'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

In the VolQuest Blue Water Climate Control podcast mailbag edition AP said the Vols have climbed back in the mix and it will be a “head vs heart” decision. Head says Bama or Clemson, heart is saying UT.

, and money says Ole Miss. I think it is a toss up, but TN has as good a chance as any.

, and money says Ole Miss. I think it is a toss up, but TN has as good a chance as any.
What does OM have that TN doesn't? Heuples offense is at least if not more prolific and QB friendly than Kiffin's. I would say TN wins in a tie breaker with OM because of it being his childhood favorite. If it comes down to us and OM I think we win out. Having said that, I don't think OM is in it at all.

My thought process:
  • Ty grew up a UT fan, and wanted to go to UT
  • The offense in place when it was Ty's time to commit was awful
    • Just god awful
  • Pruitt recruited him hard, developed a relationship
  • Pruitt recognizes that the offense is a problem
    • Promises to hire Ty's dad to seal the deal
  • In December, Ty was 100% to UT
  • Pruitt gets fired because he's a moron
  • Ty is upset; his dream of going to UT and playing for his dad is up in smoke
    • Also his favorite coach just got fired
  • He reaches out to Bama, Clemson, Ole Miss
  • Bama loses Sark
    • Ty doesn't know BOB; the BOB offense doesn't look fun
    • Plus, BOB is gone in after Ty's freshman season when an NFL job opens back up
  • Clemson is not in the SEC
    • Also weird
  • Ole Miss would be fun, but it's too far away
    • Also weird
  • Heupel is hired; makes Ty a priority
    • Heupel shows him that he's going to throw for 5000 yards in this offense
  • Ty starts to warm back up to UT in late January/early February
    • Tells reporters he is "65% sure" about which school he wants to go to
  • Over the past two weeks, Heupel has talked with him daily
  • Ty comes around, realizes that rebuilding UT is what he wants
    • Begins dropping the "I can go somewhere and be just a guy, or go somewhere and be the man" quotes
  • Ty makes the decision to commit
This would work well as a flow chart.

What does OM have that TN doesn't? Heuples offense is at least if not more prolific and QB friendly than Kiffin's. I would say TN wins in a tie breaker with OM because of it being his childhood favorite. If it comes down to us and OM I think we win out. Having said that, I don't think OM is in it at all.
Ole Miss doesn't have the specter of NCAA sanctions/bowl bans weighing down on it for one thing. I agree that Bama and Clemson are the competition though.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Ole Miss doesn't have the specter of NCAA sanctions/bowl bans weighing down on it for one thing. I agree that Bama and Clemson are the competition though.
Meh. I don't think that means all that much to recruits. The scholarship limit doesn't really matter. Let's say they dock us 5 scholarships. We seldom run at 85 anyway. That effects the bottom of the roster more than the top. My guess we'll self impose a bowl ban next season so these guys in this class will never see that. I think that stuff is over blown by the fans and the media.

Meh. I don't think that means all that much to recruits. The scholarship limit doesn't really matter. Let's say they dock us 5 scholarships. We seldom run at 85 anyway. That effects the bottom of the roster more than the top. My guess we'll self impose a bowl ban next season so these guys in this class will never see that. I think that stuff is over blown by the fans and the media.
Let's hope not. The not knowing is always the worst part.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Some of the top football coaches in the country want this guy as their QB in this class but then a random message board poster says he’s overrated so idk what to believe

The top coaches in the country also wanted Blake Barnett and Ben Davis. Saban took them both and both were massively overrated. Just because he is the GOAT doesn’t mean he can’t be wrong.

I'm not sure there is another recruit I can think of as important as Simpson. His commitment would legitimize the Heupel-era in a much needed way and would start bringing some positivity back to the Hill. He would have a lot of weapons to play with in a very QB friendly offense. My guess is Bama is the team to beat simply because of where they are as a program right now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tennessee kid want to stay and build himself into a hometown hero.

He doesn't look incredibly impressive on film even playing against low level competition.
You're only getting the part of the film, don't kid yourself. He's probably way more consistent with his decision making and timing than can be shown on a simple highlight film. That's why it's so hard to evaluate QBs without all the film.

VN Store

Back