
Rodney got exepted last year into the national hall of fame for high school coaches he coaches at Wayne county high school in Kentucky now . He also was the head coach for my brother's in grafe school when they won a state title at Powell valley in Tennessee . If you want a autographed bball or something just let me know

I haven't felt so happy while reading a VN post in a long, long time.

Rodney got exepted last year into the national hall of fame for high school coaches he coaches at Wayne county high school in Kentucky now . He also was the head coach for my brother's in grafe school when they won a state title at Powell valley in Tennessee . If you want a autographed bball or something just let me know

Thanks. I'll have to check my collection. I might already have RW on a program or 2.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back