'20 TN DE Jay Hardy (Auburn commit)

IMO UT should make no attempts to contact Hardy unless he comes back begging to get a 2nd chance. We would know then that he is buying in to the program here.

Reactions: Dennis64
Nah, Wally was his brother, the little fat kid, Larry Mondello (sp?) was the Beaver's best friend/sidekick. Damn, I watch too many reruns on ME TV and TV Land. Absolutely, love the Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock

Yep. I remembered Beaver, Wally, Ward, and June Cleaver and Eddie Haskell. I could see that chubby kid's face but could not remember his name. It's been a while since I've watched LITB.

*I love MEtv, we'll watch it at night. My sons like Andy Griffith(the black and white episodes), Hogan's Heroes, and Green Acres, but can't stand Gomer Pyle. I can't look at Sgt. Carter without thinking about 4-8.... thanks butch.

Last edited:
Yep. I remembered Beaver, Wally, Ward, and June Cleaver and Eddie Haskell. I could see that chubby kid's face but could not remember his name. It's been a while since I've watched LITB.

*I love MEtv, we'll watch it at night. My sons like Andy Griffith(the black and white episodes), Hogan's Heroes, and Green Acres, but can't stand Gomer Pyle. I can't look at Sgt. Carter without thinking about 4-8.... thanks butch.

Anyone remember Wally's buddy named Lumpy?

IMO UT should make no attempts to contact Hardy unless he comes back begging to get a 2nd chance. We would know then that he is buying in to the program here.

You’re outta your mind. The more I’ve thought about it since Tuesday, the better I feel. Pruitt and crew really didn’t ramp up the recruiting pressure until late in the cycle last year. At the time I thought it was a mistake but he closed so well, stealing guys from Clemson, Bama, and Michigan. I expect once he and his staff puts recruiting in high gear we will finish with a strong class, potentially including Hardy (who is a KID, just trying to please his family). But right now CJP and staff are focused on winning out and getting us to the bowl game we’ve been wishing for. Sorry to pump pure orange sunshine but damn cheer up VN

Reactions: SmokinBob
You’re outta your mind. The more I’ve thought about it since Tuesday, the better I feel. Pruitt and crew really didn’t ramp up the recruiting pressure until late in the cycle last year. At the time I thought it was a mistake but he closed so well, stealing guys from Clemson, Bama, and Michigan. I expect once he and his staff puts recruiting in high gear we will finish with a strong class, potentially including Hardy (who is a KID, just trying to please his family). But right now CJP and staff are focused on winning out and getting us to the bowl game we’ve been wishing for. Sorry to pump pure orange sunshine but damn cheer up VN
My opinion only. We do not need guys who are not sure they want to be here. If Hardy changes his mind and shows the staff he wants to be a Vol 100% then go for it. I would scale back the recruitment to just about zero effort now. I believe I saw posts today that he was trying to swing Baron to Auburn. I believe he is burning bridges beyond the point of no return.

Reactions: Alto1
Bold statement...I respect you immensely, but I believe this is deader than 4 AM in Mayberry...the kid seems to be being a massive dick about it to me.
Now McGill, be respectful. Everyone must be allowed to have and revel in their ‘massive dick’ moment.... It builds character...... 😎

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
If you're close to him, I understand wanting to defend the kid, but everything coming out suggests he lied to our staff. That being the case, why shouldn't fans be pissed off? This isn't a simple case of being bitter about a kid's decision. If he had been upfront, I could understand it better. But he wasn't upfront. He didn't handle this well. So why shouldn't he be criticized? I'm sure he considers himself a man, but he didn't conduct himself as a man.

So what was his end game for lying to the staff? Where was the benefit for him?

We lost him becuase Auburn's out-worked ours.

So what was his end game for lying to the staff? Where was the benefit for him?

We lost him becuase Auburn's out-worked ours.
Out-paid maybe. Who knows why he lied, but he did. Been reported by more than one source. Maybe he didn't have the courage to walk back his silent commit, or maybe, as some have suggested, his dad made the decision for him. We don't really know the why, just that he did.

Reactions: tennvols77
Nah, Wally was his brother, the little fat kid, Larry Mondello (sp?) was the Beaver's best friend/sidekick. Damn, I watch too many reruns on ME TV and TV Land. Absolutely, love the Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock
Also, Gilbert.

Anyone remember Wally's buddy named Lumpy?
Clarence Rutherford, Fred's son.

He will be back on campus soon enough.
So two ways to look at this. He really still wants deep in his heart to play at UT. The other is we have been deceived once. Ok fine. we lost a recruit. You really want to take the chance he comes here and starts peer recruiting some of our guys to Auburn?

Reactions: johnfnkelly
Losing Hardy to auburn is a kick in the gut for sure. BUT the be faithful to the home state door swings both ways. Tennessee's coaching staff passed on plenty of D1 instate talent last year and continue to this year.

Would not allow him near our other recruits. No trust. Would likely try to recruit our verbals to Auburn.
The hell of he will! He is a don’t wasn’t!!! Get the F outta here and take that no character and integrity with you! Whatever you did, lying didn’t have to be a part of the equation! Better to know now than later after some of our other prospects have committed or signed elsewhere!

VN Store

Back