'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

You think Vols will push for him? Where do you think he ends up?
I spent a lot of time talking with Ryan Callahan on Friday night about this at the McCallie V. Ensworth game. He has a lot of upsides, one being you never have to worry about him academically, and another is he’s an athletic freak. It seems like the biggest hold up is that he has bounced back and forth between positions, and his film at defensive end hasn’t been eye popping. However, I think Tennessee should make a push a for him. I do not feel that they are in a position to turn away elite athletes that could be developed into an elite position player. That’s just my personal feelings though.

I spent a lot of time talking with Ryan Callahan on Friday night about this at the McCallie V. Ensworth game. He has a lot of upsides, one being you never have to worry about him academically, and another is he’s an athletic freak. It seems like the biggest hold up is that he has bounced back and forth between positions, and his film at defensive end hasn’t been eye popping. However, I think Tennessee should make a push a for him. I do not feel that they are in a position to turn away elite athletes that could be developed into an elite position player. That’s just my personal feelings though.

Agreed. We have some great talent developers on staff so if they can get a guy like Kivon Bennett, who was all but forgotten about, playing at a high level at the EDGE, they could certainly get it out of Grimes.

We also need depth at EDGE spot.

I agree that they should. I hope he's a Vol.

Do you think they will? If not, is he a cock? Where does Callahan think he'll ultimately end up or did he give you his normal non-committal waffling back and forth in person like he does online?

I agree that they should. I hope he's a Vol.

Do you think they will? If not, is he a cock? Where does Callahan think he'll ultimately end up or did he give you his normal non-committal waffling back and forth in person like he does online?
I think if they don’t push that he will probably end up at OU or SC. OU really likes him, but I wonder if the one visit is enough. SC is throwing around the idea of having him play tight end which is interesting. I like that idea for Tennessee too, just if you don’t end up landing Darnell Washington. There are just too many good possibilities to come out of taking Grimes, in my opinion. Callahan was like me; just intrigued the situation and how it could play out.

I think if they don’t push that he will probably end up at OU or SC. OU really likes him, but I wonder if the one visit is enough. SC is throwing around the idea of having him play tight end which is interesting. I like that idea for Tennessee too, just if you don’t end up landing Darnell Washington. There are just too many good possibilities to come out of taking Grimes, in my opinion. Callahan was like me; just intrigued the situation and how it could play out.
Sounds good, thanks. Yeah, I'd have a hard time not pushing and taking Grimes but I'm not on staff. So if they don't I imagine they have good reasons. Guessing if we could sign 30 he'd be a take but maybe Bama would then too...

I’d take him. Not many long edge rushers out there and we need one after BJ. Even if you inky use the kid in packages it’s more than what returns next yr. not going to have that freakish athlete on edge. Will have mainly undersized dudes

Reactions: volfaninpa
Grimes sounds like the Yves Pons of the 2020 football class? Like the basketball team when they took a chance on Pons, the football team isn’t in a position not to roll the dice on an athlete like that. Imo

UT also talked to him about using him as a pass-catching TE/RB. IDT the coaches know exactly how they'd use him, but they like his versatility and could see him being a two-way player. He gives us options.

He's at Bama this weekend on an unofficial (unless that changes), then will make his final decision and tell the coaches.

Taggart was fired while Grimes was on his OV.
During desert...never returned from the restroom.
tenor.gif

You think Vols will push for him? Where do you think he ends up?
Carolina imo. I think we’d have to miss on several to push for him.

I “think” the staff was on the fence about him before this year. I think this year pushed them in the wrong direction. I know it’s an unpopular opinion and I do hate it. He’s a good kid, he has a ton of athleticism, he has to build also, he just doesn’t have the intensity or meanness imo.

We are recruiting football players not track stars. There are a ton of players with high ceilings that produce in highschool left on our board. I don't get people saying we have to take this kid because of his measurables. If the coaching staff ends up taking him then good, but he is not a must take for us.

We are recruiting football players not track stars. There are a ton of players with high ceilings that produce in highschool left on our board. I don't get people saying we have to take this kid because of his measurables. If the coaching staff ends up taking him then good, but he is not a must take for us.
I don't really disagree.

I just go back to... Gimmie all the 6'5", 240lb, high 4* projects...
1572915049506.gif

You have to be a really hard nose player, but he could be a more atheletic Austin Pope. Line up off of Darnell Washington and you got a big atheletic formation with speed at receivers with Hyatt and hopefully TJB.

VN Store

Back