Time for UT to pull a Florida.....and play Bryce Thompson.

The message board was quite a bit negative when Jennings was booted for his rant. Many told him to hit the hiway and not let the door hit him on the way out. In hindsight, they were wrong. He seems to have matured and is the team leader. And yes, just like Thompson , he said some really dumb stuff. I doubt he does something like this again. Like Jennings, the publicity and embarrassment of the incident is probably punishment enough.
For his sake, I hope so. He has a lot of life ahead of him. He can definitely learn from this and hopefully will.

Yes. Are you disputing this? Did his girlfriend and multiple witnesses just make it up? Come on, man.

So saying something stupid in an argument with your girlfriend makes you a criminal now? He will get that title 40d and it won’t even show up on his record. The pu$$ification of America continues...

Asking people to put this in context. How many of you have never had a shouting argument with someone where you shouted something you didn't mean? Especially when you were young? I know I did and bet you have too. I recall trying to break up with a girl who just wouldn't let it go. I was just gently trying to end the relationship and she wasn't having it. These many years later, I regret it terribly, as well as dozens of other things from my youth. Things I would love to take back. It's life. Thompson's gf was upset by what she found in his room. She was jealous. Maybe he would have preferred to talk about later when she wasn't as upset. But women often want to confront something right then and there and get if over with. Who is to say what words led to another...and another...and things escalate in tone and anger.

He hurt nobody physically. He didn't get drunk and crash his car into someone. He didn't assault anyone. If Thompson was guilty of anything, it was of being young and not using the best judgment in temperament. But if you remember that you too made mistakes similar to this when you were young, then why all the sanctimonious judgmentalism? Maybe someone didn't hear your loud shouting match and report it to the police. And maybe you never had a loud disagreement with anyone in your life. But most people have. And as we age and get closer to mortality, we regret things deeply that we did earlier in life. We regret hurtful things we said. We even hurt inside wishing we could take things back and relive those days so that we could change how we acted. If you put this in perspective, this was relatively minor and got blown out of proportion because someone called the campus police and Thompson was a FB player.

Now isn't that right? Of course it is.

Asking people to put this in context. How many of you have never had a shouting argument with someone where you shouted something you didn't mean? Especially when you were young? I know I did and bet you have too. I recall trying to break up with a girl who just wouldn't let it go. I was just gently trying to end the relationship and she wasn't having it. These many years later, I regret it terribly, as well as dozens of other things from my youth. Things I would love to take back. It's life. Thompson's gf was upset by what she found in his room. She was jealous. Maybe he would have preferred to talk about later when she wasn't as upset. But women often want to confront something right then and there and get if over with. Who is to say what words led to another...and another...and things escalate in tone and anger.

He hurt nobody physically. He didn't get drunk and crash his car into someone. He didn't assault anyone. If Thompson was guilty of anything, it was of being young and not using the best judgment in temperament. But if you remember that you too made mistakes similar to this when you were young, then why all the sanctimonious judgmentalism? Maybe someone didn't hear your loud shouting match and report it to the police. And maybe you never had a loud disagreement with anyone in your life. But most people have. And as we age and get closer to mortality, we regret things deeply that we did earlier in life. We regret hurtful things we said. We even hurt inside wishing we could take things back and relive those days so that we could change how we acted. If you put this in perspective, this was relatively minor and got blown out of proportion because someone called the campus police and Thompson was a FB player.

Now isn't that right? Of course it is.
Well put. However society has some new rules. Zero tolerance rules the day, which flips the “innocent until proven guilty” axiom.

Reactions: LibertyVolance
We have rehashed and been over every scenario about what supposedly happened. Does everyone honestly think the School would allow Thomas to practise let alone play if they didn't have some solid evidence about this case.

He’s still on the team and has been allowed to practice. IMO, you play him. If and when he’s proven guilty and convicted, he should be treated as if he’s innocent.

Edit: I meant to say until he’s proven guilty NOT if....... Sorry if that was confusing to some.
I dont understand how he can he cleared tp practice like normal but not play. Either play him or keep him banned.

I dont understand how he can he cleared tp practice like normal but not play. Either play him or keep him banned.
Perhaps it's part of his punishment or cold-bucket-of-water-over-head or whatever you call this sort of discipline. Come to practice, keep yourself ready, play at X point. (Remember Pig Howard?) I'm glad they're keeping him on the team, as opposed to abandoning him, and I'm OK with whatever decision they make as to when he can play again. I don't have the information they have in order to make an informed decision, and it's not my - or any other fan's - business. Go Vols.

