'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

Their rankings have zero rhyme or reason to them. Grimes is a good athlete but nothing he has done shows he’s in the top 75 players in the country. Kid had something like 23 tackles during the season. I’m not sure he’s in the top 75 players in Tennessee much less the country.

Reactions: LittleVol
I have been in Knoxville the last few days and went down to watch the 6-A state championship game tonight and other than name recognition the kid wasn’t a factor. He played both ways and other than a couple of late hits on Hodge from maryville, didn’t see much. I heard the Ravenwood team had lots of D-1 talent but just didn’t see it. Lots of size and speed but maryville handled them easily

I have been in Knoxville the last few days and went down to watch the 6-A state championship game tonight and other than name recognition the kid wasn’t a factor. He played both ways and other than a couple of late hits on Hodge from maryville, didn’t see much. I heard the Ravenwood team had lots of D-1 talent but just didn’t see it. Lots of size and speed but maryville handled them easily

Maryville is so well coached it’s silly, they really haven’t lost a beat since Quarles left.

Grimes had six tackles and assisted on a 1/2 TFL, and I saw him carry the ball once for about five yards. He seemed to be not engaged in the game. Briningstool has some good ball skills, but is really skinny. He mostly lined up as a WR. Colson was mostly dealing with his own DL getting shoved into his face the whole game.

Whoever gets Davis is getting a good player, he reminds me of the kid that played at Purdue minus the top end speed. The Maples kid will make a decent WR for someone if he can get stronger. He’s 6’5 but really thin, has good speed and hands.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Woody Wommack (Southeast): We just moved recent Oklahoma commit
Reggie Grimes down a bit in the Rivals100 but he's still in the top 75 players in the country. As an exceptional athlete with a very high ceiling, he's a very tough player to rank because his production on the field hasn't caught up with where he could be in the future. Ranking guys like him too low is how you get burned if and when they blossom at the next level, but there have been plenty of times where we have ranked guys with not enough production too high as well. He has helped his team to the state championship game in Tennessee and will be playing in the Under Armour All-America Game as well, so we still have a few more chances to see him before making a final call.

-Woody Wommack

Under players ranked too high in Rivals 250 update. Trust Pruitt!

So they gave him a rating that he did not earn. Don't know how it can be more clearly stated that their ratings are not realistic or reliable.

I was watching Junior Colson's tape -2021 Ravenwood LB. He was all over the field. I saw this other guy that physically looked just as impressive as him out there but was never around the ball. And he was blocked by smaller guys on some plays. Sure enough it was Grimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaagerVol
haha Woodys explanation is pretty embarrassing.

Explanations like this are exactly why I do not put any faith in recruiting service rankings. The worst I have seen was a piece from rivals about former QB recruits who have not lived up to their billing. The writer (I believe it was Chad Simmons) said that they ranked Kellen Mond as a 5 star because they had a hunch that he would play at a 5 star level in college.
At least they are transparent about them not really having a true rating system so I will give that to them.

A thought I just had on the kid after watching him play several times. How do you think he would project as an OT? If he put on 40-50 pounds with his supposed athleticism that would have the potential makings of a good OT.

Grimes says thanks to all of you for being his fans and following his every movements...to the good fans and the hater fans...please follow him tonight as he plays for a spot in the title game.... then you can follow him at OU in 2020.as he pursues his quarter million dollar football education..while playing on a top 5 team that will go between 12-0 to 11-1. A birth in the playoff..he has figured out who he is and who he will become in the future.

While we all are in conflicted confused state of mind.

Since he's a big discussion
Is this Mr. Grimes? Those are some bold predictions you've got there. Let's see how that works out for you. See ya in Norman. 👌

Reactions: Ledzepvol
I was watching Junior Colson's tape -2021 Ravenwood LB. He was all over the field. I saw this other guy that physically looked just as impressive as him out there but was never around the ball. And he was blocked by smaller guys on some plays. Sure enough it was Grimes.
He's saving himself for college.....
When he gets to college, he's saving himself for the league.

Butch would have been all over this kid and heralded him as the next big thing. High ranking and not much outside interest? That was his recruiting wheelhouse

We would have Been sunshine pumping too. Hell I’d be happy if we took him now. I’d take a chance on him considering we striking out on everyone here

Reactions: vettefool

VN Store

Back