'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

Honestly, if I was Ty I would commit to Clemson now in order to lock in my spot in their class (since Clemson usually likes to lock in their class early) but I tell Heupel that if his offense shows promise during the ‘21 season, I’ll flip my commitment over to the good guys.
If I was Ty I would’ve committed to Tennessee months ago and stayed committed when I found out the next coach ran a better offensive scheme and was more willing to build around me than the last coach I had already liked a lot. Would’ve told Bama and Clemson thanks, but I’m good enough to win big without y’all.

But that lifelong vol fan thing seems to fade out when kids start being recruited

If I was Ty I would’ve committed to Tennessee months ago and stayed committed when I found out the next coach ran a better offensive scheme and was more willing to build around me than the last coach I had already liked a lot. Would’ve told Bama and Clemson thanks, but I’m good enough to win big without y’all.

But that lifelong vol fan thing seems to fade out when kids start being recruited
like AP said, and some media members. If we were even competitive in some games, we'd still be in there for some of these kids. But the fact we lost we way we did, and to Kentucky?! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Is it true that he's a lifelong Vol fan or is that something we've assumed because he's in state?

You're only getting the part of the film, don't kid yourself. He's probably way more consistent with his decision making and timing than can be shown on a simple highlight film. That's why it's so hard to evaluate QBs without all the film.

I thought highlights were their BEST plays!

like AP said, and some media members. If we were even competitive in some games, we'd still be in there for some of these kids. But the fact we lost we way we did, and to Kentucky?! 🤦🏼‍♂️

The only thing more tragic than that loss, were the people still defending Pruitt afterward.

Is it true that he's a lifelong Vol fan or is that something we've assumed because he's in state?
Life long Vol fans have little relevance to kids in Tennessee like it does in states like Florida, Georgia, or Alabama. That is the reason it is easy for teams to pull players out of this state. The kids in other states value the home school much more than Tennessee kids even when we are doing well. Tennessee has always had to go regionally, or nationally to complement what talent we could get instate.

Honestly, if I was Ty I would commit to Clemson now in order to lock in my spot in their class (since Clemson usually likes to lock in their class early) but I tell Heupel that if his offense shows promise during the ‘21 season, I’ll flip my commitment over to the good guys.
Dabo yanks offers from his commits if they even entertain flirting with another school.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Kid (Sam Horn) wants to be a Vol, instate Ty doesn’t. Time to refocus and get after Horn wide open imo. What’s the word on this young man? Anyone familiar and seen him play, know him or his family, level of competition?
AP said:
All these threads because I’m not slated to be there. I’m never slated to be there until a kid tells me too snd I’m always one that protects a kids announcement. At this point I don’t know for certain what Ty is gonna do. I do know his zoom Saturday was the best one yet.

Life long Vol fans have little relevance to kids in Tennessee like it does in states like Florida, Georgia, or Alabama. That is the reason it is easy for teams to pull players out of this state. The kids in other states value the home school much more than Tennessee kids even when we are doing well. Tennessee has always had to go regionally, or nationally to complement what talent we could get instate.

Really depends where in state, you could create a heat map for this:

Memphis: Split UT, Bama, Ole MIss with a little Arky. Edge: UT
Rest of West Tennessee: Solid UT
Metro Nashville and surrounding counties: tOSU, Bama, UT, now Clempson. No edge, lots of transients from all over the country.
Rural Middle Tennessee: Bama/UT. Edge: UT
East Tennessee: UT/Clemson. Solid Edge: UT

Though UT has edge in most areas, the population boom in middle Tennessee actually skews the weighted average to out of state schools.

Answer: We just have to get good again. Problem solved.

I'm telling you, there is just too much lining up in UT's favor.

If the kid wants to actually play, it's the only decision that makes sense.

Blame Pruitt for keeping JG in there after two interceptions.

FL only landed 4 of the top 30 players in state.

AL swooped in and landed 7 of the top 15 in FL.

The advantage FL has is there were (9) 5* players and (47) 4* in the ‘21 class. That’s just ridiculous. But FL kids ain’t loyal to FL like Georgia kids to UGA and pretty much any kid in the country to Bama.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol

The advantage FL has is there were (9) 5* players and (47) 4* in the ‘21 class. That’s just ridiculous. But FL kids ain’t loyal to FL like Georgia kids to UGA and pretty much any kid in the country to Bama.

Florida also has a ton of instate competition vs Bama and UGA. Bama is also on another plane and isn't even worth making comparisons too.

