'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

Why Oklahoma is now on list of college choices for Tennessee's top college football prospect Reggie Grimes II

Oklahoma is in the picture now and Grimes is obviously impressed with their “contender” status. We obviously aren’t that, so what’s the thoughts on where we are with him?
Couple pages back has an article and a video somewhere along the way. He's more than likely not a take at Bama. He also said he has "interest" in FSU.

More than likely this will be a SCjr VOl battle regardless of the new schools popping up here recently.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Jake Briningstool-TE, Junior Colson-OLB are the 2 bigger names In the 2021 class. They have a few others though.
Thanks, I believe Briningstool will commit by the end of the year. Thoughts on Colson? Watched his film of his sophomore highlights and nice size and he was tackling high on a few but he’s just a sophomore in the clips and that’s easily fixed. He must be good, TN is on his list twice and MSU has already offered twice.

Thanks, I believe Briningstool will commit by the end of the year. Thoughts on Colson? Watched his film of his sophomore highlights and nice size and he was tackling high on a few but he’s just a sophomore in the clips and that’s easily fixed. He must be good, TN is on his list twice and MSU has already offered twice.
I've only peeped him out in passing, haven't really paid too much attention to the 2021 class yet.

Reactions: secking
How in the world would a borderline 5 star in state player at a position of serious need not be a take for us? That seems ridiculous.
I'm with you. Tweener or whatever, can't see how this guy isn't a priority. I'm not a coach but seems like this guy should be getting the red carpet, get him on campus and figure out a position after some S&C and development. He's an elite athlete and we're not in a position to turn those down. The 25 rule hamstrings the rebuild but still...

Why Oklahoma is now on list of college choices for Tennessee's top college football prospect Reggie Grimes II

Oklahoma is in the picture now and Grimes is obviously impressed with their “contender” status. We obviously aren’t that, so what’s the thoughts on where we are with him?
imo, i still think USCe leads. he's only been up here twice all year.....and there's been indecision on him. seems there was some rumblings that we were goign to push, but i don't know how much that ever got off the ground.

to me, the kid is rated by some as the #1 prospect in TN, he's a unanimous high 4*, used to be 5* DE/OLB pass rusher.

we need those, and if i can get the 6'5" 240lb high 4* project that's a top 5 player in our state, then i don't really know why you'd say no........i think we should push.

got no clue about OU, they're relatively new to the game for him, but i'm sure it's intriguing.....for all the obvious reasons.

i feel like it'd be a good thing if we could get him back on campus...not sure that happens.

siap several times, i get why some folks are out or split or whatever on him, but i just don't see any reason really not to push for him, much less not to take him if he wants in....we've been burned too many times in the past slow playing and being indecisive on #1 players in Tennessee.....(not this staff's fault)......building a fence usually shoudl start with the # 1 kid right?

Tennessee’s other official visitor last weekend was 4-star edge rusher Reggie Grimes. While the Ravenwood called the Vols “a viable option,” it remains unlikely, for now at least, that Grimes joins the 2020 class. He is very close with Keshawn Lawrence, but Grimes has always been a bigger priority for South Carolina. Same for Ole Miss and Vandy. Tennessee’s staff remains split on how it views the Grimes as a prospect.

-VQ

Reactions: quadlee21
imo, i still think USCe leads. he's only been up here twice all year.....and there's been indecision on him. seems there was some rumblings that we were goign to push, but i don't know how much that ever got off the ground.

to me, the kid is rated by some as the #1 prospect in TN, he's a unanimous high 4*, used to be 5* DE/OLB pass rusher.

we need those, and if i can get the 6'5" 240lb high 4* project that's a top 5 player in our state, then i don't really know why you'd say no........i think we should push.

got no clue about OU, they're relatively new to the game for him, but i'm sure it's intriguing.....for all the obvious reasons.

i feel like it'd be a good thing if we could get him back on campus...not sure that happens.

siap several times, i get why some folks are out or split or whatever on him, but i just don't see any reason really not to push for him, much less not to take him if he wants in....we've been burned too many times in the past slow playing and being indecisive on #1 players in Tennessee.....(not this staff's fault)......building a fence usually shoudl start with the # 1 kid right?
Doesn’t have a committable offer yet to OU.

