Tim Banks

No one disagrees the dedense was terrible.

However, if you cant understand that just like on offense your playcalling is limited to what your personnel is capable of, then youre gonna keep looking in the wrong direction to place blame.

The recruiting process will make Banks look much better if we can be patient.

Or we can go buy some paint and decorate the rock to say FAHR Banks. That seems to be the only thing that will make some of you happy.
Good points. Some of these couch potatoes don’t have a clue what it takes to build a program in the SEC, let alone one that was gutted over the last 15 years by some horrendous coaching hires.

My point was that Pruitt essentially recruited to that same system. Jones before him ran a 40 base D.

I'm not throwing Banks under the bus yet. I'm just saying that performances like that call him into question.

They get another chance to play a mobile QB known for living on the short stuff in a couple of weeks. We will see if they improve. LSU's WR's are a few notches better than UF's.

I completely agree! My biggest thing is, while there was concern last game there should be that same amount of praise against Pitt.

Good points. Some of these couch potatoes don’t have a clue what it takes to build a program in the SEC, let alone one that was gutted over the last 15 years by some horrendous coaching hires.

Love posts like this. Acting like you really know how to build a program in the SEC but the ones complaining about bad coaching do not. So tell us coach, which SEC team have you built?

No one disagrees the dedense was terrible.

However, if you cant understand that just like on offense your playcalling is limited to what your personnel is capable of, then youre gonna keep looking in the wrong direction to place blame.

The recruiting process will make Banks look much better if we can be patient.

Or we can go buy some paint and decorate the rock to say FAHR Banks. That seems to be the only thing that will make some of you happy.

So the only way Banks can look good is for him to get elite talent? So he cannot develop the guys he has like Garner has? Let’s look at your comment on play calling.

You mention the offense. I think everyone will agree that Heupel/Golesh are developing the talent they have BIG TIME. You need look no further than Tillman. Under McGump Tillman was a nobody. Under Heupel, he has turned into an elite WR. Clearly there is development going on on the offensive side of the ball. Yet in the secondary it’s not happening. Why? Why can’t Martinez develop the guys he has?

Reactions: Doberman and sjt18
Banks was at the QB Club on Monday ... several articles ... here are a couple of snippets... bold is mine. -spw
How would you like to face the QB club after that defensive effort ... but he showed up and answered almost all of the questions!

"Banks said the Vols changed up their usual plan of attack to combat Richardson, who entered Saturday’s game without a touchdown pass on the season. He said Tennessee’s “DNA” is to play relentless pressure defense with man-to-man coverage, but their belief was that Richardson would struggle if they consistently changed the post-snap coverages he had to dissect. They wanted to keep him bottled up in the pocket and keep him occupied with trying to figure out what coverage he was seeing downfield."

“When we break down the tape, there are some things we would liked to have done better,” Banks said

“But to sit here and say it was the D-line or say it was the DBs, it’s always a combination. ..."

Now obviously, it did not go how the coaches drew it up and imagined it. He owned it. AND He did not throw anyone under the bus.
Let's face it, players can have bad games!!!
We missed a ton of tackles!!!!
It can't be done ... but erase the last 1:19 and we are happy as clams. 38-27 Make the 4 and 3 yards or kick a 48 FG and we celebrate 41-27.

Those last 2 FL td’s should have never happened. I still can’t believe Heupel chose to take the foot off the gas.

"Foot of the gas" huh?

By that, you mean not trying to score again? (which didn't happen) Or that he backed off of tempo up 17 w/under 8 min left on the clock?

Like Heupel, I don't have the keen coaching insight that comes with being a proud Army wife, but I imagine the thinking there was perhaps to burn clock and giving the gators as little time as possible to score those TDs.

Time of Possession
Ball State 30:05
UT: 29:55

Pitt: 34:55
UT: 29:05

Akron: 35:17
UT:24:43

Florida: 34:57
UT: 25:03

See a trend forming at all? If it's not clear yet, you can go back to last year and it looks the same. Heck, you can go back to the UCF teams and see it there too.

Heupel's tempo offense is incredibly effective and even more fun to watch when it's being run well. But it does burn the clock and put extra stress on the defense by keeping them on the field longer.

We're in year 2 of a total rebuild in which UT saw half its recruiting class decommit and lost more transfer portal talent than anyone else in college football including a starting LT for A&M, a Starting RB for UNC, staring MLBs for 'Bama and MI State, and a starting RT, Safety, and Running Back for Oklahoma. And despite that, we're 4-0 on the season with wins over a pair of Top 25 ranked teams, one on of those on the road and the other against a program we'd lost 17 of the last 18 against.

And now the same nitwits that never gave the Heupel hire a chance and claimed they were giving up are bitchin' and whinin' about the DC.

Chill. Have patience. Text a buddy. Either way just STFU.

The call of the year was by Tim Banks, and IMO, it was rushing 6 on last play of FL game. Any prior D coach would have rushed 3-4 and the Hail Mary would have soared right over their heads into the end zone.
I think Coach Banks is doing a good, solid job. Like the different looks and stunts he is using. Might not have enough talent to stop LSU, GA and Bama, but believe he will give it his all.
Who are you and what have you done with the extreme nega-Vol version of Volador?!?

Good post.

Reactions: VolDave53
So the only way Banks can look good is for him to get elite talent? So he cannot develop the guys he has like Garner has? Let’s look at your comment on play calling.

You mention the offense. I think everyone will agree that Heupel/Golesh are developing the talent they have BIG TIME. You need look no further than Tillman. Under McGump Tillman was a nobody. Under Heupel, he has turned into an elite WR. Clearly there is development going on on the offensive side of the ball. Yet in the secondary it’s not happening. Why? Why can’t Martinez develop the guys he has?

