Tim Banks comments on defensive performance vs UF (2022)

We just need better players on the back end. Last years recruiting class was improving the pass rush and by all accounts so far, the front 4 look better to me. The secondary has help on the way with this years class. It is what it is at this point. Banks is gonna have to adjust and be agressive the rest of the way.

I've noticed Tim Banks seems to have been on a very short leash with VN posters since day one. Is there a backstory with Banks and UT Vols, or something? I completely understand wanting better performance but I feel like he's been on the outs even before the first snap last year.

What gives?
I've wondered the same thing Hoss.

Are you trying to say that Alex Golesh isn't really an offensive coordinator because he has /TE after the OC? Come on, that's just silly. Coordinators often also coach a position group.

As for Co-DC, that can mean many things. It can mean that he's really the main dude, and the other guy is an understudy. It can mean the opposite. Or it can mean anything in between.

I certainly don't know Penn State's situation from 2016 through 2020 well enough to explain how much in the lead role Tim Banks was. Can you? Do you have sources?

Brent Pry was the Defensive Coordinator at Penn State when Banks was there. Banks was a Co-Coordinator and coached safeties. Banks was not the DC there and has not been a DC for 15 years in a row now.

I like the energy and tenacity of the defense, but bottom line is that the unit has to be better on 3rd and 4th down. When teams are able to convert on those downs consistently enough, you have to look ot the coaching philosophy. I think the defense could be really good with a few tweaks, but as it is we are giving up too much cushion in zone coverage and seem to be conservative as to not get beaten over the top. Our guys are not instinctive and letting other team's receivers slip between them in zone. I'd like to see a bit more agressive, man to man coverage play calling.

Reactions: 08Vol and DixieVol
Brent Pry was the Defensive Coordinator at Penn State when Banks was there. Banks was a Co-Coordinator and coached safeties. Banks was not the DC there and has not been a DC for 15 years in a row now.
Wasn't Brent Pry also /LB position coach? By your logic, that would rule him out as a true coordinator. No?

I can see that, from one perspective.

But from another perspective, the man merely said, in a politer and less direct way, "I don't give a good hot damn about the stats. I care about winning."

If the offense needs the defense to be world class in order to win, that just means the offense is a weakness. If the offense is world-class, as ours is, it only requires the defense to be good enough to keep the other team's final score lower than ours.

Don't get me wrong. I'm with you and everyone else here on wanting our defense to get much, much better at pass defense. But they're better overall now than they were last year. And they'll be better at the end of the year than they are now. And even better next season.

It's a process, returning to championship football. It doesn't necessarily happen fast. Just because it IS happening fast for the offense, that doesn't mean our defense isn't on schedule for what Josh Heupel wants and expects.

Let's let them coach. Josh seems to trust and appreciate Tim. And we trust Josh, right?

Have faith.

Go Vols!
I was pissed Saturday, mostly due to alcohol, but inwas very irrational in my assessment of the defense. The defense did their job and stopped FL on 3 downs, who knew FL would be desperate from the 1st quarter on and go for it on 4th down all game. They pretty much conceded they wouldn't be able to stop our offense. I don't foresee any other team utilizing the same strategy.

I am perfectly fine give up 600 yards and only 3 touchdowns. That last td I blame the offense for not ending the game with a first down.

Coach got a point. Defense made plays when they needed to. Wasn’t pretty but got the win. Florida pulled out all the stops went for every fourth down etc. playing desperate. not every team is going to do that.

Bret Pry's title was DC, Banks' title was Co-Coordinator.
That's good to know. It's a data point.

Do you know how Brent and Tim divided up these key duties* of the coordinator?

-- designing plays
-- making decisions on positions and roles
-- game preparation
-- opponent scouting
-- teaching, training and education

I'm sure they probably both shared most of the duties. So which of them did each task to what percentage, do you think? Like, Pry 60%, Banks 40% on designing plays for the playbook? Banks 75%, Pry 25% on studying the opponent?

It's not simply a nit-noid detail question. If you really want to know how well prepared Tim Banks was for the DC job when he arrived in Knoxville, it would be good to know how much of the load he was carrying at other teams in the 15 years prior.

At the extreme end, Pry could (hypothetically speaking) have been on compassionate leave that whole five years with a seriously ill child or wife, and Banks carried almost all of it. Just making up one example of how the "co-DC" can actually be de facto the one in charge, gaining huge experience.

How much do you know about how they divvied up their responsibilities?

* drew this list from a nice web site built to educate people on football coaching practices and concepts. The particular article I reference is: https://footballadvantage.com/defensive-coordinator/

Last edited:
I've noticed Tim Banks seems to have been on a very short leash with VN posters since day one. Is there a backstory with Banks and UT Vols, or something? I completely understand wanting better performance but I feel like he's been on the outs even before the first snap last year.

