‘23 TN RB DeSean Bishop (Tennessee commit)

The lines are actively involved in wrestling/jousting each other, not absorbing focused hits 80% of the times they touch the ball. And yeah, they get hurt, too.

Long story short, if you can't recognize that running a kid 40+ times a game is mismanagement, we aren't going to find common ground, so you're best off to just agree to disagree.

There are no universal truths about carries and their impact on ball carriers. I have watched a lot of his games and I have seen guys with ten carries a game get more hard contact than this kid. Not to mention the variation in level of competition at the HS level. Like I said to others before all his games are viewable this very day for free. Go watch a representative amount of his games and see what you see. He is so smooth even his cuts look effortless as well as his acceleration. He is not the toughest or fastest kid around but his timing and vision make it tough to analyze him on just metrics. He seems to pick his spots as when to dish it out or accept tough contact and has no problem stepping out of bounds or slowing up to change angles if needed.

There are no universal truths about carries and their impact on ball carriers. I have watched a lot of his games and I have seen guys with ten carries a game get more hard contact than this kid. Not to mention the variation in level of competition at the HS level. Like I said to others before all his games are viewable this very day for free. Go watch a representative amount of his games and see what you see. He is so smooth even his cuts look effortless as well as his acceleration. He is not the toughest or fastest kid around but his timing and vision make it tough to analyze him on just metrics. He seems to pick his spots as when to dish it out or accept tough contact and has no problem stepping out of bounds or slowing up to change angles if needed.
My biggest concern is the more carries the more opportunities for a freak injury. 49 carries is almost begging for something to happen. Regardless of contact that 47th jump cut could absolutely be catastrophic to a ligament without contact.

My biggest concern is the more carries the more opportunities for a freak injury. 49 carries is almost begging for something to happen. Regardless of contact that 47th jump cut could absolutely be catastrophic to a ligament without contact.
This.

I hear you, and everyone will have to factor in how many reps in practice the other six days involve contact and cuts. Some guys are so smooth, have some instincts and use their vision to minimize the stress on each move and allow for so much less dangerous contact. So once again I suggest that you take a game or two of his and quantify the number of carries that don't have those risk factors and subtract those from the total. Metrics do in fact have limitations. He is not a power back, nor a real speed back, but one that mixes in intangibles with way above average athleticism. He uses his blocks very well and leans to avoid contact not initiate or accept contact and does take advantage of the sideline more than many would like. Part of his and his coaches mitigation of risk. Odds do increase with each GLIDING carry, but not equally with the more typical plant and one cut type backs. This style which involves more carries to the edge with occasional off tackle type runs when he sees a gap and a few draws might not translate to D1 and in fact might not work next year when a whole new line is in front of him... time will tell. Making hay right now may well be his best plan to maximize his reputation and his college choices.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Odd how he has the numbers he has but no rankings and mediocre offers.

It is amazing how numbers in High School don't always translate to College.
Bishop does seem different though......

This is All-Time Leaders in Tennessee...based on the terrible TSSAA website. Not sure how accurate.

Besides Troy Fleming and Xavier Crawford (best HS player I've ever seen play).not sure any of these guys ever played college football.

All Time Passing

Kyle Akin Trinity Christian Academy 11,122
2011-2014
Cade Larkins David Crockett 11,042
2016-2019
Cole Smith Christian Academy of Knoxville 11,032
2013-2016
Charlie High Christian Academy of Knoxville 10,978
2010-2012
Kenton Evans Westwood 10,519
1993-1995

All Time Rushing

Troy Fleming Battle Ground Academy 9,442
1995-1998
Marco Dailey Mt. Pleasant 8,003
2004-2007
Joe Longmire Bruceton Central 7,530
1992-1995
Tripp Tucker University School of Jackson 7,355
1995-1998
Kemari McGowan Middle Tennessee Christian School 7,044
2016-2019
Xavier Crawford Trezevant 6,784
1985-1987

Bishop finished the season with 3,164 yards 2nd most in TSSAA in a single season. Last night had 4 rushing TD, 1 receiving TD, and 1 passing TD, in the loss to Rhea County.

In the KNS they said he missed the single season record for number of carries by just a few, the record is still owned by Jeff Womack of McMinnville. I remember we recruited him and he ended up at Memphis, was lighting it up until he suffered a horrific knee injury vaulting over a defender for a TD.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
DeSean Bishop finished his junior season with 3,164 rushing yards - the second-best single season in TSSAA history - in Karns' 63-48 second-round loss to Rhea County on Friday night. Bishop finished the night with 268 yards rushing. He is 193 yards short of the state record of 3,357 yards set in 2012 by former Tennessee Vols running back Jalen Hurd at Beech. Bishop entered the game No. 5 on the all-time single-season list. He passed BGA's Troy Fleming (3,008 in 1998), Powell's Dy'Shawn Mobley (3,068 in 2011) and Trinity's Andrew Goldsmith (3,139 in 2015).
DeSean Bishop has second-best rushing season in TSSAA football history

Bishop also had 5 catches for 115 yards and a TD last night, and he passed for a TD as well.

DeSean Bishop finished his junior season with 3,164 rushing yards - the second-best single season in TSSAA history - in Karns' 63-48 second-round loss to Rhea County on Friday night. Bishop finished the night with 268 yards rushing. He is 193 yards short of the state record of 3,357 yards set in 2012 by former Tennessee Vols running back Jalen Hurd at Beech. Bishop entered the game No. 5 on the all-time single-season list. He passed BGA's Troy Fleming (3,008 in 1998), Powell's Dy'Shawn Mobley (3,068 in 2011) and Trinity's Andrew Goldsmith (3,139 in 2015).
DeSean Bishop has second-best rushing season in TSSAA football history

Bishop also had 5 catches for 115 yards and a TD last night, and he passed for a TD as well.

Followed the CoachT scoreboard all night while watching the Farragut game here in the Ktown area. I guess the TSSAA sold the rights to all broadcasts rights to that one group and could not watch him on Diamond Clear like I usually do for several games on their site each Friday. I sure have enjoyed watching this guy. Is he just a gamer or is he an exceptional athlete that is a gamer? Get to follow him again next year behind a rebuilt line that will impact his numbers I would think. I can't reach a decision on his D1 impact potential, just can't. Great story this year regardless.

Y’all, this man’s Jr year highlight video is 12:01 minutes long. Every play from 0:00 until 8:33 is him scoring a TD. At 8:33 he throws a TD and then the next play he Throws another TD. After the second TD throw he goes to score TD’s on every play until the 10:58 mark. I think only 3/4 Plays during the whole 12 minutes does he not score or throw a TD.

This kid has elite vision and tackle breaking ability. Like Dobbs, he can move just enough often times to not take a solid hit. He will be a very productive college player if he stays healthy.

VN Store

Back