To Protect and to Serve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A. There are not more excessive force instances.

B. Cops are not more "militarized".

I would argue...

A. There are more video cameras with people willing to come forward. Plus there is more media exposure.

B. There is more aggressive investigations conducted on rogue officers.

Absolutely. I've explained the rise of the camera phone on here before. There are actually FAR less instances of excessive force now than there used to be. I would definitely listen to the argument that police are by and large becoming more militarized though. I would say that that is probably true in that police feel the need to up the ante to effectively deal with the crazies out there. The last part is just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I've explained the rise of the camera phone on here before. There are actually FAR less instances of excessive force now than there used to be. I would definitely listen to the argument that police are by and large becoming more militarized though. I would say that that is probably true in that police feel the need to up the ante to effectively deal with the crazies out there. The last part is just my opinion of course.

I do see an effort to militarize police in our country. When I compare the older guys with the new recruits, there is a definite look and personality of the younger guys. This is coming from the progression of the recruiting system that does the following:
Looks for a set of specific personality types; background checks that include juvenile records; IQ tests that look for a limited range (i.e. smart but not too smart) and so forth.

Gone are the days when a kid from the streets who made a few mistakes growing up could change his ways and join the ranks. Gone are also the days when the genius, the quirky problem solver, or the book worm could pass the qualifications to get into the academy. Instead we get the jock who was a B student who always saw the world in terms of black and white, good vs evil. Don't get me wrong, they are good men and women, but I question whether they are the right ones to solve the complex questions we face today.

I have this discussion with my police friends (the ones my age--50) all the time and point out the differences between them and the rookies. They just say that is what they are given and try to make them into the best officers they can. Some successfully grow into effective peace officers, but a percentage, well don't.

B. Cops are not more "militarized".

Tim, I would argue that there is something to be made of this topic. The elephant in the room is whether or not the modern criminal element might actually justify (to at least some degree, and there's your real point of contention) that shift.

Holy **** you are scary.

How's that? You thought that was a large cut?

Edit: Maybe she was bleeding out of her mouth. I'm not sure what makes me scary I said it was stupid and made an observation about the amount of blood coming out of a small cut.

Last edited:
In other words, a few misdemeanors but no felonies.

Three kids, no husband, and on (and kicked off) the government dole.

Next.

images

Reactions: 1 person
On October 22, a 13-year old boy was shot and killed by Santa Rosa, California Sheriff's deputies after they saw him walking down the street with what they thought to be an "assault rifle."

According to the Associated Press, the deputies ordered the boy to drop the weapon and eventually "fired several rounds." The boy fell to the ground and was handcuffed, after which the deputies "began administering first aid."

The 13-year old was pronounced dead at the scene. It turns out his "assault weapon" was only a replica. He also had a "plastic handgun in his waistband."

CA Deputies Shoot, Kill 13-Year-Old Carrying Fake 'Assault Weapon'

On October 22, a 13-year old boy was shot and killed by Santa Rosa, California Sheriff's deputies after they saw him walking down the street with what they thought to be an "assault rifle."

According to the Associated Press, the deputies ordered the boy to drop the weapon and eventually "fired several rounds." The boy fell to the ground and was handcuffed, after which the deputies "began administering first aid."

The 13-year old was pronounced dead at the scene. It turns out his "assault weapon" was only a replica. He also had a "plastic handgun in his waistband."

CA Deputies Shoot, Kill 13-Year-Old Carrying Fake 'Assault Weapon'

Tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back