Reactions: tbones0711
I've been in the system for 19 years myself. You'd think that you of all people could understand that sometimes "victims" lie. It's quite disturbing that someone who works in the system doesn't believe in innocent until proven guilty.
There is a victim and reportedly multiple witnesses who provided corroborating stories. So yes, victims often lie and distort. Witnesses aren’t perfect either. But we aren’t dealing with a mass conspiracy here, are we? We are dealing with a few college kids, some of which merely observed the argument. Are you telling me, after 19 years of LE that these people made up statements? Unlikely.

Reactions: I40flyer
Perhaps it's part of his punishment or cold-bucket-of-water-over-head or whatever you call this sort of discipline. Come to practice, keep yourself ready, play at X point. (Remember Pig Howard?) I'm glad they're keeping him on the team, as opposed to abandoning him, and I'm OK with whatever decision they make as to when he can play again. I don't have the information they have in order to make an informed decision, and it's not my - or any other fan's - business. Go Vols.
I get what you're saying, but it does kinda look bad, dont you think? You reinstate him, as if he's innocent, but dont let him play, as if he's guilty of something. If you're punishing him for having the alteraction at all, just suspend him for so many games and be done with it.

There is a victim and reportedly multiple witnesses who provided corroborating stories. So yes, victims often lie and distort. Witnesses aren’t perfect either. But we aren’t dealing with a mass conspiracy here, are we? We are dealing with a few college kids, some of which merely observed the argument. Are you telling me, after 19 years of LE that these people made up statements? Unlikely.
VICTIM of a verbal assault. That’s where we’re at. Gonna be awesome to see him back on the field.

Unless a rival teams’ player is accused of something similar, then that player should be immediately kicked off the team without due diligence.

Absolutely.

I'm sure UF has some K5 accusations thats going to surface this week. We re expecting Mullen to do the right thing and sit em until witnesses are tracked down and this gets cleared up.

From what I ve heard its widespread.

I get what you're saying, but it does kinda look bad, dont you think? You reinstate him, as if he's innocent, but dont let him play, as if he's guilty of something. If you're punishing him for having the alteraction at all, just suspend him for so many games and be done with it.
Not so much "don't let him play, as if he's guilty of something", but "don't let him play (for X number of games), because he has not upheld the standard of conduct that we require of athletes who represent the University of Tennessee, and we want to be sure that he understands what is expected in the future as a young man wearing the Orange and White."

We've all gotten so legal-minded these days that we maybe tend to forget that oftentimes things like losing playing time are just consequences of dumb-assery. Like losing TV privileges at age 10 for two weeks for that public melt-down in the checkout line. (JMO IMO FWIW MPH BBQ ETC)

You guys know what if he played for Saban and this happened in Tuscaloosa no one would have heard about it.
If he didn't play football in the SEC the charges would already have been dismissed or greatly reduced to something like vandalism under $100. As for the so called threat with an additional witness it's very much appearing that can't be corroborated. I'm not for leniency because it's obvious he needs to address his anger issues.

Reactions: jarnol32
If he didn't play football in the SEC the charges would already have been dismissed or greatly reduced to something like vandalism under $100. As for the so called threat with an additional witness it's very much appearing that can't be corroborated. I'm not for leniency because it's obvious he needs to address his anger issues.
You are assuming when you say it can be corroborated and my feelings are that it can't. If it could, at this point,more corrective action would be in place. We're all outsiders attempting to judge a matter we know very little about. Allow those with the facts make the decisions.

But is what he did so awful? No, it isn't.
If you google "threatening to shoot up the school" you'll find most jurisdictions consider that something worthy of the criminal justice system. Hell, one guy threated to drive from TN to D.C. and shoot up the planned parenthood building-looking at five years. In the climate we live in, threatening to shoot up a school (or any public place for that matter) is going to draw a fast response from LE. I haven't heard anyone say, "just because a guy threatens to shoot up my kid's school" or "Just because a guy threatens to shoot up my house", etc. he should be left alone, as words don't hurt anyone. I'm sure I haven't heard that because no one really wants to appear that stupid. I hope all the witnesses change their stories, the he is proven to be the great guy that we all know him to be. He sure won't need any mental counseling, as he did nothing wrong. What about the gate, hell, it needed fixing anyway. And the eye lashes, he is to fine a man to be hanging out with some old ho, have someone else (not his current gf) return those false eye lashes to her, and leave that skank alone.

Last edited:
I've been in the system for 19 years myself. You'd think that you of all people could understand that sometimes "victims" lie. It's quite disturbing that someone who works in the system doesn't believe in innocent until proven guilty.
19 years, wonderful. I understand your post regarding "victims" and lies, but what about witnesses, how often do you find multiple witnesses telling the same lie? Should anyone be convicted because of multiple witnesses telling the same story, or should we all but disregard the testimony of multiple witnesses (not including the victim).

So what if the witnesses are the victim's friends? Are you saying you don't think a few people can make up a story?

VN Store

Back