'22 TN DT Walter Nolen (Ole Miss)

Heupel is going to have to get more proven recruiters if he hopes to be successful in the SEC. CRG can't do everything and you aren't beating bama, uga, and Florida every year with 86s and 87s. Flame away but show someone who has done it consistently if you do.
Spot on. Everyone around here likes to mention that it's nice to see a staff actually coach up our players. Well, wouldn't it be nice if we had more talented players to coach up than some mid level SEC talent?

Spot on. Everyone around here likes to mention that it's nice to see a staff actually coach up our players. Well, wouldn't it be nice if we had more talented players to coach up than some mid level SEC talent?
This is true and I don't think anyone is saying it isn't. The fact is we have to be patient. Pruitt and former people did a lot of damage to the UT brand. New Coach doesn't repair everything. We need consistency. Kids are noticing UT again that doesn't mean it will pay off this year. Maybe not even next. The product on the field has to be consistent. Win. Get guys drafted. This is all part of it and add into that the NCAA cloud. This wasn't an easy job and it's not like anyone before him inherited here.

Did you go to school at A&M? UT boosters are loaded and can afford any recruit they want (whether you want to believe or not). I went to A&M (but graduated from UT) and the Longhorns have the money and the power in TX.
From 2018. Appears them pockets been getting deeper.

And indeed, from 2014 through the 2016-17 season, the Texas A&M athletic department earned $260 million in contributions, nearly double what any other school made in that time. For reference, in those years, Texas had total athletic contributions of $123 million; Florida, which ranks second in the category, totaled contributions of $138 million. Texas A&M, meanwhile, allocated $119 million of its total contributions just to the football team.

College Football's Most Valuable Teams: Texas A&M Jumps To No. 1

I think this is missing the point a bit. Sure, the facilities upgrades and athletic department contributions matter, but it’s the money that is getting contributed off the books that is accounting for their great recruiting. A&M has a well-organized and funded bagman network that is getting up to the level of Bama, UGA, or Auburn. They produce a ton of graduates with middle class jobs and they are a cult that tithes to their football program to get players. Every insurance broker, middle manager, and car dealer from Corsicana to Port Arthur is passing the hat and filling up bags to get these players in there.

FWIW, Doug Matthews said on his show today that Vols' biggest problem in recruiting is that prospect-age kids do not see UTK as a "cool" (he said this word was a quote from young men that he's talked with recently) place to play football. It's not NIL, facilities, coaching, or any of the other stuff. Just not cool. Only way to make it cool is to get some bell cows to lead in the herd.
Nobody who has ever been to College Station and observed their traditions would ever describe it as “cool.”
689E3601-A369-4C0C-A76B-13D68032B8CE.jpeg

They’re going there because they’re getting paid.

Heupel is going to have to get more proven recruiters if he hopes to be successful in the SEC. CRG can't do everything and you aren't beating bama, uga, and Florida every year with 86s and 87s. Flame away but show someone who has done it consistently if you do.
So we have to beat those three, every year?

This debate is dumb.

We need better players. a lot of them.

Duh.

This is true and I don't think anyone is saying it isn't. The fact is we have to be patient. Pruitt and former people did a lot of damage to the UT brand. New Coach doesn't repair everything. We need consistency. Kids are noticing UT again that doesn't mean it will pay off this year. Maybe not even next. The product on the field has to be consistent. Win. Get guys drafted. This is all part of it and add into that the NCAA cloud. This wasn't an easy job and it's not like anyone before him inherited here.
The recruiting situation is multifaceted. We do have the obvious issues caused by Pruitt and company, but recruiting is built on relationships. Most of your top level recruits have been talking to staffs no less than 2 years. Coach RG and Kodi Burns were the only coaches we have that were already recruiting within the SEC blueprint. While many of the others were recruiting in Florida, they didn't have relationships with the top prospects being at UCF. Things will pick up in '23 and beyond if they just keep doing what they're doing. I don't know how you could ask much more of this staff at this point.

No sour grapes here, but I'm not sweating him going somewhere else. He might be an outland winner at aTm, but I wasn't impressed with the film I saw of him. Best of luck to the kid.

Reactions: Smokymtnbullet
What Matthews actually said is that Tennessee is now a cool place to pay according to his grandkids (Who apparently are in the demographic age group as prospective recruits ). He said that matters more than the NiL deals etc.
JH has changed that perception in the last two months. Now we just need to have relentless recruiting to be successful. We weren’t a cool place to play under Gump. We are now.

I think this is missing the point a bit. Sure, the facilities upgrades and athletic department contributions matter, but it’s the money that is getting contributed off the books that is accounting for their great recruiting. A&M has a well-organized and funded bagman network that is getting up to the level of Bama, UGA, or Auburn. They produce a ton of graduates with middle class jobs and they are a cult that tithes to their football program to get players. Every insurance broker, middle manager, and car dealer from Corsicana to Port Arthur is passing the hat and filling up bags to get these players in there.

Nobody who has ever been to College Station and observed their traditions would ever describe it as “cool.”
View attachment 409822

Everyone of these kids should lose their man card. Are these guys in some sort of trance?

No sour grapes here, but I'm not sweating him going somewhere else. He might be an outland winner at aTm, but I wasn't impressed with the film I saw of him. Best of luck to the kid.
He’s good but we could probably get a 3 star w Rodney Garner coaching him and get the same results.

Reactions: StoVol
It comes with depth and we are depleted but yes talent helps

The recruiting situation is multifaceted. We do have the obvious issues caused by Pruitt and company, but recruiting is built on relationships. Most of your top level recruits have been talking to staffs no less than 2 years. Coach RG and Kodi Burns were the only coaches we have that were already recruiting within the SEC blueprint. While many of the others were recruiting in Florida, they didn't have relationships with the top prospects being at UCF. Things will pick up in '23 and beyond if they just keep doing what they're doing. I don't know how you could ask much more of this staff at this point.
Common Sense. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: bigl3327
What Matthews actually said is that Tennessee is now a cool place to pay according to his grandkids (Who apparently are in the demographic age group as prospective recruits ). He said that matters more than the NiL deals etc.
JH has changed that perception in the last two months. Now we just need to have relentless recruiting to be successful. We weren’t a cool place to play under Gump. We are now.
*not. That’s what he said.

View attachment 409822

Fake country boys in a nut shell

Reactions: Dudley Smith
All that matters is the largest NIL.

VN Store

Back