Thoughts on Olivier Nkamhoua?

At 6'9" and probably a wingspan wider than that, I'll bet that he can. And based on how he attacked the rim when he came in versus Memphis, he's not soft like his baby face would suggest.

Everyone can improve but he certainly couldn’t guard anyone this season. Just too soft to guard the 4 and not quick enough to guard the 3

Tennessee finished 193rd in offensive rebounding and 242nd in defensive rebounding last year. Olivier Nkamhoua wasn’t ready and Uros Plavsic showed more bust than boom potential. I’d bet Walker takes minutes from both.

Reactions: sport3500
Kent has been Barnes worst recruit
you simply can’t do worse than kent and you know it
No one is definitively arguing otherwise, but that's an entirely different discussion. The point is that we could have done worse than Kent by attempting to replace him, at that point. Kent isn't the worst player on the face of the earth, so there was room to potentially downgrade in talent and/or culture and chemistry. By all accounts, Zack Kent was a good kid who was OK with biding his time as a reserve. Who is to say that a marginally better player comes in to replace him, and becomes a locker room distraction because he thinks he should be starting?

I'm with you in thinking we needed to upgrade from Kent from a talent perspective, but we carried an open scholarship all the way into January when Vescovi enrolled, so Kent's presence didn't prevent us from pursuing anyone.

so Kent's presence didn't prevent us from pursuing anyone.

Sure it did in the previous classes

timing is everything in recruiting and Barnes has been very good on his first plan a guys:williams, Fulky, James, keon, walker and Springer

Where he has had his struggles is the plan B guys. Walker, kent, parker, ....

the more spots you know you have the more options you have for plan A front line guys. Kent 100% hurt that

Last edited:
Reactions: waynechismforthre
Just giving you a hard time. You and BTO both bring a lot to the board and I appreciate it. Sometimes you get off in the weeds though.
After reading this thread I’m going to go take another shower. There was so much pissing in this contest that some of it has to of splattered on me.

Tennessee finished 193rd in offensive rebounding and 242nd in defensive rebounding last year. Olivier Nkamhoua wasn’t ready and Uros Plavsic showed more bust than boom potential. I’d bet Walker takes minutes from both.
I suspect Anosike (sp?) will take those minutes, not sure where Walker will get his....maybe at the 3?

Reactions: sport3500
Sure it did in the previous classes

timing is everything in recruiting and Barnes has been very good on his first plan a guys:williams, Fulky, James, keon, walker and Springer

Where he has had his struggles is the plan B guys. Walker, kent, parker, ....

the more spots you know you have the more options you have for plan A front line guys. Kent 100% hurt that
The previous class in the previous year (18-19) where we also carried an open scholarship into the season? Doesn't seem like it.

Your point is hard to justify when we aren't carrying a full load of scholarship players.

The previous class in the previous year (18-19) where we also carried an open scholarship into the season? Doesn't seem like it.

Your point is hard to justify when we aren't carrying a full load of scholarship players.

We didn’t carry a full load because of 2 things.

1) bone and or williams surprised the staff by leaving. At the very least the staff didn’t expect both to leave when the early recruiting class was signed( the plan A guys i just posted about)

2) when the plan Aguys were being recruited in the early signing period Burns wasn’t believed to a one and done guy

So thus Holding that spot for Kent made those things hurt worse

We didn’t carry a full load because of 2 things.

1) bone and or williams surprised the staff by leaving. At the very least the staff didn’t expect both to leave when the early recruiting class was signed( the plan A guys i just posted about)

2) when the plan Aguys were being recruited in the early signing period Burns wasn’t believed to a one and done guy

So thus Holding that spot for Kent made those things hurt worse
Haha...okay. Open scholarships are open scholarships, no matter they come about. Zach Kent didn't prevent Tennessee from filling those spots. You choose some odd hills to dig in and die on.

Haha...okay. Open scholarships are open scholarships, no matter they come about. Zach Kent didn't prevent Tennessee from filling those spots. You choose some odd hills to dig in and die on.

Haha sorry you don’t get it that an open spot in November is way different than an open spot in late spring or summer. It’s obviously very different

I’d say many coaches always recruit as if they have one more spot than they think have on paper. In fact this past year was the First year we heard that Barnes was going to do that. Maybe he learned than attrition usually happens and if it doesn’t the worst player has to get the boot if you are over the 13. Kent was that last person every single year he was here

Last edited:
Haha sorry you don’t get it that an open spot in November is way different than an open spot in late spring or summer. It’s obviously very different

I’d say many coaches always recruit as if they have one more spot than they think have on paper. In fact this past year was the First year we heard that Barnes was going to do that. Maybe he learned than attrition usually happens and if it doesn’t the worst player has to get the boot if you are over the 13. Kent was that last person every single year he was here
Fun fact: that same open scholarship in November was also open the previous April. Both of the past two offseasons, in fact.

To his credit, he's persistent. Dead wrong, but persistent.

Dead wrong ??

You happy with the signings of burns, walker , kent , pember, uros and Olivier ?

from my seat that’s 5 signings that directly resulted in a bad year last year

The vols took enough of those last season and poor recruiting and not being willing to correct those wrongs quick enough was the culprit

We signed Jalen Johnson in the early signing period, how would adding another one of him helped us win more games last year? What about another Drew Pember who you’ve previously said shouldn’t be playing, he was an early add?

Dead wrong ??

You happy with the signings of burns, walker , kent , pember, uros and Olivier ?

from my seat that’s 5 signings that directly resulted in a bad year last year

And who’s to say if Kent left a year earlier we don’t add a similar type player?

We signed Jalen Johnson in the early signing period, how would adding another one of him helped us win more games last year? What about another Drew Pember who you’ve previously said shouldn’t be playing, he was an early add?

Pember is the outlier for sure as he was an early target

As for Johnson as I recall he and parker were late additional to that early signing period class and weren’t top plan A priorities

we took Johnson after losing to VCU iirc

Pember is the outlier for sure as he was an early target

As for Johnson as I recall he and parker were late additional to that early signing period class and weren’t top plan A priorities

we took Johnson after losing to VCU iirc
Parker was a late target due to his decommitment from Rutgers, Johnson had been on the board awhile and was in the early signing period which is what you had originally stated. As was Parker.

VN Store

Back