• 3. Not Sure Yet

Votes: 260 33.8%
  • 4. Displeased

Votes: 38 4.9%
  • 5. Very Displeased

Votes: 28 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caldwell could be a tremendous hire. Clearly an up and comer that's had success. Now that more time has passes since the Summit era, that shadow doesn't look quite so large these days, although it will never fully go away.

Danny White can afford to gamble with this hire. His job won't be put in jeopardy based on women's basketball....

It's a good thing they didnt have message boards when Pat was hired. Ya'll would have freaked out for hiring a coach that just got back from playing in thr oylmpics, barely older than her players, and no head coaching experience.

Yeah, a few other things were different in 1974 as well. The comparisons to Pat taking over as HC, when the Lady Vols were literally just one notch above an intramural team,, are not relevant. I know I am shouting into the wind but these comparisons are dumb...

Last edited:
Yes i think Dawn Staley is a good coach. Look at Kentucky Cal is a great recruiter he has 4 and 5 star players. And he has only won one National Championship at Kentucky. Kim Caldwell, if she can recruit and get players in Transfer Portal i think she will be good for the Lady Vols. One thing she needs is to make the Lady Vols more athletic. Kim's first year probaly going to have to get players in Transfer Portal.
I saw a play when Chloe Kitts went from the top to baseline and kiss of the glass I was like that’s what we need.more players with that skill set so being a more athletic team is definitely a must

Reactions: rickyyrs
I support the hire as she is our person for now. But my support is hanging by a thread. If we’ve replaced a Sweet Sixteen annual coach with one who cannot get there I'm hitting my ejector button early. If we aren’t competitive with LSU or USC, we beat LSU last season and came within one of USC this year, will also cause my support to wane.

What I find strange about UT is that we don't seem to do actual coaching "searches" anymore. That may account for our problems.

When Summitt retired, we didn't conduct a search for a replacement. She apparently wanted Warlick to succeed her--a longtime no. 2 assistant, a few years as No. 1 and, most of all, "friend of Pat." She failed. When Warlick was let go, Fulmer didn't conduct a search. He did a sort of lazy, pretend search, quickly focusing on two former Vol players associated with Summitt--Lawson (no college coaching experience) and Harper. He hired Harper. She did not succeed.

When Pruitt was fired as football coach, White by all accounts did little more than a cursory search for new coach. He apparently made a stab at hiring Penn State's coach--but didn't do much searching beyond that. When Franklin declined the approach, White hired the football he'd just left at UCF--Heuepel. White's first hire.

White's second hire was our current soccer coach. No search. Longtime assistant. White talked to the players, the players like Kirt. He hired Kirt. It's looking problematic.

And now this: I don't know for certain--but it's appears that there really wasn't much of a search. Either he had this idea early on that he wanted to hire her, which I'd bet is the case---or she was somewhere down the list and we got turned down by various coaches in quick succession and he got down to her. I don't think that's what happened.. It's all moot. It would be nice to get the backstory about hires, but we never do.

Reactions: brittannica
Let's correct this myth--which apparently emerged because Heupel has had one good season in three--that White is some sort
of hiring guru. He's not.

Johnny Dawkins, the current men's BB coach at Central Florida, hired by White, has a 500 conference record in, I think, 7 or so
seasons--72 and 72. In the last 4 years his teams have finished 6th twice, 7th once and 9th (this past season) in the conference. His
seat is surely getting warm. It's interesting that White hired Dawkins because he was not good at Stanford, his previous job--an under
.500 conference record and he was sacked.

Bobby Hurley, whom White hired at Buffalo, has been a complete flop at Arizona State. His conference win rate over his 8 seasons
is 46 percent--and that in a Pac12 conference that is WEAK in basketball. I have no idea why he hasn't yet been fired. Perhaps it's because
Arizona State has never been good in BB and because Hurley won two titles when he played at Duke and his brother (much better coach) is
about to win his 2nd-straight national title with UConn.

Abrahamson-Henderson, whom he hired as WBB coach at UCF, did well there, but has struggled in her two years at Georgia. She was 9-7 in the SEC in her first season--and last year was 3-13, the Bulldogs finishing next to last in the conference.

Nate Oats, whom he hired at Buffalo, has been successful at Bama.

I think this myth was also bolstered by the false idea that many had that White hired Vitello--the baseball coach. He didn't. Currie hired him. The best coaches at Tennessee--Barnes, Kredich, Woodruff and Vitello--were not hired by White. And neither was Pensky, the soccer coach who left and just won a national title at FSU. White did hire Pensky's replacement--and 20 wins completely dropped to 11 and then 9.

I've got nothing against White, I'm glad that our athletics overall have been strong, but all this slobbering over the guy is off the mark. Caldwell is a major roll of the dice, no question about it. Let's see how she does. Our last two WBB coaches were not proven winners at the major-college level and did not succeed, and that is why most everybody believed we needed an established coach to revive the program. White has done the opposite--made the same sort of hire that got the program in trouble. Third time a charm? I will say that personality is a factor in coaching success, and I don't think Warlick or Harper had it. Does Caldwell? We shall see.
I’ll save you a few long winded sentences, he kept Vitello here when other schools came calling.

Last edited:
Let's correct this myth--which apparently emerged because Heupel has had one good season in three--that White is some sort
of hiring guru. He's not.

