'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

“I haven't been there since coaching change,” said Grimes. “I have been talking to them a good bit. Coach Pruitt texts me everyday.

“It's a big deal because it shows me how much we wants you.”

Grimes would like to see a couple of schools in the near future.

“I have been to South Carolina and I am trying to see Clemson and Tennessee,” said Grimes, who will take the ACT this weekend.

If Grimes doesn't get to Knoxville in April, the 4-star defensive end will definitely see the Vols early this summer and there are some things he wants to see with the new coaching staff whenever he returns to Rocky Top.

“I want to learn their mentality and attitude towards players,” Grimes said. “I want to see how things have changed with the new staff.

“I'm going to go to the Tennessee camp in June. I will attend several the first few weeks of June. Then in July into football. Then put it on the back burner till after the season.”

Like his father, Grimes plays on the defensive side of the ball as a defensive end/linebacker and the elder Grimes has helped his son understand how the recruiting process works.

“He's been through it,” Grimes said. “He already knows what is coming and what to expects. He has taught me not to take things to heart. Not let it be too big for me. He has let me know what's coming and he's been dead on.

“He doesn't care where I go to school. He just wants me to be happy. He wants me to go where ever I fit in.”

With plenty of time before having to make a decision, Grimes is just starting to look and see where he fits in best.

-VQ

Reactions: 1 person
four-star class of 2020 athlete/linebacker reggie grimes of mount juliet (tenn.) high school confirmed to govols247 on thursday that he’s planning to visit tennessee on saturday.

The 6-foot-5, 210-pound grimes once was scheduled to visit the vols last weekend to attend their first spring scrimmage, but he wasn’t able to make the trip. He’s planning to make up for it this weekend to spend time with new tennessee coach jeremy pruitt’s staff.

Former vols’ coach butch jones staff gave grimes one of his first scholarship offers in june. He also holds offers from lsu, south carolina, ole miss and louisville.

Grimes is ranked by 247sports as the no. 229 overall prospect and no. 21 athlete in the 2020 class and the no. 9 sophomore from tennessee.

i wan't all the 6'5" 200+lb athletes we can get.

make it happen.

The Class of 2020 prospects who visited Tennessee on Saturday included a few of the top in-state sophomores who already have received offers from the Vols, including four-star athlete Reggie Grimes of Mount Juliet (Tenn.) High School — the son of former Alabama defensive lineman Reggie Grimes, who played with Pruitt at Alabama — four-star offensive lineman Chris Morris of Memphis, Tenn., and four-star lineman Omari Thomas of Eads, Tenn., a top-100 prospect. Grimes and Thomas both visited Tennessee for the first time since getting offers from the Vols last summer and came away impressed, while Morris was back on campus for the first time since their home game against Massachusetts in September. It’s still early in all of their recruitments, but Tennessee seems to be off to a good start with all three after hosting them.

- Callahan

Last edited:
I go to church with the Grimes family and they are hardcore Bama fans and cant stand Tennessee.

This is the furrhest thing from the truth. Yes due to legacy they love Bama but aren't closed minded to UT. The kid will hv several options but they're open to all schools.

the 6-foot-3.5, 213-pound grimes — the son of former alabama defensive lineman reggie grimes, who briefly played for the nfl’s new england patriots — said the vols impressed him enough that they’re now “definitely in the running for number one” among the half-dozen teams pursuing him, along with south carolina.

“it was great. It’s changed some, but it was great,” said the younger grimes, who previously had attended games at tennessee but hadn’t been on a recruiting visit there. “all the coaches, they were all down-to-earth people. I talked to pretty much all of them. The players seemed excited about the way things were going, the new direction the program was taking. The facilities were nice, and it was just a great place to be.”

“he said they had a staff meeting about me earlier in the week,” grimes said, referring to pruitt. “i originally wasn’t going to go to tennessee, just because it wasn’t really on my radar. I was free this weekend. But i think, like, monday or tuesday, i got bombarded with calls from a bunch of the coaches up there asking me to come up. “and apparently what happened was (saturday) was their 2020 game, and i wasn’t on the (visitor) list because no one had invited me. And coach didn’t really seem to take too kindly to that.”

“my dad and coach pruitt, they were close at alabama,” said the younger grimes, who’s ranked by 247sports as the no. 229 overall prospect and no. 21 athlete in the 2020 class. “but then life happened, and this year pretty much was when they started talking again.” grimes said pruitt visited his school in january, and they have talked on the phone “a few times.” pruitt already has made a good impression on him. “the very first time i saw him, i was surprised at how down-to-earth he was and how much he actually cares about me and my well-being, as well as football,” grimes said. “he just seemed like a normal guy. If you just ran into him and didn’t know who he was, you wouldn’t assume he was a college coach.”

grimes said he was most impressed saturday by “the hospitality” shown by everyone in the vols’ program. “everyone came up and everyone introduced themselves — even people who wouldn’t necessarily be my position coaches, or even people who weren’t coaches,” he said. “a bunch of players came up, and i thought that was pretty cool.”

tennessee defensive coordinator kevin sherrer and offensive graduate assistant cameron clemmons were among the other members of the vols’ staff who spent time with grimes. He said tennessee’s coaches “like the fact that i can play multiple positions,” and he could project as a linebacker, defensive end, running back or tight end. “they said i can play wherever i want,” he said. “it doesn’t really matter to me, as long as i get to play. (sherrer) said he’d love me coming off the edge, from a defensive-end or linebacker (position). It didn’t really matter to him.”

grimes said he’s not planning to decide on a college until “my senior year.” it’s still early in the recruiting process for him, but he already has made up his mind on one thing. He won’t automatically follow in his father’s footsteps by playing at alabama even if he gets an offer from the crimson tide. “i was a big alabama fan growing up,” he said. “but now that i’ve entered the recruiting process, i’ve kind of deferred from that. It would kind of just be just another offer.”

