'20 TN WR Holden Willis (USF commit)

Ok, we get that for some reason you do not want this kid to be a part of our program even though our staff has given him an offer to join as a PWO. Trust your own analysis or that of folks with insider information that you value. I am going to go with our staff. There is risk in trying to analyze players in lower divisions of HS ball. Got it. I am guessing he is aware of that as he has talked with all the schools that have offered him different opportunities. So why don't we let him analyze all of those and if he determines he is willing to risk one semester of his life to pursue playing football at a P5 school, the one closest to his home none the less, and he is comfortable with the honesty and integrity of our staff it can turn into a win win for both him and UT. If not, and he needs to be playing at a lower level he can transfer down and play immediately at his next school choice. It could be his safest choice, rather than wondering about the opportunity the rest of his life. An issue for most kids offered a PWO. Who knows what a guy with his tools can do with some natural maturity, a top tier training table and strength facility and a lot of hard work. Only one way to find out.

Further serial attacks on him are not necessary and certainly not productive. I am glad that if he is looking on this board he can easily determine by the number of responses to your post give him a more fair look into the composition of the Orange nation.

He said he wouldn't advise anyone to do a PWO to any school. That is what UT is offering right now. Our staff is not offering a scholly. Therefore, @de1conley is saying he would tell the kid if giving his own advice, to go to a smaller school who would give him a scholly. Also, it seems conley is saying if the kid want to PWO and parents want to as well then do that. He would give him the advice not to but that is all advice is. Person getting it can accept it or reject it. In this case, he is not trying to direct him away from any school but telling him what he thinks is best. That is what you are suppose to do if asked. Give your opinion. Correct me if I am wrong @de1conley who also knows, he and I have argued a lot in the past and had plenty of disagreements but I think he is spot on this time.

Another thing everyone has to understand about De1 is NPA is a part of the service industry for lack of a better term, although I do agree with his stance about tearing up your body for free, it also looks better for NPA to say we took this 1a player and got him a scholarship to Tulane instead of a PWO to Tennessee, it's a business decision for both parties.

Hey, I am a donor but if my kid has a full scholly at Tulane which is a good academic school in contrast to PWO and us paying funds for UT, I am advising Tulane all day if it has his major and will be good for him. We both love UT and he would go there today if he was having to make the decision.

@GUNTERSVOL let me address this for the last time. I used Orleans Darkwa as an example. I never said this kid should or could go to Tulane. I also stated Orleans took the scholarship to Tulane over PWO or any color shirt from Kiff and company. In my examples of offers or schools i said would better suit the kid such as UTC level maybe MTSU. I also stated this is not from a fan's perspective but a person who has advised kids of what's the better decision. I Do Not know of the kid's family finances but free money and playing time are things you look at. As far as what a coach promises let me inform you that they ALL lie and make situations look like heaven on earth when there is no guarantee of anything once they get your signature. Again even @bigl3327 has explained there is no true value in PWO other than being a part of the team at practice. Kids want to play. Why waste years earnining something when you can take a scholarship from a school who truly wants or needs you? Its really common sense seriously.

Also unless CJP has got it to change, PWO's for football still have to pay for a meal plan from their own funds even thought they can eat at the same table with the 85.

Reactions: de1conley
Hey, I am a donor but if my kid has a full scholly at Tulane which is a good academic school in contrast to PWO and us paying funds for UT, I am advising Tulane all day if it has his major and will be good for him. We both love UT and he would go there today if he was having to make the decision.

He gets in-state tuition, the lottery scholarship, and access to merit scholarships. It's hardly a huge financial commitment in exchange for facilities, coaching, and competition that are significantly better than any G5 school. Not necessarily a slam dunk, but it's certainly worth considering.

Facts Jacket

Reactions: JacketVol
Hey JV, you being being a donor, would you be be upset if the PWO turned into an offer for Willis? I mean it’s a long shot probably at this point. After listening to Jessie Smithy’s comments about Willis on the 12/27 Sports Animal podcast, his observation is he absolutely a P5 prospect fwiw.