I get why some are upset, he’s one hell of an athlete. That said you trust the coaches evaluations on lower rated prospects why not trust them when they pass on higher rated ones. Several teams have sniffed around the kid but I think the best committable offer he has currently is to South Carolina. This kid has been to two high schools and has a former Bama player as a father, why would anyone believe he’s not coached well enough to be an impact player? I just don’t see someone that can’t consistently be an impact player on the high school football field suddenly being good enough to contend with SEC talent.

Doesn’t have a committable offer yet to OU.

I get why some are upset, he’s one hell of an athlete. That said you trust the coaches evaluations on lower rated prospects why not trust them when they pass on higher rated ones. Several teams have sniffed around the kid but I think the best committable offer he has currently is to South Carolina. This kid has been to two high schools and has a former Bama player as a father, why would anyone believe he’s not coached well enough to be an impact player? I just don’t see someone that can’t consistently be an impact player on the high school football field suddenly being good enough to contend with SEC talent.
well, like i said, i get it. i understand why there's divisiveness....

i've seen the same things on video everone else has.

in the end, they have to do what they think is best, and that'll come from their evaluations, which i do trust.

just kinda looks awfully weird to see that kid sitting there, where he sits by every rating system we have available and we're like "meh"....lol. especially at a position of big time need. even if he's not "suddenly" an impact, he's certainly got all the measurables that says he has the ability/capabilty to become one...........

and it will absolutely suck to see this kid go somewhere else and have him wreck s**t in college...........

well, like i said, i get it. i understand why there's divisiveness....

i've seen the same things on video everone else has.

in the end, they have to do what they think is best, and that'll come from their evaluations, which i do trust.

just kinda looks awfully weird to see that kid sitting there, where he sits by every rating system we have available and we're like "meh"....lol. especially at a position of big time need. even if he's not "suddenly" an impact, he's certainly got all the measurables that says he has the ability/capabilty to become one...........

and it will absolutely suck to see this kid go somewhere else and have him wreck s**t in college...........
If they took Grimes I would hope the kid was successful. He seems like really good kid in the interviews I’ve seen. He’s highly rated and would boost our ranking up somewhat also would appease our instate recruiting nazis. This is one of those cases where a lot of people who have seen him play just don’t see it. And I know our “evaluations” mean nothing but most of the time you seen a kid and know he’s a difference maker.

I think Tennessee has tried to somewhat stay in it for him as a backup option and to keep good relationships with his high school but we aren’t pushing for him like Carolina.

Not buying for one second that Vols would not accept Grimes' commitment right now if he wanted to give it. Vols seem to be Grimes' 'safety school'.

Grimes isn’t necessarily a take for us for the same reason he isn’t a take for Alabama. His play doesnt match his athleticism/production.

Alabama has had a lot of attrition as far as pass rushers, and Saban wouldn’t turn away an elite pass rusher. You can never have too many of those.

But Grimes ain’t that.

Is he a great athlete? Sure.

So was Maleik Gray.

For those saying we’re not in a position to turn away athletes - naw, we’re not in a position to take guys who the staff isn’t sold on. Each spot is invaluable this year. We need surefire contributors.

Besides, if we land Ojulari, Baron, and Hardy.... we may be done at DE and focus on other gaping holes like LB and interior DL.

What gets lost in all this "we have to take him no matter what just because he is a 5-star athlete and we are not in position to turn down that type of athlete" conversation is that the coaches biggest challenge right now is changing the culture. If the coaches sense that his lack of production in high school is an extension of not having a passion for football or not being willing to put in the work to be his best or not having an ultra-competitive nature then who cares what kind of athlete he is. They must fix the culture first.

What gets lost in all this "we have to take him no matter what just because he is a 5-star athlete and we are not in position to turn down that type of athlete" conversation is that the coaches biggest challenge right now is changing the culture. If the coaches sense that his lack of production in high school is an extension of not having a passion for football or not being willing to put in the work to be his best or not having an ultra-competitive nature then who cares what kind of athlete he is. They must fix the culture first.
true.

This.

None of these coaches will be here in 13 months. Only way that changes is lots of wins. A good coach can help a guy be his best. Nobody can coach height or speed.

VN Store

Back