On another note: I've said for years that IMO UGA is the most underperforming program in the country because talent wise their state produces the 4th most talent of any state, and they really don't have much to show for it. States 1-3 (California, Texas, and Florida) all have multiple schools to recruit their talent instate, meaning Georgia has a higher ratio of instate talent vs schools to pull from.

it's all about having options. and right now, even though FL can still fill out a really good class w/out signing the majority of the top 20 kids in state, the reality is the top kids in any state, can go pretty much anywhere they want.

for Alabama kids, south carolina kids, Georgia kids, Ohio kids....it just so happens that their home state schools are the best in the land, so of course they're going to go to to the state school. makes those decisions much easier.

and for the state schools that are struggling, like Tennessee, Tennessee is just another option. not the option.

i think for Simpson, he probably does have a genuine affinity for UT, and under any other circumstance where were a competitive program, even if not championship caliber, he'd pick TN 100% of the time. and i think he believed that's where we were, coming out of 2019, and that his class would be the class that could build on that and help take those next steps.

now we're starting over again.....so, what does he do? i think he's definitely seriously considering TN again, i think CJH and company have peaked some interest, and how couldn't they with the type of offense they bring to the table. i think he knows that he could still help be a spark for some of the others in that 22 class.....and i think there's something to the notion that it would mean more if he could leave a mark/legacy at TN and be part of the reason TN 'gets back'.

but i also think it's hard for him to ignore "what could be" at a place like Alabama or Clemson that already has everything ready made to accomplish all the goals he has set for himself, both individually and as a team..

i'd imagine it's a very hard decision. i could see him going either way at this point.

Reactions: jp1 and MarcoVol
Florida also has a ton of instate competition vs Bama and UGA. Bama is also on another plane and isn't even worth making comparisons too.

On another note: I've said for years that IMO UGA is the most underperforming program in the country because talent wise their state produces the 4th most talent of any state, and they really don't have much to show for it. States 1-3 (California, Texas, and Florida) all have multiple schools to recruit their talent instate, meaning Georgia has a higher ratio of instate talent vs schools to pull from.
with in the borders of GA, sure. but proximity to the ATL metro....it really doesn't matter cause of just how many programs UGA does compete with for GA talent, that are well w/in 3-4 hours from the same recruiting grounds. TN, Bama, Auburn, Clemson, USCe, FSU. go to 6 hours and you're in to the MS, VA, central FL, NC schools....

point being, there's lots of competition for GA talent...and GA has been getting the lion's share of the top GA talent for the last 4-5 years....

that's not to take away from your point about doing less with more; i think it just validates it even more honestly....lol.

Reactions: UTMVol76

I do agree that UGA has underperformed considering their talent. However, Georgia (really the Atlanta area) has had an interesting dynamic. When I was in school in 98-02, Atlanta was a fast growing area. I believe Gwinnet County was the fastest growing county in the country. My brother lived NE of the city off 85. So, there were many transplants just like Nashville. You had many people move in who had allegiances to other schools. Other than being close, UGA wasn't always the desired school. Now, we are 20 years later with a new generation. These kids, who have been raised in Atlanta (even with parents going to other schools), have seen some of UGA's success, and it's much more desirable. They are around others who root for UGA as well. This is making it tougher to recruit the kids that UGA wants.

I think this is something that could eventually evolve in Nashville, too. But, UT has to do its part and at least be relevant.

These kids will be able to see us play this year before they sign...... we can definitely still creat some buzz.

The fact how there are only 3 CB’s for Ty rn tells me that the national guys dont know yet where hes going, just speculation
On the mailbag edition of the VolQuest podcast brought to us by our friends at Blue Water Climate Control AP said that before Pruitt was fired he was going to commit to Tennessee. Anna Hickey seems to be revered here for some reason, but if AP is correct, then both she and Wiltfong would have been incorrect.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
On the mailbag edition of the VolQuest podcast brought to us by our friends at Blue Water Climate Control AP said that before Pruitt was fired he was going to commit to Tennessee. Anna Hickey seems to be revered here for some reason, but if AP is correct, then both she and Wiltfong would have been incorrect.
Anna Hickey is a known clemson homer, and she gave the cb in October, so I wouldn’t put much stock In her cb, and Wilts is only a confidence level of 6, if there was any leaks or true hints on where ty was going it would be a higher confidence level

Anna Hickey is a known clemson homer, and she gave the cb in October, so I wouldn’t put much stock In her cb, and Wilts is only a confidence level of 6, if there was any leaks or true hints on where ty was going it would be a higher confidence level

While I understand the question about the timing, I wouldn't totally dismiss Anna Hickey. You can call her a homer, but her past information has been spot on, so she's getting it from a legit source at Clemson.

While I understand the question about the timing, I wouldn't totally dismiss Anna Hickey. You can call her a homer, but her past information has been spot on, so she's getting it from a legit source at Clemson.
She put her pick in early, though not with high confidence, but it came at a time when Tennessee was looking like trash (the day after the Kentucky beatdown) and it was probably a calculated prediction based on the idea that Bama might be running #3 and Tennessee was fading fast based on bad play and Pruitt looking like a lane duck coach.

Reactions: VolGee4
She put her pick in early, though not with high confidence, but it came at a time when Tennessee was looking like trash (the day after the Kentucky beatdown) and it was probably a calculated prediction based on the idea that Bama might be running #3 and Tennessee was fading fast based on bad play and Pruitt looking like a lane duck coach.

Yep, I think we've discussed her on the bball board. She is usually solid close to the decision, so I wouldn't totally dismiss it.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back