'20 TN OL/DL Bryn Tucker

100% with you. He should get just as much credit as Pruitt is getting for our Auburn win. Unless everyone thinks Guarantano just got better on his own lol

JG did have an out of his mind game against Auburn. I mean to convert as many times as they did on 3rd and Long is insane and not something that is likely to happen again in similar circumstances. With that said he's definitely made strides as a QB and Helton deserves some credit for that.

I've seen good and bad from Helton to this point.

The 1st down up the middle stuff is frustrating to say the least and there is something going on where someone on offense is doing something to tip off the defenses when we try to run wide. Several times in the last two weeks both the UGA and Auburn LB's have called pre-snap audibles and pointed directly where the ball was going and every time it was an attempt to run wide. Stuff like that needs to be cleaned up immediately.

As for the good I do think they've figured out better ways to finally get Ty the ball in space and I really liked his play calling in the 4th quarter when we were up 27-17. Instead of going conservative and trying to run out the clock like Butch would have done (and probably would have blown the game) he kept running his normal offense and kept Auburn off balance. That final drive of the game was huge to move the ball and chains like we did.

Most frustrating thing to me is trying to run Tim Jordan up the middle. He dances too much behind the line and is very slow getting to the LOS. I'd much rather have Ty and/or London getting those carries.

Last edited:
i like Helton too. he definitely needs his players though.

Lets start on the line.
We know what we want to do and what we need to do, but we have to have the player or the players to exicute. JGs not getting much time, the passing game against barn was a lot on the receivers with great catches and great timing throws from JG. Not many holes to run through.

JG did have an out of his mind game against Auburn. I mean to convert as many times as they did on 3rd and Long is insane and not something that is likely to happen again in similar circumstances. With that said he's definitely made strides as a QB and Helton deserves some credit for that.

I've seen good and bad from Helton to this point.

The 1st down up the middle stuff is frustrating to say the least and there is something going on where someone on offense is doing something to tip off the defenses when we try to run wide. Several times in the last two weeks both the UGA and Auburn LB's have called pre-snap audibles and pointed directly where the ball was going and every time it was an attempt to run wide. Stuff like that needs to be cleaned up immediately.

As for the good I do think they've figured out better ways to finally get Ty the ball in space and I really liked his play calling in the 4th quarter when we were up 27-17. Instead of going conservative and trying to run out the clock like Butch would have done (and probably would have blown the game) he kept running his normal offense and kept Auburn off balance. That final drive of the game was huge to move the ball and chains like we did.

Most frustrating thing to me is trying to run Tim Jordan up the middle. He dances too much behind the line and is very slow getting to the LOS. I'd much rather have Ty and/or London getting those carries.
I don’t get why London isn’t getting more snaps

Reactions: Montrell Hardy
Hot take: Our talent on offense gets upgraded significantly and Helton starts to look like a genius.
i don't think that's a hot take, and i'd take it a step further, i think in year two, you got some experience returning, there's much less on the learning curve, they can take on more....

i'm not ready to write the guy off 1/2 way thru season 1. frustrating at times? yeah.

but as with most staffs, and teams, i think that 2nd year is a good place to start looking for what improves over year 1, especially wiht so many "1st timers" in the program right now.

i like Helton too. he definitely needs his players though.

Lets start on the line.

there's absolutely zero OCs in America that can be successful without the adequate protection up front on the OL. Ppl need to relax and watch the progression from week to week. Be happy to see growth and development which are 2 things we have not seen in a long time.

New staff not sold on Tucker

Seem to be some mixed reviews on Tucker this fall. I think some teams are going to want to see him in camp. Not sure where the Vols have him on their board right now.
Hubbs

Geez bad year this yr? Starting to see maybe why Tucker dad was mad. Didn't like being down the list I guess. Thought he would be big time player

Reactions: Big Orange#1

"There's no better feeling than just beating somebody up," said Tucker. "You're facing that person all ... night ... long. That one person where you just want to beat the living death out of them."

Tucker (6-5, 307) is too strong to bull rush and too quick to get around. "When he's blocking you on pass rush, it's like trying to run around a moving fridge," said three-star teammate, and fellow junior offensive lineman, Cooper Mays. "A moving fridge that can grab you."

Comparison I’ve heard with Tucker isn’t all that sexy:

Drew Richmond

I still think Tucker is a Vol and with coaching he will contribute at UT. I just don’t think he’s a stud and is probably a little too highly rated. Time will tell. Believe me I hope this post ages poorly...

Last edited:
Interesting note, Tucker wasn’t mentioned in the VQ article about names to watch for the 20’ class.

Wasn’t his dad on here mad about how the way they were treated during a visit at UT? I may also be wrong, but I thought I read where Virginia Tech was a huge threat.

VN Store

Back