This kind of logic is called “false equivalency”. If you can’t look at the difference in athletic potential between Warren Burrell and Cedric Tillman, ask a grownup for help. Banks is a good coach. Our DB talent is absolutely terrible. Hadden may be the one DB with measurables that qualify him for PT on an SEC team. The idiot chorus has been begging to dump Burrell and start Hadden. Finally an injury made that possible and you see where we are. Hadden missed zone assignments, blitz assignments, blew tackles, and literally turned a runner away from pursuit and into a touchdown. He isn’t ready. The kid is a legitimate SEC athlete. He also has made serious mental mistakes at every place he’s been. Look it up. He’s a good man defender. He has a great nose for the ball. He is not great at switches, zones, or complex reads. Hes apparently going to take time. Our safeties run like slow linebackers. We have the same problem with them as we do corners— We can play guys that know what to do, or run raw athletes out there, and see what happens. Our fans cry either way. Our LB core is playing way above their talent, but they’re one injury away from catastrophe. This line is killing it. Omari has taken on two gaps most running plays, and one arm tackled more guys than I can count. He is the perfect example of what it looks like when a player and his coaches stay with it for the long haul. He’s on track to double his tackles from last year. When you see the progress of the LBs and line (huge against talent and depth) you have to credit, DC, scheme, position coach and player. In those areas we have no depth, and medium talent. Our top performer is a converted RB. This D is on the field almost double the average snap count due to the scoring speed of our O. With great players and depth, we’d still give up lots of yards (by design). With no depth, and no back end talent, what do you expect? Our DBs are bad. Very bad. We’ll have to patch holes and bail water all year to cover that. Get used to it. The only way out is recruiting. Burrell is a great example of a well coached mature player who just doesn’t have enough athletic ability. You can’t coach a kid to be faster. Martinez is a highly experienced guy, but he has weaknesses. He plays guys way off until they show complete proficiency in press. He also teaches a style that limits penalties and getting beat, but allows receptions too often on hooks, outs and curls. Those tradeoffs are a double edged sword. It also may get him fired. Banks is a good coach. He’s respected in the business as one of the best schemers, teachers, and leaders. It takes a brave guy to gamble with his career in this situation. This offense is not friendly to D stats. This talent pool we have isn’t either. If you geniuses can exercise some patience, we might get to see a team develop with enough talent to balance out the offensive potency. This is a long season. We play good teams with depth. We’re going to have more injuries, and we will struggle to field a legit defense as the year goes on. Imagine losing any key starter right now. It’s ugly. There is a razor’s edge between 11-1 and 8-4 for this team. They are overachieving. Enjoy it. Stop whining. This is the first stable staff we’ve had in a long time. If we want to recruit our way into being great, we won’t get there by changing coordinators every two years. We’ve proven that.

Who are you and what have you done with the extreme nega-Vol version of Volador?!?

Good post.

Yikes, EXTREME NEGA VOL?? I mean, the membership requirements for that elite club have to be rather stringent, dontcha think...???!!

My energies on this site for a decade have almost always been focused on the UT coaching staff. Cannot remember, if ever, where I have been negative of ANY Vol player. On the other hand, we have all had such a wonderful assortment of lame ass coaches to roast for so many years, that I was simply exercising my First Amendment for Free Speech. And my posts, IMO, where not baseless, for the proof is in the puddin', or, lack thereof.

Our coaching has improved this year (as I have noted on numerous threads), and that is a much as any reason that we stand undefeated after 4 games. I will ALWAYS praise good coaching yet, ALWAYS be ready to point out deficiencies when they happen. Last I checked VFL-82, this is a Forum, not some kind of kumba ya circle jerk gathering of mindless droids, right? I enjoy good cerebral conversations/threads, and tend to stay away from the "hop on the bus" emotional threads - especially those threads where Vol Nationites pitt themselves against fellow Vol Nationites. However, I surprised myself recently on replying to HH4H threads. Goes against my grain mind you because we need W's, not individual accolades. Those are nice mind you but, we gotta focus on getting 6 or 7 mores wins. If we do, then the HH4H campaign will be in full force. But, not until then, at least for this life long Vol fan.

Proud of the Vols and thanks for the shout out.

PS Does anyone know where one can purchase a defibrillator at a good price?

I wonder if the personnel in at the time only knew certain blitz packages or something like that and it made him go more conservative?

"Foot of the gas" huh?

By that, you mean not trying to score again? (which didn't happen) Or that he backed off of tempo up 17 w/under 8 min left on the clock?

Like Heupel, I don't have the keen coaching insight that comes with being a proud Army wife, but I imagine the thinking there was perhaps to burn clock and giving the gators as little time as possible to score those TDs.
You can disagree without being rude ya know.

(sigh)...Here's the deal. Against quality opponents, UT has a 42 point offense, and a 35 point defense. Simple as that.

Offense fails to hit the mark, we're in trouble. Defense fails to hold the line, we're in trouble. Both do their job, we win.

So, until and unless the defense gets tougher, UT is just going to have to outscore quality opponents to win.

This won't stop another hundred threads about "what ails UT", but there it is in 14 words. It is what it is.

Go Vols.

I mean technically speaking, we always have to outscore ANY opponent to win. Actually, every football team has to outscore their opponent to win. That’s the definition of winning: outscore your opponent after 60 minutes of play. I know what you and others actually mean when you say this though, and I agree.

VN Store

Back