‘23 TN RB DeSean Bishop (Tennessee commit)

I get that. But being a PWO, behind full ride guys, how much of a look are you really going to get?
Personally, I'd go somewhere where I know I'm gonna get a real shot at PT.

You don’t think he and Coach had that discussion? We get him plus 85 other guys and he gets a SPYRE scholly instead to add to Hope and Pell money. He COULD get more than some scholly guys. Standard schollys are defined I think. NIL not so much.

There are No downsides to match him going elsewhere and blowing up. Will be glad when he is signed sealed and delivered. We don’t even know the source of his NIL money yet, much less the amount(s).

I get that. But being a PWO, behind full ride guys, how much of a look are you really going to get?
I understand that perspective, I think it boils down to how confident you are in betting on yourself, and what level of athlete you truly are.

Biggest knock on him I feel is that his level of comp hasn't been great, but it was reported that he did earn an offer coming out of camp at UT last year (which IG turned out to not be a commit-able one later on down the road?)

PWO's start at a disadvantage I'm sure, but if he practices well (i.e. Runs with good vision, handles blocking assignments, shows burst (I think he's been clocked in the mid 4.5's), shows good ball security etc.) he can see PT just like any other back on the roster.

I think the staff puts the best players on the field and if he's one of them then he won't be an exception.

Plus he's got the portal down the line to go to a smaller school and get a scholarship if things don't pan out.

Reactions: KptVFL and peaygolf
You don’t think he and Coach had that discussion? We get him plus 85 other guys and he gets a SPYRE scholly instead to add to Hope and Pell money. He COULD get more than some scholly guys. Standard schollys are defined I think. NIL not so much.

There are No downsides to match him going elsewhere and blowing up. Will be glad when he is signed sealed and delivered. We don’t even know the source of his NIL money yet, much less the amount(s).
Yea. I'm sure they had a discussion.
I just doubt that a walk on is going to get a lot of NIL money, I admit I don't really know how it all works. And I did say what I would do..........not what he should do.

Reactions: KptVFL
I just doubt that a walk on is going to get a lot of NIL money, I admit I don't really know how it all works. And I did say what I would do..........not what he should do.
Color me surprised....I didn't think he'd take this deal unless being a Vol was the most important thing for him, and it might be. I've heard the talk that coaches give to persuade potential PWOs. What they don't tell you is that your chances of ever being more than a glorified practice dummy are slim. If you're betting on yourself, then you take the scholarship to the smaller school. Ball out and then hit the portal. The coaches are trying to bring in 2 more elite RBs on scholarship every year that you're there, or get one from the portal. I'm happy to have him and wish him the best, and that he proves all the doubters wrong. This is just the hardest route to take.

Reactions: KptVFL and peaygolf
Dang, imagine if he had really worked and matured in HS. Just casually he was limited to only winning the 5A MR. Football twice. Heck with a little effort he could have ended up as THE all time leading rusher instead of settling for second.

Is blue font really needed here?

He is not a big back, nor a burner, but was impressive none the less.

That has nothing to do with his attitude/actions while on the field and court while representing his school.

His numbers in large extent, are a product of massive overuse by his coaches as well, 50 and 60 touches a game. But it is what it is. Hopefully he works out and is an exceptional player.

Color me surprised....I didn't think he'd take this deal unless being a Vol was the most important thing for him, and it might be. I've heard the talk that coaches give to persuade potential PWOs. What they don't tell you is that your chances of ever being more than a glorified practice dummy are slim. If you're betting on yourself, then you take the scholarship to the smaller school. Ball out and then hit the portal. The coaches are trying to bring in 2 more elite RBs on scholarship every year that you're there, or get one from the portal. I'm happy to have him and wish him the best, and that he proves all the doubters wrong. This is just the hardest route to take.
Exactly.........

Reactions: bigl3327

I do not predict he is a game changer as a player but probably a contributor, but could have surpassed Randall Cobb as biggest local miss by UT staff in history. Being 2nd leading rusher all time in state is an attention getter. So if this does work out that is off the table.

It is not rocket science that only instate kids with Hope added to Pell makes NIL portion easily attainable to be cost neutral to a regular scholly. Being local adds game day savings for family and extended family to the equation.

That and AP not writing him off made me think this was in play for a while. Have taken a lot of abuse for even proposing it. I think this can become a huge NIL factor in the future.

Indeed it is. However, it's beem done.
Pak Garland at ILB
One of out RTs from Tennessee High ?
Colton Jumper of course.

Bishop is comparable to Jabari Small.

He's a GREAT value take.

That has nothing to do with his attitude/actions while on the field and court while representing his school.

His numbers in large extent, are a product of massive overuse by his coaches as well, 50 and 60 touches a game. But it is what it is. Hopefully he works out and is an exceptional player.

What kind of fuzzy math are you using. According to Max preps he had 2413 yards with 317 attempts. He missed one game so I think with a playoff game he had 10. 32 ain’t 50. More urban legend stuff on our boards. If it was 11 games even less. Btw he only shows up on the 2nd page nationally. One kid in TN had 3200 yards and evidently lived.

Happy for him, but hard to imagine we couldn’t find another recruit or transfer prospect more ready to contribute. Would have preferred stallings. Hope this works out better than expectations for both parties sake.

Gotta love it!!!!!!

"Obviously, having the chance to play locally was a key determiner in the end as well.

"It was a big appeal," Bishop said on staying home. "I live 15 minutes from campus, so to have my family be able to get there will be good. It will always be great to always be a few minutes from there. It ended up being a dream come true. A kid's dream to play at Neyland and dreaming of Tennessee, so that is going to be fun." "

Just In: Local RB DeSean Bishop Commits to Vols, Makes 'Dream Come True'
😭😭😭🧡

Happy for him, but hard to imagine we couldn’t find another recruit or transfer prospect more ready to contribute. Would have preferred stallings. Hope this works out better than expectations for both parties sake.
Why exactly can we not still find another transfer? He is stopping nothing while getting a chance to prove the low ranking wrong.

Reactions: barrylee
And he may transfer to a better option for him after getting training and competition at Tennessee and living out his dream of playing in Neyland wearing orange.

Reactions: WillisWG
Indeed it is. However, it's beem done.
Pak Garland at ILB
One of out RTs from Tennessee High ?
Colton Jumper of course.

Bishop is comparable to Jabari Small.

He's a GREAT value take.
I have zero issues with getting a PWO of this caliber. Pak and Dayne Davis were fortunate due to the Pruitt transition. While it does happen, it's very much like being an undrafted free agent.

I have zero issues with getting a PWO of this caliber. Pak and Dayne Davis were fortunate due to the Pruitt transition. While it does happen, it's very much like being an undrafted free agent.
Taco boy left UT for the NFL as an undrafted free agent. Was on the practice squad for the Texans, before becoming their starter.

It happens.

Taco boy left UT for the NFL as an undrafted free agent. Was on the practice squad for the Texans, before becoming their starter.

It happens.
Arian Foster was a scholarship RB. 3 star our of Mission Bay HS

It happens.
We've had lots of UFAs make rosters and get playing time from UT. The percentages from PWO to starter are just super low, but make great stories. Baker Mayfield, Stetson Bennett.....

VN Store

Back