Tim Banks

We need playmakers in the secondary if Banks is going to commit to playing zone cover.

Right now we don't have them so you either have to commit to stopping the run or containing the pass, but can't do.bith with out some more dudes. If we're still having these issues next year then it's time to look at Banks and his coaches.

When Tn had the ball with less than 4 minutes left, that was bad clock management/play calling. IMHO they should have tried to get another 1st down instead of just running up the middle for no gain 4 times---even if it meant passing the ball. With 4 minutes left TN game plan should have been to keep the ball out of AR's hands at all cost.

Completely agree, but I’ll take it a step further. This offensive football team is extremely aggressive. Running the clock down to the end of the play clock when the game clock is not running, makes very little sense. If they had remained aggressive, attacking the edges of the defense, the game would have been over. Score more points and the game is completely out of reach.

Tim Banks playcalling I was fine with. Hadden is hot dog water but sealed the deal. Once these new cats get in, I think we will see a lot of improvement.
Nah, that zone coverage allowed for to much yardage. We do not have a bend don't break defense yet. Richardson is always good for an turnover when pressured. We don't have the D-Line to be playing zone all game.

Tim Banks playcalling I was fine with. Hadden is hot dog water but sealed the deal. Once these new cats get in, I think we will see a lot of improvement.
Incorrect sir. Zone defense is not the answer Tan it against Ky and got away with a W there and escaped same here I love we won not taking from that but fro us to take next step it’s gonna be with a new defense scheme

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Defensive players were not put in a position to be successful
Yeah there were some things that he could of helped them with. Soft zone and Richardson had like 400 something yards and the knock on him coming in was make him pass, lol.

Defense is still thin but much improved over last year. We'll be fine.
2021 TN vs FL: TN total yds = 423, 2 TDs FL total yds = 505, 5 TDs
2022 FL vs TN: TN total yds = 576, 5 TDs FL total yds = 594, 5 TDs

How in the hell is the 2022 TN defense much improved over 2021 TN defense against FL? I would say TN offense improved but D gave up more yards and same # of TDs.

All I know is our front line boys charged hard all game, Florida OL did a good job keeping us away from AR, but our boys charged hard each snap. Matter of fact, the game ending interception was a direct result of that charging when one of our boys got a hand on AR just as he passed. I think Banks just needs a few more pieces to have a true SEC defense.

Last edited:
Desperate Coaches do Desperate things. Napier rolled the dice with the 4th Downs and took a lot of risk and coached a poor game. We were outcoached several times on 3rd down.
It is a learning experience for the players and the coaches plus the onside kick was executed to perfection.
We got a little too conservative at the end of the game, but we won.
Lessons will be learned from this and growth will occur.
We all new the defense was suspect. Next up.
These type of games build character and teams.
I would definitely do some tackling drills in practice the next two weeks because we are soft.

Banks is doing the best that he can with the pieces he has at his disposal.

How many other coordinators are going to roll with a fast paced offense that consistently is on the short end of the time of possesion statistic?

3rd Down and Banks... wait, also, 4th Down and Banks. And, Willie Martinez is epic levels of God-forsaken bad despite the talent level. Dude has been canned more times than tuna.
Fourth downs were much worse than thirds, 5/6 vs 7/15. That kinda fourth down pct is unacceptable and has to be cleaned up. Glad we have two weeks before next game to work on issues.

Completely agree, but I’ll take it a step further. This offensive football team is extremely aggressive. Running the clock down to the end of the play clock when the game clock is not running, makes very little sense. If they had remained aggressive, attacking the edges of the defense, the game would have been over. Score more points and the game is completely out of reach.
Hit the nail on the head. Coach constantly talks about consistency in how you practice and how you play. Then we go to 2 yards and a cloud of dust with 5 mins on the clock, hoping to get it out of range on the clock? NO. Stay consistent, stay on the gas. Put the ball in Hooker's hands, he's done it for you all game.

I at least have hope that Heup rates himself and the other coaches on Sunday, and recognizes the mistakes. Had the game out of hand. Trust Hooker, trust the offense. Don't make the defense play "prevent". Changing how we play at the end of the game makes no sense whatsoever.

Hit the nail on the head. Coach constantly talks about consistency in how you practice and how you play. Then we go to 2 yards and a cloud of dust with 5 mins on the clock, hoping to get it out of range on the clock? NO. Stay consistent, stay on the gas. Put the ball in Hooker's hands, he's done it for you all game.

I at least have hope that Heup rates himself and the other coaches on Sunday, and recognizes the mistakes. Had the game out of hand. Trust Hooker, trust the offense. Don't make the defense play "prevent". Changing how we play at the end of the game makes no sense whatsoever.
Amen!

VN Store

Back