'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

Anna Hickey is a known clemson homer, and she gave the cb in October, so I wouldn’t put much stock In her cb, and Wilts is only a confidence level of 6, if there was any leaks or true hints on where ty was going it would be a higher confidence level

The longer she goes without changing her pick though...

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Really depends where in state, you could create a heat map for this:

Memphis: Split UT, Bama, Ole MIss with a little Arky. Edge: UT
Rest of West Tennessee: Solid UT
Metro Nashville and surrounding counties: tOSU, Bama, UT, now Clempson. No edge, lots of transients from all over the country.
Rural Middle Tennessee: Bama/UT. Edge: UT
East Tennessee: UT/Clemson. Solid Edge: UT

Though UT has edge in most areas, the population boom in middle Tennessee actually skews the weighted average to out of state schools.

Answer: We just have to get good again. Problem solved.
Exactly. All we have to do is win. Despite what some say on here, this place recruits itself. If we could get good players to come here the past 10-12 years with mediocre head coaches imagine what could happen if Heupel starts winning games here. I would say even if we go 6-6 or 7-5 next year, but look good doing it we’re gonna do very well recruiting wise. Hopefully the sanctions won’t hold us back too much.

On the mailbag edition of the VolQuest podcast brought to us by our friends at Blue Water Climate Control AP said that before Pruitt was fired he was going to commit to Tennessee. Anna Hickey seems to be revered here for some reason, but if AP is correct, then both she and Wiltfong would have been incorrect.
A4568EB3-A20E-4213-9A0A-CCB65D4C5C94.gif

Anna Hickey is a known clemson homer, and she gave the cb in October, so I wouldn’t put much stock In her cb, and Wilts is only a confidence level of 6, if there was any leaks or true hints on where ty was going it would be a higher confidence level
That CB was given the day after we lost to UK. So there’s that.

Honestly, if I was Ty I would commit to Clemson now in order to lock in my spot in their class (since Clemson usually likes to lock in their class early) but I tell Heupel that if his offense shows promise during the ‘21 season, I’ll flip my commitment over to the good guys.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Not doubting you, I just really don't know. I've seen other people say he grew up in Mississippi and is an Ole Miss fan.

I can tell you he's been in Martin about 10-12 years or so now (his Dad really has done well with a program that won 1-2 games a year when I was there) and that area is Deep Orange territory.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Not doubting you, I just really don't know. I've seen other people say he grew up in Mississippi and is an Ole Miss fan.
AP has been the one that has said it a lot, about how much he really does love UT and Knoxville....said it multiple times and has described this decision as a heart (UT) vs. Head (Bama, Clemson) decision on more than one occasion....

While I understand the question about the timing, I wouldn't totally dismiss Anna Hickey. You can call her a homer, but her past information has been spot on, so she's getting it from a legit source at Clemson.
But the “legit source” isn’t Ty Simpson.

Anna Hickey is usually not the crystal ball you want to see as she is usually on it for Clemson. However once they added confidence levels to picks she put this one in after Ky beat us. She said her pick was not based on any information outside of she thought that loss would lead to TN being really bad and we would take ourselves out. That is all it is.

AP is the one to listen to here. He knows Ty and his family better than anyone else in media. I would also not expect him to tell anyone he is going to announcement or he won’t go at all no matter what as it would tip off the announcement. So anyone expecting him to say he is going your wasting your breath as he either isn’t going to go or he will lie until after announcement.

Anna Hickey is usually not the crystal ball you want to see as she is usually on it for Clemson. However once they added confidence levels to picks she put this one in after Ky beat us. She said her pick was not based on any information outside of she thought that loss would lead to TN being really bad and we would take ourselves out. That is all it is.

AP is the one to listen to here. He knows Ty and his family better than anyone else in media. I would also not expect him to tell anyone he is going to announcement or he won’t go at all no matter what as it would tip off the announcement. So anyone expecting him to say he is going your wasting your breath as he either isn’t going to go or he will lie until after announcement.

