Time for UT to pull a Florida.....and play Bryce Thompson.

Don't play him. No. Just because Fulmer's back doesn't mean we need to bring his "Cup" back. For the record, I hope Thompson is acquitted of everything. That being said, the young man has issues that are more important that playing against Florida. Life is bigger than football.
The Fulmer Cup was horse shite invented by our rivals. No Vol should give that credibility.

Reactions: ptcarter and m1al
The seriousness of the accusation of a threat is profound. I see both sides of this argument, but it comes down to priorities. Here's mine on this subject 1. The safety and security of the university. 2 A just outcome 3 Getting a key player back on the field.
If there was any actual evidence of and credibility to what he said- and only one student, if I remember correctly, was 'eyewitness' to that accusation- the university would already have removed him from the school.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
The seriousness of the accusation of a threat is profound. I see both sides of this argument, but it comes down to priorities. Here's mine on this subject 1. The safety and security of the university. 2 A just outcome 3 Getting a key player back on the field.
I agree in a sense. Except I don't think it effects safety either way. There's no chance of him being criminally charged. So if he was actually a school shooter type nothing would have really changed in terms of protecting people from him. That being said I personally doubt that he made an actual threat to shoot up the school.

Give me a break. I’m not from California and some of you people have some serious common sense issues.

It's a great thing that our criminal justice system is not based on common sense but rather factual evidence and beyond reasonable doubt.

Oh, so he gets into a verbal assault of his girlfriend, breaks a a gate, and threatens to shoot up the school and I’m somehow a racist. Sounds legit. The air must be awfully thin in la la land.
Uh oh are you goin to stalk Thompson next ?

That being said, the young man has issues that are more important that playing against Florida. Life is bigger than football.
To be blunt, unless you know this guy personally you really don’t know sh!t about him and should refrain from making stupid personal comments as the one above.

Uh oh are you goin to stalk Thompson next ?
Nope. I hope he is able to plea it down, gets in a more positive relationship, and lives up to his fullest potential. But I’m not I’m not going to pretend what he seems to have engaged isn’t serious just because I like the football team he plays on.

So you agree that based on what we know to this point Coach Pruitt has done the right thing?
I have to believe based on his and the schools decision to allow him back on the field is that this is being reduced. I also believe people deserve to prove their worst moment doesn’t necessarily define them. But I also believe that threats of violence aren’t small deals either.

Last edited:
Sure thing, guy. And if he played for Florida most of you would be hyperventilating he wasn’t kicked off the team. At least feign a little intellectual honesty.
Yeah.....I think he should play at Tennessee and would be hoping he was suspended if he played for Florida..... it’s called being a fan. I do think Bryce or anyone else should be allowed to play if they don’t physically harm another person.... it’s really a non issue to me.

Everyone is posting opinions because this is a message board. Noone knows the true facts.

Here is a novel idea: why dont we just let the University and Coaches handle this. It is interesting that they are allowing him to go to class. I would think that they would not allow that if they had any safty concern. Too much liability for the University if something happened.

Seem to be a lot of passion on this issue on both sides without knowing the full facts and details

Everyone is posting opinions because this is a message board. Noone knows the true facts.

Here is a novel idea: why dont we just let the University and Coaches handle this. It is interesting that they are allowing him to go to class. I would think that they would not allow that if they had any safty concern. Too much liability for the University if something happened.

Seem to be a lot of passion on this issue on both sides without knowing the full facts and details
Most people in this thread are quite literally saying exactly this.

We only have a few screeching buffoons saying he ought to be drawn and quartered.

Sadly, if he were going to play in Gainesville I think he’d played a few downs Sat. I don’t expect him to play until after his court date.

He needs to dump the bitch causing him problems. Now

I have to believe based on his and the schools decision to allow him back on the field is that this is being reduced. I also believe people deserve to prove their worst moment doesn’t necessarily define them. But I also believe that threats of violence are small deals either.

Very good post. Especially the part about not having one moment define who they are.

Reactions: Lurker and CA_Vol
It's a better look than letting him play football. If he were to shoot up a school while we let him back in school, then yeah, it's gonna get questioned. If he shoots up a school and we let him back on the football team after he threatened it, it's essentially a death penalty to the football program. Think about it.
Sounds like YOU’RE more worried about the football aspect. Less risk of him “shooting up the school” if he ain’t in school. It’s hypocritical to keep him off the football team because of FEARS but keep him on campus. So I credit all this social responsibility shizz as so much bunk.

Jeffrey Simmons beat up a woman on video and got 1 game suspension against a cupcake from Stricklin and Mullen...

What’s your point? Thompson is still on the team and the dude who took a swing at the cop is still on the team. Doesn’t that make Pruitt similar to how Mullen handled Simmons?

Besides, Mullen has kicked off every single player with even a hint of legal troubles while at Florida, which I’m not particularly happy with. If you were being honest, you’d credit Mullen for that instead of dragging out old Miss State players. Besides, Simmons is a case that ended well, the guy appears to be a model citizen now.

It wouldn't bother me if they played him. He had a shouting episode with a girl. No assault or touching from I've heard. But he hasn't played a game in 2019. Do you really think he's a difference maker in his first time on the field this year? It's not like he's Cam Sutton or Eric Berry. He will play again soon. If not this week, then probably against Ga or MSU. He won't get charged with anything because there aren't any charges for anger issues. Might need some anger counseling for his threatening words. People often say absurd things in fits of anger.
I believe he is a better athlete than Cam Sutton ever dreamed of being. I think he will go down as an all time great like Eric Berry. They don't just hand out freshman All American honors to everyone on losing teams.

He’s still on the team and has been allowed to practice. IMO, you play him. If and when he’s proven guilty and convicted, he should be treated as if he’s innocent.

Ah yes. If and when he's proven guilty and convicted, we should then definitely treat him as if he's innocent.

You guys know what if he played for Saban and this happened in Tuscaloosa no one would have heard about it.

Nope. I hope he is able to plea it down, gets in a more positive relationship, and lives up to his fullest potential. But I’m not I’m not going to pretend what he seems to have engaged isn’t serious just because I like the football team he plays on.
The message board was quite a bit negative when Jennings was booted for his rant. Many told him to hit the hiway and not let the door hit him on the way out. In hindsight, they were wrong. He seems to have matured and is the team leader. And yes, just like Thompson , he said some really dumb stuff. I doubt he does something like this again. Like Jennings, the publicity and embarrassment of the incident is probably punishment enough.

VN Store

Back