NASHVILLE — Shivering from hours competing in a cold deluge, the last thing 2020 outside linebacker Reggie Grimes Jr. wanted to do was stop and chat with a reporter following Sunday’s Nike Opening Regional. Still, the always affable 4-star prospect from Mount Juliet (Tenn.) gave VolQuest.com a few minutes, recapping his impressive performance and his recent visit to Tennessee.

“It was very tough with the weather. I just tried not to think about it,” Grimes said. “Felt like I did pretty good. I lost just one rep. Won the rest. It was straight. It was cold. I wasn’t as fast, as I’d like to be but it was still fast enough, so I can’t worry about it. ” Fast enough is all relative. In putrid conditions, Grimes, at 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, clocked a 4.5-second 40-yard dash. His speed and explosiveness are why so many schools are tantalized by the raw potential of the 4-star recruit. Grimes is already one of Tennessee's top targets for the 2020 class.

Grimes, who is the son of former Alabama defensive lineman Reggie Grimes, hears from Vols' head coach Jeremy Pruitt daily. Pruitt and Grimes’ father actually played together at Alabama, but the younger Grimes got his first opportunity to really spend time with Tennessee’s head coach two weeks ago. He attended the 2020 day, watching the Vols scrimmage in Neyland Stadium and meeting most of the staff.

“He was just a normal person. Real talk, he was just a simple friendly guy,” Grimes said of Pruitt. “If you didn’t know who he was you would’ve just assumed he was a regular guy.” Grimes toured the facilities and took pictures in jerseys and helmets, but it was his chat with defensive coordinator Kevin Sherrer that left the biggest impression.

The former UGA outside linebackers coach has recruited and coached players that have similar skill-sets as Grimes — Leonard Floyd, Lorenzo Carter and Adam Anderson — with Sherrer telling Grimes, “We could really use a guy like you just because of your speed off the edge. He told me that, ‘Right now, you’re one of the fastest guys I’ve seen at that position.’”

Grimes is just seeing his recruitment get started. He has six offers, with Tennessee and South Carolina currently standing out. He’s not even thinking about a decision right now, hoping to see more schools while continuing to improve on the field. “Hopefully, I’ll keep getting faster, keep getting better,” he said. “That’s the goal.”

-VQ

Grimes toured the facilities and took pictures in jerseys and helmets, but it was his chat with defensive coordinator Kevin Sherrer that left the biggest impression. The former UGA outside linebackers coach has recruited and coached players that have similar skill-sets as Grimes — Leonard Floyd, Lorenzo Carter and Adam Anderson — with Sherrer telling Grimes, “We could really use a guy like you just because of your speed off the edge. He told me that, ‘Right now, you’re one of the fastest guys I’ve seen at that position.’”

Grimes is just seeing his recruitment get started. He has six offers, with Tennessee and South Carolina currently standing out. He’s not even thinking about a decision right now, hoping to see more schools while continuing to improve on the field.

VolQuest.com - In-state OLB clocks blazing 40 time, says Vols love his speed

the 6-foot-4, 212-pound grimes said he has spoken with tennessee defensive coordinator kevin sherrer “a few times” since his visit with the vols last month, and he was impressed that sherrer stopped at his school last month on the first day of the ongoing spring evaluation period.

“i didn't expect it, quite honestly,” grimes said of sherrer’s stop at mount juliet. “it was kind of a shock, but it was a welcome surprise. “i called coach sherrer a few times (recently). He’s just been talking, keeping up with me, keeping tabs.” “he knows my dad. He’s recruiting me really hard,” said the younger grimes, who’s ranked by 247sports as the no. 230 overall prospect and no. 21 athlete in the 2020 class. “he really wants me.”

the fact that pruitt and his father “played together” and have a strong relationship, grimes said, is just one of the reason he likes tennessee. “(i like) the fact that coach pruitt came down (to mount juliet to see) just me multiple times,” the younger grimes said. “they’re all competitive, the coaching staff. It’s a complete shift from the previous coaching staff.”

the chance to play in-state at tennessee is appealing to grimes, too. “it’s the team that i’ve grown up seeing all around,” he said, "so it is a big deal to play in-state.” but grimes also liked what he saw at south carolina during his visit with the gamecocks on march 31, two weeks before his trip to knoxville.

“they’re also a pretty good team, as far as coaching-wise,” he said. “they all know what it takes. They’ve all been there. A lot of them have played in the nfl, so their focus is not just making the team better, but making each individual player better.”

grimes said tennessee is “not entirely sure” what position it envisions him playing, but he’s being recruited to play “more defense” at this point. He’s in no hurry to decide on a college. “still a long ways away,” grimes said. "i’m just kind of enjoying the process right now.”

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back