AP seemed to be dropping positive hints on the Locker Room last night. Maybe, I'm reading too much into it.

AP seemed to be dropping positive hints on the Locker Room last night. Maybe, I'm reading too much into it.

Tys tweet about the other kids gives me some hope that he is talking to them about TN and their thoughts on staff and what if scenarios leading up to his announcement to see who all he could get to join him if he did choose the riskier option

He’s stated that “he’s not slated to attend the announcement” which sent Griddle into a tizzy. He clarified that he still feels UT is very much in it...just that he doesn’t know.

Reactions: feathersax
Based on different quotes, it seems like he really wants to play in the SEC.

A&M - has their QB.

Ole Miss - family ties and proximity but doesn't appear to be leaning that way.

Bama - TS said he likes the position coach and coordinator there but knows they have a lot of coaching turnover. He says players choose Bama because of Saban. He later says that he will pick a school because of the school, not the coaches.

I feel like he wants to go to Tennessee and if he chooses somewhere else, he will be settling, so to speak. If the investigation wraps soon, we'll know our punishment. If there is a 1-year bowl ban, it won't affect Simpson at all. He could be "the guy" instead of a guy, helping rebuild our program.

Ty has made the decision. He was ready to commit last week. He's still doing Zoom calls with UT coaches and talking with TN HS kids.

I haven't seen anything on him having contact with other schools lately. Twitter is weirdly quiet about him.

Read into that what you will.
Like this science! I’ve never wavered since he made his previous Feb 19 intended announcement. We weren’t eliminated...quite the contrary. Waited until his first phone calls from Heupel to make his choice. I’m on record...it’s us.

FL only landed 4 of the top 30 players in state.

AL swooped in and landed 7 of the top 15 in FL.

The advantage FL has is there were (9) 5* players and (47) 4* in the ‘21 class. That’s just ridiculous. But FL kids ain’t loyal to FL like Georgia kids to UGA and pretty much any kid in the country to Bama.
Life long Vol fans have little relevance to kids in Tennessee like it does in states like Florida, Georgia, or Alabama. That is the reason it is easy for teams to pull players out of this state. The kids in other states value the home school much more than Tennessee kids even when we are doing well. Tennessee has always had to go regionally, or nationally to complement what talent we could get instate.
Really a myth that this board has made up about GA kids being so loyal to UGA. While they do pretty good instate, it's not overwhelming and amazing, like some here would love to believe.

Going back to 2015, out of their Top 20 instate prospects, each year UGA has signed: 2021(8); 2020(2); 2019(3); 2018(8); 2017(12); 2016(6); 2015(8)

Also, do you one better. Alabama kids are loyal to Bama, right? Going back to '15, as well...their Top 20 instate prospects, Bama signed: 2021(4); 2020(8); 2019(5); 2018(1); 2017(6); 2016(5); 2015(6)

Auburn: 2021(3); 2020(2); 2019(3); 2018(7); 2017(7); 2016(3); 2015(6)

Loyalty, instate, "close the borders", hometown/instate hero's, whatever...it's all bullsh!t. Recruit the best players, doesn't matter if they're from the moon; and, a kid is going to go wherever he feels comfortable, and has the best relationships...doesn't matter if the school is instate, a thousand miles away, or across the street.

Last edited:

This is why I’m cautiously optimistic about Ty being a Vol, if we were eliminated AP would flat out say it. Also the fact Ty is going on radio shows and talking highly of UT when AP has said multiple times that Ty understands the ramifications of not picking UT and is very calculated in what he says.

This is why I’m cautiously optimistic about Ty being a Vol, if we were eliminated AP would flat out say it. Also the fact Ty is going on radio shows and talking highly of UT when AP has said multiple times that Ty understands the ramifications of not picking UT and is very calculated in what he says.
I think AP has said it in 'he's very calculated' knows what to say on which radio station, he lives in a very pro tennessee area. if Pruitt were still here itd be Tennessee...Clemson's already offered another QB. He's big on relationships...

sounds like Bammer

VN Store

Back