Johnny Dawkins, the current men's BB coach at Central Florida, hired by White, has a 500 conference record in, I think, 7 or so
seasons--72 and 72. In the last 4 years his teams have finished 6th twice, 7th once and 9th (this past season) in the conference. His
seat is surely getting warm. It's interesting that White hired Dawkins because he was not good at Stanford, his previous job--an under
.500 conference record and he was sacked.

Bobby Hurley, whom White hired at Buffalo, has been a complete flop at Arizona State. His conference win rate over his 8 seasons
is 46 percent--and that in a Pac12 conference that is WEAK in basketball. I have no idea why he hasn't yet been fired. Perhaps it's because
Arizona State has never been good in BB and because Hurley won two titles when he played at Duke and his brother (much better coach) is
about to win his 2nd-straight national title with UConn.

Abrahamson-Henderson, whom he hired as WBB coach at UCF, did well there, but has struggled in her two years at Georgia. She was 9-7 in the SEC in her first season--and last year was 3-13, the Bulldogs finishing next to last in the conference.

Nate Oats, whom he hired at Buffalo, has been successful at Bama.

I think this myth was also bolstered by the false idea that many had that White hired Vitello--the baseball coach. He didn't. Currie hired him. The best coaches at Tennessee--Barnes, Kredich, Woodruff and Vitello--were not hired by White. And neither was Pensky, the soccer coach who left and just won a national title at FSU. White did hire Pensky's replacement--and 20 wins completely dropped to 11 and then 9.

I've got nothing against White, I'm glad that our athletics overall have been strong, but all this slobbering over the guy is off the mark. Caldwell is a major roll of the dice, no question about it. Let's see how she does. Our last two WBB coaches were not proven winners at the major-college level and did not succeed, and that is why most everybody believed we needed an established coach to revive the program. White has done the opposite--made the same sort of hire that got the program in trouble. Third time a charm? I will say that personality is a factor in coaching success, and I don't think Warlick or Harper had it. Does Caldwell? We shall see.

Folks may be jumping on the Heupel a bit early [7-6 and not bad from where he started; 11-2, great season win for the ages against Bama but did get smoked by GA; 9-4 and 4-4 in conference]. That third year regression should be a cause for some degree of concern. He has a solid recruiting class - #13 but it is a little to see what he can sustain over the long run. The football-by drives will probably flame my comment but the numbers are what they are.

Any honest assessment is that White likes to roll the dice. And he has picked some winners (like Oats) and some who have not, as you note.

So, honestly, Coach Caldwell could fall anywhere on the spectrum from great to terrible. She is making a huge leap to a Power 5 school.

Now here is one cause for optimism. Bo Ryan, albeit an older and more experienced coach, made the jump from D2 to D1 at U of Wisconsin and led the Badgers to back-to-back final fours and came close to winning it all second time around (had to resign due to workplace improprieties but that is a different issue)

If Caldwell is a genius which Bo Ryan definitely was, she will be able to overcome the early problems and White has every reason to give her a longer leash to make it happen.

Bo Ryan - Wikipedia

I trust Danny White. Period. Support all LV athletes in all sports. Go Big Orange.
This is where my head is as well. However UT‘s WBB is not a rebuilding sort of job. We’ve always made the tournament so anything less than that will sour me quickly. I’m not listening to any 3 or 4 year rebuilding plan. This is UT.

I Save you a few long winded sentences, he kept Vitello here when other schools came calling.
Okay, Mr Consistency, interesting that you gave Kellie no credit for keeping Holly's recruits from transferring (Horston and Burrell) but White is the great master of coaching in doing something similar.

Again, it does not matter in the grand scheme but i am starting to think you just change your rationales to fit the argument you want to make.

Nah, couldn't be.....

Okay, Mr Consistency, interesting that you gave Kellie no credit for keeping Holly's recruits from transferring (Horston and Burrell) but White is the great master of coaching in doing something similar.

Again, it does not matter in the grand scheme but i am starting to think you just change your rationales to fit the argument you want to make.

Nah, couldn't be.....
Guess you make stuff up as you go. I’ve stated Kellies best years were Hollys players. In John Wards voice, check the stats. You’re slipping

Guess you make stuff up as you go. I’ve stated Kellies best years were Hollys players. In John Wards voice, check the stats. You’re slipping
That is not giving Kellie credit for keeping those players. You consistently said that Kellie was riding Holly's proverbial coattails and that is definitely not what you implied about White. You know this.

Come'on man (In Joe Biden's voice).

Reactions: creekdipper
Josh Heupel type hire. Danny hired a systems coach who he believe can win rather than a name. While today White will have to take some lumps from the Name Crowd for not hiring a Walz or Hammon, 5 years from now this hire will likely seem genius.

That is not giving Kellie credit for keeping those players. You consistently said that Kellie was riding Holly's proverbial coattails and that is definitely not what you implied about White. You know this.

Come'on man (In Joe Biden's voice).
Saying her best years is pretty strong credit. Don’t think my complements have to be ran by your approval.

I'm cautiously optimistic. White did what I hoped he would do, which is to hire someone with no ties to the program. And he hired someone with an extremely good record over several years, albeit at lower levels. The woman can clearly coach to have put up a record like that, and that's good. But she will have to show that she can get the players. Mulkey isn't going away and neither is Staley. But Caldwell knows that as well as we do, and if she took the job, I can only presume she has no fear of going against them. That is a good place to start.

Reactions: travis929
get behind her and support her, Pat is gone I miss her wish she lived to 100 but life is what is it is

VN Store

Back