Tim Banks comments on defensive performance vs UF (2022)

Nah. Banks can just learn on the job. I think UT woulda been better served with Banks in his former role as "CO-DC". But wth do I know? I just saw 5 missed tackles on a TD catch and run that should have been stopped dead.
They were trying to create a fumble on that play pretty clearly. You can basically see the attempts to punch the ball and avoid actually tackling Zipperer

Banks should kiss CJH’s rear every day.

Without our offensive firepower covering up the defensive stink, 95% of VN would already have out the torches and pitchforks.

With the exception of Garner’s group up front, which he gets more out of than is actually there, the rest is mostly putrid. Run defense has been solid for sure. Anything through the air — awful.

That’s what I am getting at. Garner seems to be developing and getting the most out the guys he has. Yet Martinez and to a lesser degree BJM aren’t. They aren’t getting it done. And people want to tell me that our recruiting is the problem. So I guess Vandy, Missouri, SC and UK have been recruiting much better DBs than us? I don’t buy it.

Are you trying to say that Alex Golesh isn't really an offensive coordinator because he has /TE after the OC? Come on, that's just silly. Coordinators often also coach a position group.

As for Co-DC, that can mean many things. It can mean that he's really the main dude, and the other guy is an understudy. It can mean the opposite. Or it can mean anything in between.

I certainly don't know Penn State's situation from 2016 through 2020 well enough to explain how much in the lead role Tim Banks was. Can you? Do you have sources?

Here is some passing defensive stats about Banks. In 2015 before banks arrived, PSU was ranked 10th nationally. Keep in mind Banks was the DB coach.

2016- 26th
2017- 42
2018- 22
2019- 77
2020- 24

So looks like the pass defense got worse when he took over.

“stats don’t always tell the story”…….bet if his group was playing lights out they would
Until his defense is responsible for a loss, I think we should lay off the guy. He is our DCo and frankly it's Martinez' group. Furthermore, our backs suck. I think it's pretty big of him that he didn't point fingers, but I'm not sure I love his answers either.

Some quotes from Tim Banks at the Knoxville Quarterback Club:

“The stats don’t always tell the story… Being able to make the plays that we needed to make to give us a chance to be successful, that’s what we’re always looking for.”

“The only thing I’m concerned about is, ‘Did we win or did we lose?’… Winning plays give us a chance to be successful.”

“When we break down the tape, there are some things we would liked to have done betters… But to sit here and say it was the D-line or say it was the DBs, it’s always a combination. I think we’ve played some good defense for most of the season.”

Despite mistakes, Tim Banks proud of Vols' late-game grit in Florida win

Just win baby, then fix the mistakes during the bye week.

Yes we won and that’s the most important thing. Stats don’t tell the story??? Yes they absolutely do. The stats tell us that our defense is bad. Banks benefits from one of college footballs best offenses. The offense can usually offset the bad defense. But against really good teams, that won’t work.

I am not sold on Banks at all. I really hope he massively improves and quickly.
They will massively improve when the talent level massively improves (especially in the back end)..

They will massively improve when the talent level massively improves (especially in the back end)..

I understand the point about needing better talent, and it’s valid. You did say ‘massively’ so I think you are correct, but even with what we have now we can still get better. Our guys can’t get faster, but they get better at tackling, knowing what is going on and where they are supposed to be, etc. I like our play calling mostly, but it’s not perfect, and arguments can be made for adjustments being made better.

That’s likely not enough to get the defense to the level we have come to see from top SEC defenses, but it will still help us win games we wouldn’t have otherwise. It’s pretty cool that even with the issues we have we can play with anyone right now and give them a game on a good day. It’s also important to recognize that they are actually improving. Keep getting better of course, but that’s true for all aspects, defense just seems the most obvious.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
“stats don’t always tell the story”…….bet if his group was playing lights out they would
Who does that sound like? I really want to like Coach Banks. My problem is that he spent so much time under Butch Jones. His first DC job was 2007 at Central Michigan. Then he followed Butch to Cincinnati as co-DC until 2011. Banks left for Illinois a year before we botched it up with Butch. I hope Banks didn't take on too many of Jones' traits. His quotes just sound a little to familiar for me to be comfortable with. I hope my worries will turn out to be of no concern.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
I mean, winning is important yea I get that. But if our offense had just 1 more 3 and out, we would have lost. Is that really something to hang your hat on as a defensive coordinator? I guarantee you this game will be AR15s best game he will play this year. I hate to think that this historic offense will be wasted by a crappy defense but hopefully we see some improvement when we play LSU.
On the flip side, had the offense converted that last first down then Florida only would’ve had 21 points and UT wins by 17.