He said he wouldn't advise anyone to do a PWO to any school. That is what UT is offering right now. Our staff is not offering a scholly. Therefore, @de1conley is saying he would tell the kid if giving his own advice, to go to a smaller school who would give him a scholly. Also, it seems conley is saying if the kid want to PWO and parents want to as well then do that. He would give him the advice not to but that is all advice is. Person getting it can accept it or reject it. In this case, he is not trying to direct him away from any school but telling him what he thinks is best. That is what you are suppose to do if asked. Give your opinion. Correct me if I am wrong @de1conley who also knows, he and I have argued a lot in the past and had plenty of disagreements but I think he is spot on this time.

We have heard him a bunch of times. Some of us are hoping his level of VOL fandom leads him to take the PWO if having a shot to be a VOL is worth some financial outlay. He might be one of those that would hate wondering what if all his life. If not we too hope he gets a scholly that makes him happy.

PWO route worked out pretty well for Hunter Renfrow. He had scholarships to other schools as well but he and his family loved Clemson. If the kid loves UT and feels confident enough in his abilities that he could come in and walk on then be put on scholarship then good for him. But if he also feels like he can go somewhere else and play immediately on scholarship then good for him as well. To each their own!

PWO route worked out pretty well for Hunter Renfrow. He had scholarships to other schools as well but he and his family loved Clemson. If the kid loves UT and feels confident enough in his abilities that he could come in and walk on then be put on scholarship then good for him. But if he also feels like he can go somewhere else and play immediately on scholarship then good for him as well. To each their own!
Renfrow list as 5’11” 180+ lbs, put the work in and got it done. Would be shock if he chooses to go the PWO @ UT route and didn’t get it done as well. Again, he finished top 10 (8th) at the Nike camp in Murfreesboro ahead of SEC, ACC, Big 10 4&5* commits for which he had not trained for, imagine what this kid would be with top level training and coaching with his size and speed.

Reactions: JacketVol
He gets in-state tuition, the lottery scholarship, and access to merit scholarships. It's hardly a huge financial commitment in exchange for facilities, coaching, and competition that are significantly better than any G5 school. Not necessarily a slam dunk, but it's certainly worth considering.

The biggest complaint I have heard from parents with PWO children is the meal plan. One kid had a hope and was a 4.0 student. So, may not be as bad as getting nothing but they should change this. We’ve got the funds and plenty of folks give them funds.

Hey JV, you being being a donor, would you be be upset if the PWO turned into an offer for Willis? I mean it’s a long shot probably at this point. After listening to Jessie Smithy’s comments about Willis on the 12/27 Sports Animal podcast, his observation is he absolutely a P5 prospect fwiw.

Heck, of our coaches think he should be one of the counters then why would I care. It’s their butts on the line. Also, it is his decision to walk on or not. Him and his family have to figure that out. If he comes here, I hope to see him in the checkerboard a few times. I wish him nothing but success regardless.

Exactly

You always need at least one white TN kid on the roster as a wr. He’ll end up being the go to possession receiver (and great leader) as a senior.

Reactions: Rabid Vol
If he takes a PWO and has the ability and talent we all hope he has, he will be on scholarship for the team he loves within a year. Also, I guarantee his family will never pay a red cent.

VOLINVONORE said:

It appears that big3327 doesn't know a whole lot about football but thinks he wrote the book.

I think Willis made the 5⭐️ Preps all decade team!

How the hell does this apply to anything I've said?

The biggest complaint I have heard from parents with PWO children is the meal plan. One kid had a hope and was a 4.0 student. So, may not be as bad as getting nothing but they should change this. We’ve got the funds and plenty of folks give them funds.
These ppl don't realize that 1 successful PWO is the minority and hell schools sign them yrly and 1 out of however many is signed is a small window of success regardless of what a coach promises. Remember how Bush League Butch didn't let those kids eat at the MCB and on the road trips a few yrs back?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what is this kid's actual best offer for a scholarship? All this talk about how underrated he is, is there any big time school offering him a guaranteed scholly?

These ppl don't realize that 1 successful PWO is the minority and hell schools sign them yrly and 1 out of however many is signed is a small window of success regardless of what a coach promises. Remember how Bish League Butch didn't let those kids eat at the MCB and on the road trips a few yrs back?
De1 we know your position, take the free money and that’s great if he does. If he takes PWO he’ll have my full support either way.
BTW CJP is running the show now.

VN Store

Back