What gives?
I have noticed that too. Bottom line is the defense needs to improve especially tackling in the secondary. The good thing is Banks knows that. Tackling and fundamentals can be coached. I think we are lacking in the talent department regarding the DBs. The entire secondary had a horrible day against UF. Hopefully they improve some against LSU.

What gives?
We are close to a season and half from the low point of the UT Vols history. Why can’t be Georgia good by now? Someone has to suck ! It’s vol nation after all!!
I mean from 3 wins to 13 wins shouldn’t take more than 2 seasons , right??
LOL!!

I get not trying to throw the players under the bus. But this sounds like a spin on an atrocious defensive performance. Take some accountability. Most of us know we don’t have the man power on defense yet

That's good to know. It's a data point.

Do you know how Brent and Tim divided up these key duties* of the coordinator?

-- designing plays
-- making decisions on positions and roles
-- game preparation
-- opponent scouting
-- teaching, training and education

I'm sure they probably both shared most of the duties. So which of them did each task to what percentage, do you think? Like, Pry 60%, Banks 40% on designing plays for the playbook? Banks 75%, Pry 25% on studying the opponent?

How much do you know about how they divvied up their responsibilities?

* drew this list from a nice web site built to educate people on football coaching practices and concepts. The particular article I reference is: https://footballadvantage.com/defensive-coordinator/

I know that Pry was the DC and Banks was an assistant to him. I recommend emailing James Franklin to see if he'll share the answers to your questions. James Franklin's email may be public record, since he's a state employee. Maybe this will help you get to the bottom of this. But, Banks was not the DC at Penn St and hasn't been a DC for 15 years now anywhere. Please report correct information.

I know that Pry was the DC and Banks was an assistant to him. I recommend emailing James Franklin to see if he'll share the answers to your questions. James Franklin's email may be public record, since he's a state employee. Maybe this will help you get to the bottom of this. But, Banks was not the DC at Penn St and hasn't been a DC for 15 years now anywhere. Please report correct information.
I don't need the answer to these questions. I'm just pointing out that "he had a weak resume" isn't true, and is no valid reason for people to have been critical of Banks from the day he was hired.

Again, I think you were much closer to right when you said "BVS." That's not it exactly, but it's much closer than this stuff about a resume.

I mean, winning is important yea I get that. But if our offense had just 1 more 3 and out, we would have lost. Is that really something to hang your hat on as a defensive coordinator? I guarantee you this game will be AR15s best game he will play this year. I hate to think that this historic offense will be wasted by a crappy defense but hopefully we see some improvement when we play LSU.

Reactions: 08Vol
I have noticed that too. Bottom line is the defense needs to improve especially tackling in the secondary. The good thing is Banks knows that. Tackling and fundamentals can be coached. I think we are lacking in the talent department regarding the DBs. The entire secondary had a horrible day against UF. Hopefully they improve some against LSU.
All I know is for the first time in a long time, I am not worried about our coaches. Tim will either improve our defense or be replaced.
Hype was ecstatic about our D during the Pitt game.

What gives?

Probably because he’s short and has lazy eyes.

I won’t pretend to know what the strategy is that the coaching staff puts in place, but I have a hard time believing they came into this say “if we can hold them under 500 yards passing we win”.

The difference to me is this, HH played his game and Richardson played (overachieved) his game. It's not like Fla doesn't have athletes, it's still Fla. Our defense played good enough, obviously not what the fans wanted, but they made key plays when it mattered. We got the W. If Bama and UGA throw for 500 yards and we get the W, I am ok with that...jmo

You're right.
Here's his recent resume:
2007–2009 Central Michigan (DC)
2010–2011 Cincinnati (co-DC/DB)
2012–2015 Illinois (DC/DB)
2016–2020 Penn State (co-DC/S)
2021–present Tennessee (DC/S)

Thanks for sharing to clear this up.....but back to the original question about people on the fence about Banks from the start...it was due to lack of experience in that role at a high level and people (rightfully so) argued UT needed someone seasoned enough to lead a defense in the toughest league in college football.

Banks is in Denial. "The fact that Florida totally disrespected our Defense by going for it on 4th Down inside their own 30 and making it along with every 4th down and 3rd and long is inconsequential." "We won, didn't we?" I've never heard a Coach totally shun responsibility like that. Start teaching fundamentals; Mr Banks. Like Tackling. Worst tackling I've seen since Alabama's Calvin Culliver ran roughshod over the Vols.

The difference to me is this, HH played his game and Richardson played (overachieved) his game. It's not like Fla doesn't have athletes, it's still Fla. Our defense played good enough, obviously not what the fans wanted, but they made key plays when it mattered. We got the W. If Bama and UGA throw for 500 yards and we get the W, I am ok with that...jmo
I land on Richardson having an amazing game more than our D is the worst ever. I remember Dobbs made defenses look foolish. Adrian Martinez just made Oklahoma look inept. It happens, sometimes.

VN Store

Back