Keep in mind folks. The D last year was better than the year prior under Pruitt and Pruitt, the supposed defensive guru, had much better talent. This year we’re lacking talent and they have a class coming in to help fix that.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
On the flip side, had the offense converted that last first down then Florida only would’ve had 21 points and UT wins by 17.

Valid point. Obviously results matter, but to make real improvements I think plays have to be reviewed in a vacuum to determine if they were correct for the situation.

If a play didn’t work out, was that because it was the wrong play or was there something that was not executed correctly? Either result is possible. Conversely, plays that were probably not the best could have had a good result because of something unusual and might fail the majority of the time.

There’s an old saying, I forget from where: “It’s better to be lucky than good.” In the short term this true, but as every good poker player knows, success over the long term involves making good decisions consistently.

Reactions: hUTch2002
The coach-speak is unsettling for most Vol fans who remember Butch Jones. Like Jones proved time and time again, it is mearly a nice way of saying a coach is totally BS-ing, whilst trying to simultaneously seem like he isn’t sidestepping the real issue at hand.

What’s disquieting for me is that we haven’t even come close to playing the top QBs, RBs, or Receivers we will face this season and the STATS are going to have to be adjusted using binomials, because the yards allowed by this defense are going to be absurd if they keep the same strategy. Our offense is great. It really is, but we will face some stout defenses to go along with these higher caliber QBs…not a good combo if you plan on sitting in soft zone and lining up 12 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Hopefully behind closed doors there’s a significant amount of accountability and subsequent course correction by our defensive staff…or it’s going to be a LONG season. I’m truly hopeful that our coaches are all over this. GBO!

Last edited:
Banks is benefiting from being the DC on a team with a prolific offense.
He is ultimately responsible for that total defense.
IMO, the weak link of the whole team is on his defense. That being the secondary coached by Willie Martinez. I think Martinez is average at best.
I also think for us to take the next step to having an elite defense, Martinez needs to be replaced.
Soft coverage combined with piss poor tackling won’t cut it………..

Is Banks the guy? I do not know. Do you honestly know? I doubt it. I think the coaching staff did exactly what they thought they needed to do to win the game and we did. We won. Personally, I would not have done what they decided to do, but I am also not getting paid mega bucks to do what they are doing. When you coach at this level, they live this every single day........ It consumes their lives, their wife and children have to come to field house to see them because they have not been home.... Do I agree with how they did it? No. But, I am not the defensive coordinator at a top 10 school in the country. We often forget in this industry that if the same rules were applied to us in our jobs we would probably get criticism for our mistakes as well. As for now, Banks is our DC and I believe in him!

I can see that, from one perspective.

But from another perspective, the man merely said, in a politer and less direct way, "I don't give a good hot damn about the stats. I care about winning."

If the offense needs the defense to be world class in order to win, that just means the offense is a weakness. If the offense is world-class, as ours is, it only requires the defense to be good enough to keep the other team's final score lower than ours.

Don't get me wrong. I'm with you and everyone else here on wanting our defense to get much, much better at pass defense. But they're better overall now than they were last year. And they'll be better at the end of the year than they are now. And even better next season.

It's a process, returning to championship football. It doesn't necessarily happen fast. Just because it IS happening fast for the offense, that doesn't mean our defense isn't on schedule for what Josh Heupel wants and expects.

Let's let them coach. Josh seems to trust and appreciate Tim. And we trust Josh, right?

Have faith.

Go Vols!

Well said

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Some quotes from Tim Banks at the Knoxville Quarterback Club:

“The stats don’t always tell the story… Being able to make the plays that we needed to make to give us a chance to be successful, that’s what we’re always looking for.”

“The only thing I’m concerned about is, ‘Did we win or did we lose?’… Winning plays give us a chance to be successful.”

“When we break down the tape, there are some things we would liked to have done betters… But to sit here and say it was the D-line or say it was the DBs, it’s always a combination. I think we’ve played some good defense for most of the season.”

Despite mistakes, Tim Banks proud of Vols' late-game grit in Florida win

“We didn’t play well at all”

Thinking our defense (or any element of our team) is static, and won't improve dramatically as time goes on with Josh Heupel in charge...now THAT is hilarious.
Remember all of those great defenses Bob Stoops had or Mike Gundy has because they simply got so much better with them just being the HC? Funny stuff.

VN Store

Back