Tim Priest pre-season comments

I don't recall what msg board I got these from but was someone that heard Tim at a kickoff meeting in Augsut. August 11 was date on put on document where I saved them. Insight was not too bad

1) He does not expect this offensive line to be good this year. Next year, yes, but he does not believe that the great talent there can overcome the lack of experience.

2) He is worried about whether Bray can beat zone coverage. He said that Kentucky was moronic to go to a straight man last year when Vandy had exposed Bray's weakness against reading zone coverage.

3) Brewer is the hardest hitting safety he has ever seen at Tennessee. He had a hit on Fugate on a wheel route in spring practice that Priest said might have been the hardest hit he has ever seen.

4) Said that Janzen would be a 1st round pick if he can figure out how to live his life off-the-field like Eric Berry, because he's close to being like Berry on the field.

5) Said we might not see Lathers play this year.

6) Said he expects either AJ or Maggitt to start the majority of games this year. Said that the LBs who are returning outside of Austin cannot begin to compare physically to the freshman.

7) Said that CDD has been lecturing the players from Day One that they need to eat more than him if they want to make it in the SEC, because they were too small.

8) Dallas and Arnett are twice the athlete that Gerald Jones was, but that he believes that will be a big problem for UT on 3rd downs because they don't know what to do in this offense as a slot receiver.

9) Said he would be surprised is Justin Coleman wasn't starting at CB sometime this year.

10) In the end, he only sees 6 wins this year, but he expects us to contend for the SEC title in 2012 and to be in the NC hunt in 2013.

11) He expects Hood to start over Couch.

Amazing.... he must have ESPN... (I know they hate us)

Back in the days when we were pretty thin, we had an ole boy named Craig Puki who could put the wood to you pretty good.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't recall what msg board I got these from but was someone that heard Tim at a kickoff meeting in Augsut. August 11 was date on put on document where I saved them. Insight was not too bad

1) He does not expect this offensive line to be good this year. Next year, yes, but he does not believe that the great talent there can overcome the lack of experience.

2) He is worried about whether Bray can beat zone coverage. He said that Kentucky was moronic to go to a straight man last year when Vandy had exposed Bray's weakness against reading zone coverage.

3) Brewer is the hardest hitting safety he has ever seen at Tennessee. He had a hit on Fugate on a wheel route in spring practice that Priest said might have been the hardest hit he has ever seen.

4) Said that Janzen would be a 1st round pick if he can figure out how to live his life off-the-field like Eric Berry, because he's close to being like Berry on the field.

5) Said we might not see Lathers play this year.

6) Said he expects either AJ or Maggitt to start the majority of games this year. Said that the LBs who are returning outside of Austin cannot begin to compare physically to the freshman.

7) Said that CDD has been lecturing the players from Day One that they need to eat more than him if they want to make it in the SEC, because they were too small.

8) Dallas and Arnett are twice the athlete that Gerald Jones was, but that he believes that will be a big problem for UT on 3rd downs because they don't know what to do in this offense as a slot receiver.

9) Said he would be surprised is Justin Coleman wasn't starting at CB sometime this year.

10) In the end, he only sees 6 wins this year, but he expects us to contend for the SEC title in 2012 and to be in the NC hunt in 2013.

11) He expects Hood to start over Couch.

Link?

Thanks for posting, he knows what he is talking about and no that's not coach speak. That's coming from someone that KNOWS football. And that's a damn good preseason observation.

I'll hold off until I see this "SEC and NC contender" actually happen. I like TP, but we are no where close to even competing with mediocre SEC teams at the moment.

I'll hold off until I see this "SEC and NC contender" actually happen. I like TP, but we are no where close to even competing with mediocre SEC teams at the moment.

But we don't play SEC teams "at the moment."
We play them many months from now, after an offseason of weight training, injured stars getting healthy again, jucos and redshirts joining the mix, and spring practice reps for newer players.

Our real minister of defence...Reggie White.

Most that got hit hard by him went to the sidelines for awhile.

RIP Reggie and you'll always be a VFL even in Heaven!!!

VFL...GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back