Tim Priest pre-season comments

LWSVOL

I don't recall what msg board I got these from but was someone that heard Tim at a kickoff meeting in Augsut. August 11 was date on put on document where I saved them. Insight was not too bad

1) He does not expect this offensive line to be good this year. Next year, yes, but he does not believe that the great talent there can overcome the lack of experience.

2) He is worried about whether Bray can beat zone coverage. He said that Kentucky was moronic to go to a straight man last year when Vandy had exposed Bray's weakness against reading zone coverage.

3) Brewer is the hardest hitting safety he has ever seen at Tennessee. He had a hit on Fugate on a wheel route in spring practice that Priest said might have been the hardest hit he has ever seen.

4) Said that Janzen would be a 1st round pick if he can figure out how to live his life off-the-field like Eric Berry, because he's close to being like Berry on the field.

5) Said we might not see Lathers play this year.

6) Said he expects either AJ or Maggitt to start the majority of games this year. Said that the LBs who are returning outside of Austin cannot begin to compare physically to the freshman.

7) Said that CDD has been lecturing the players from Day One that they need to eat more than him if they want to make it in the SEC, because they were too small.

8) Dallas and Arnett are twice the athlete that Gerald Jones was, but that he believes that will be a big problem for UT on 3rd downs because they don't know what to do in this offense as a slot receiver.

9) Said he would be surprised is Justin Coleman wasn't starting at CB sometime this year.

10) In the end, he only sees 6 wins this year, but he expects us to contend for the SEC title in 2012 and to be in the NC hunt in 2013.

11) He expects Hood to start over Couch.

Reactions: 8 people
Hardly any of that was coach speak.

What do you expect from him? He knows what he's talking about. Didn't a lot of us have the same outlook? I would say most did. He has the opinion that Brewer may be our heaviest hitter ever. He's a big hitter, but not our hardest ever. IMO just not true.

Reactions: 1 person
8) Dallas and Arnett are twice the athlete that Gerald Jones was, but that he believes that will be a big problem for UT on 3rd downs because they don't know what to do in this offense as a slot receiver.

I could definitely see this this year!

I think both of these guys have a break out year next year!

What do you expect from him? He knows what he's talking about. Didn't a lot of us have the same outlook? I would say most did. He has the opinion that Brewer may be our heaviest hitter ever. He's a big hitter, but not our hardest ever. IMO just not true.

Hardest hitting safety. Not player. Pay attention.

Reactions: 3 people
Goes to show that people who have actually played the game at that level know more about how a team should look and what to expect than lifetime analysts and armchair QBs.

Reactions: 12 people
I think he hit the nail on the head. Priest was very consistent with his preseason analysis. The main thing I took from the list:

Brent Brewer would make a better OLB than a safety.

Whether some want to admit it or not, the Bray to Hunter and Rogers show will be tough to contain. You cannot play man to man, and you cannot play a soft zone against that. Yes, I know we must find a way to run the ball. But there is not a better QB to 2 WR trio in the NCAA for 2012.

Reactions: 2 people
Tim knows his football - was quite a player back in his day. Will be more interested in his predictions next August.

Whether some want to admit it or not, the Bray to Hunter and Rogers show will be tough to contain. You cannot play man to man, and you cannot play a soft zone against that. Yes, I know we must find a way to run the ball. But there is not a better QB to 2 WR trio in the NCAA for 2012.

Hopefully all of them can stay healthy and prove you right against SEC caliber competition. Until they do, it is not a given.

Hopefully all of them can stay healthy and prove you right against SEC caliber competition. Until they do, it is not a given.

I think Muschamp's philosophy of what he thought of the three was very telling for the first 4 plays vs. UT (yes I know small sample size). Muschamp is a man to man kind of guy, but he started off the game in a very soft zone. Of course that philosophy changed quickly when Hunter got hurt.

What will he say after spring practice this year ? Someone write it down and I'll fly out to Vegas and bet some over unders.

VN Store

Back