Time Out on JG................

You guys make some fun points and maybe this is worthy of it's own thread but if you could have any QB from Tennessee's past as our starting QB next season who would you choose? It is an interesting question because most people would impulsively say Peyton but I think Peyton, being one of the least mobile human beings on the planet, would struggle some without a great offensive line to protect him. Remember also that we did not win it all until after Peyton left and we had a rushing QB. I actually think I would pick Heath Shuler. He could get out of trouble and still make the tough pass. Completely hypothetical but is the off season, what else do we have to talk about?

Comical statement here... I hope your Tennessee fandom started around 2013...
He said “few”. Loved Peyton but he had some wobblers...they got there but didn’t win any beauty competitions. Similar sentiments for Clausen, Martin and Ainge. The “few” prolly addresses Bray and Shuler and maybe Tony Robinson.

You guys make some fun points and maybe this is worthy of it's own thread but if you could have any QB from Tennessee's past as our starting QB next season who would you choose? It is an interesting question because most people would impulsively say Peyton but I think Peyton, being one of the least mobile human beings on the planet, would struggle some without a great offensive line to protect him. Remember also that we did not win it all until after Peyton left and we had a rushing QB. I actually think I would pick Heath Shuler. He could get out of trouble and still make the tough pass. Completely hypothetical but is the off season, what else do we have to talk about?
Peyton made his offensive lines in Indy and Denver look better than their talent level. Even in his rough rookie season, he suffered less than a third of the sacks his predecessor (Jim Harbaugh...fairly mobile guy) had the previous season. Quick release and recognition thing that Dan Marino had perfected before him.

Peyton made his offensive lines in Indy and Denver look better than their talent level. Even in his rough rookie season, he suffered less than a third of the sacks his predecessor (Jim Harbaugh...fairly mobile guy) had the previous season. Quick release and recognition thing that Dan Marino had perfected before him.

That is really interesting. I did not realize the 2/3 less sacks stat. So Peyton basically made up for his slow speed by getting rid of the ball quickly. Kind of the opposite of Josh Dobbs who was quick as greased lightening but took just a little too long to make decisions.

Speaking of the Mannings and speed I remember reading how Peyton made fun of Eli after getting clocked for a 6.2 40. Peyton strutted out his 5.1 like he was Rocket Ishmail.

Comical statement here... I hope your Tennessee fandom started around 2013...
Mid-80's. I have no problems criticizing JG. He has weaknesses. His arm and pure accuracy aren't among them. Heath Shuler or Bray had the strongest arms during that period. JG has a nice tight spiral and very good arm strength. He throws a ball that should be "easy to catch" when on target.

You may remember better than me but didn't Stewart suffer from "pressure" more than Manning? I think Stewart started because Colquitt got injured behind that OL... as did Helton. Stewart was considered a "running" QB iirc... though the QB run wasn't really in vogue then. Many thought he was a Shuler clone.

You may remember better than me but didn't Stewart suffer from "pressure" more than Manning? I think Stewart started because Colquitt got injured behind that OL... as did Helton. Stewart was considered a "running" QB iirc... though the QB run wasn't really in vogue then. Many thought he was a Shuler clone.
I remember the same as you. Stewart tended to bail too quickly and usually right into a defender. I don’t think Stewart ever started a game tho. They brought Peyton out first before putting Helton back in then they tried Stewart out. He actually looked better than Peyton in that short run. Helton finished the game and almost pulled it out. By the Mississippi State game, it was obvious who was the better quarterback between the freshmen. Shuler could pass better than almost any Vol QB on the run and most of his runs were called plays.

Reactions: Behr and sjt18
I remember Stewart and Manning both playing for a while. I couldn't remember who started what games.

Heath was about 15 years too early. He ran a legit 4.5 at 6'3" 225. The read option/RPO game would have been great for him. It might even have helped him as a Pro.

I remember Stewart and Manning both playing for a while. I couldn't remember who started what games.
Without Wiki I recall Colquitt started the first game, Helton the next two or three then Peyton til his eligibility expired.

Reactions: Behr and sjt18

Heath was about 15 years too early. He ran a legit 4.5 at 6'3" 225. The read option/RPO game would have been great for him. It might even have helped him as a Pro.
I think his holdout soured his relationship from the start with Norv Turner...who’s developed a QB or thousand in his career. But you’re right about his skillset and the schemes of the time. Kinda like Drew Brees was a bust at the beginning for the Chargers and they drafted Phillip Rivers as his replacement. Then they altered the scheme to accommodate Rivers and Brees flourished and kept him on the bench. If he hadn’t hurt his labrum and rotator cuff, he doesn’t get offered that incentive based contract but a legit one and doesn’t land in New Orleans where he REALLY flourished under Payton and the perfect scheme for him. Always wondered how the career arcs of Joe Montana and John Elway go if they had been drafted by the other’s team. Fun stuff.

He said “few”. Loved Peyton but he had some wobblers...they got there but didn’t win any beauty competitions. Similar sentiments for Clausen, Martin and Ainge. The “few” prolly addresses Bray and Shuler and maybe Tony Robinson.

Trust me in that I fully comprehended what he said and meant. I didn't floss over it or misinterpret what he posted. I actually sorta agree too. It's just statements like that SHOW how people are, and have always, reached with Guarantano's opinion. Statements liken this show how SO much much of people's opinion of him are based on Guarantano's performance against air in practice, workouts, and 7 on 7 camps. He has shown so little in actual games that it's sad how people will constantly believe he can turn the corner. Heck, even Bray with his pot fried mind shows better intangibles with pocket presence, feel for the game, understanding defenses. Almost everything actually.

Trust me in that I fully comprehended what he said and meant. I didn't floss over it or misinterpret what he posted. I actually sorta agree too. It's just statements like that SHOW how people are, and have always, reached with Guarantano's opinion. Statements liken this show how SO much much of people's opinion of him are based on Guarantano's performance against air in practice, workouts, and 7 on 7 camps. He has shown so little in actual games that it's sad how people will constantly believe he can turn the corner. Heck, even Bray with his pot fried mind shows better intangibles with pocket presence, feel for the game, understanding defenses. Almost everything actually.
No one here would accuse me of being soft on JG.

VN Store

Back