'20 TN DL Tre'vonn Rybka (UK commit)

“I’m not a big dude on attention in the recruiting process,” the 6-foot-3, 285-pound Rybka told GoVols247 this week, “so I probably won’t even put out a top ten. I’ll probably just do it.” “There are a couple schools I’m thinking about,” he added of the decision-making process, “but I’m still trying to slim it down. Still trying to find what I really feel like is home. Just not trying to rush it too much.”

Rybka, one of the biggest in-state targets currently on the board for Tennessee, is ranked as the No. 37 defensive tackle according to the 247Sports Composite and is No. 15 overall in the state of Tennessee. Those “couple schools” referenced Rybka aren’t all that secret, either. But it’s not completely a two-team race. “Everybody knows Kentucky, Tennessee,” he said. “Oklahoma is in there. A couple of them are in there. But I’m not going to say too much yet. It’s going to be a little surprise for them.”

Rybka took an unofficial visit to Kentucky on June 10, his third trip to Lexington over the course of his recruitment. He camped at Tennessee on June 7 and has taken as many as six trips to Knoxville. He doesn’t have any visit plans scheduled moving forward, but said he “might get down to a couple schools” but added that it wouldn’t be a visit “to change my mind or anything.”

“Just a couple schools,” Rybka said. One of those schools could be Oklahoma. “I haven’t been out there,” Rybka said. “I’m going to try to make it out there soon. I like the coach (defensive line coach Calvin Thibodeaux), he’s a cool dude. We have a pretty good relationship. “He’s big guy, doesn’t like losing. If I show any interest in other schools, I don’t think he gets upset, but he’s a guy that doesn’t like to lose. That’s what I like about him. He has that fight in him. He likes to win.”

When Rybka breaks down the fight between Tennessee and Kentucky, he’s careful to talk about both sides. “(At Kentucky) they care a lot about everything you do,” he said. “They let you know how much they want you. If you’re wanted, they let you know, they don’t hide it. “Just like Tennessee,” Rybka added. “Tennessee will let you know you’re wanted, but Kentucky does the same thing. Good, genuine people up there. I like it.”

He described a more aggressive recruitment from the Vols, with a text message from a Tennessee coach waiting for him most mornings when he wakes up. He described a more laid-back approach from Kentucky, with the Wildcats selling the player they want to build him into. It’s a vision at Kentucky he can buy into, but one he sees at Tennessee, too.

“I kind of built a relationship with them,” Rybka said of Kentucky. “… I wouldn’t have a problem going there. I like Tennessee too, though. I like what (Jeremy) Pruitt is doing. I feel like he’s about to turn it around really soon. This year might be a turnaround year. “I don’t really have a lot of technique, just raw talent. It’s a piece of clay that a sculptor would love to have, you know, a coach.” He’s got five weeks to sculpt his decision. “All I can do is work on my relationships now,” Rybka said. “Build up my relationships. Me and Coach (Tracy) Rocker can get closer. Me and Coach (Derrick) LeBlanc can get closer. That’s the stuff I’m working on.”

A common knock on Rocker is good coach average recruiter.

Our DL recruiting has seemed to lag behind other positions.
I would say in recent years yes, but Omari, Baron, Hardy, Cowan, Oxendine, Grimes (depending on position) and Rybka would be the cream of the class this year positionally.

Reactions: FïreBall
Price said that UK has some ties close to Rybka. Price and Hubbs both have also said he likes UT a lot and the staff is making him a priority so hopefully he picks the good guys. We'll find out next month.
Kentucky had a great year; they were definitely trending up. Tennessee had a terrible finish on field and off in the draft. Tennessee does what it always does and kicks Kentucky’s teeth in I believe this recruitment changes. You can sell smoke and mirrors till someone kicks your ass and reality sets in.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Yep. It is. All their premium sites have said he's already in the bag.

That is unbelievable to me. A position of need. A guy Pruitt wanted.

Hope you looked at the percentage of ass whippings we've given KY?

If KY is negative recruiting, which, lets be honest its all theyve got. Anyone who falls for that, iyam is either weak minded or immature or both. Not downing any specific person just, reality.

Again, hopes its TN, if not...next.

Also, VN is it possible Catbone is right about our Dline coach?

It's pretty obvious that UK has stepped up it's bagmen recruiting for football. 5 star Rogers was set to commit to UT, filmed a commitment video, many rumors he has "handlers" and then all of a sudden he commits to UK? And now a 4 star instate DL, huge position of need, that's been made a top priority by the staff, but has "ties to UK" is likely choosing the cats? Doesn't take a rocket surgeon...

VN Store

Back