This team will be better than last year's team....

Maze is a true point guard like watson. This team is long and athletic. They need to get better defensively, but if they shoot the three like they did tonight, they'll be pretty damn good.

UTC's most glaring weakness was at PG imo and they knew that and attacked it defensively. I think he played great, but this doesn't prove much yet.

The defense was not shaky. It was much better than expected. They were in the passing lanes all night and harrassed UTC endlessly. Pearl even said on the postgame show that the D showed up quite well tonight.
Maybe I just imagined all of those wide open shots, I dunno.

The defense was great early in the game. It was all UTC could do just to get off a shot. I guess it didn't matter how the defense played after the Vols offense got warmed up.

Maybe I just imagined all of those wide open shots, I dunno.

The defense was great early in the game. It was all UTC could do just to get off a shot. I guess it didn't matter how the defense played after the Vols offense got warmed up.

It was just fun to watch.

How ironic is that Maze's nickname might just hold very true for us? Great start, great crowd. . . .hard to find anything negative to say.

The team looks really good. I agree Hopson is great offensively. He still needs to keep getting better on defense.He is really explosive with the ball. I hope he can do like Lofton did and make the clutch the pointer when needed. He made several tonight. It is different with pressure,but I am sure he will make the shot when needed.

I gotta say, besides the play of tha beasts Hopson and Maze, I was really impressed with Tatum tonight.

This was also the first game ive gotten to watch this year, and i was really worried about our 3 ball, but it seems Hopson, Tatum, and even Smith will carry us in that area. Very pleased tonight, cant wait for the Old Spice gig.

Tyler had a great game, but i didn't realize he had 21 points until i looked at he box score. He quietly gets the job done.

Tyler had a great game, but i didn't realize he had 21 points until i looked at he box score. He quietly gets the job done.

I was surprised, as well. I'd like to see him become a little more evident in the offense with the new guys in place, but I'll take a "quiet" 21. That means, to me, that the outside guys have done their jobs.

Tatum, Hopson and Maze all looked way better than expected tonight. We had no one looking absolutely lost on the floor and thats a good sign.

I was most impressed with the obvious improvement in athleticism of this team. I can only imagine how excited Pearl is to have this many athletes running his system. Should be a fun ride this year.

I can't help but wonder if this was just a great game by the Vols...not what they will bring to the table week in week out. It was a lot of fun to watch, but if they pull this kind of play off every week, I would be shocked. I'm happy they did it, hope for more, but don't expect it at all....they will see many more serious challenges and our PG play will get tested.

I can't help but wonder if this was just a great game by the Vols...not what they will bring to the table week in week out. It was a lot of fun to watch, but if they pull this kind of play off every week, I would be shocked. I'm happy they did it, hope for more, but don't expect it at all....they will see many more serious challenges and our PG play will get tested.

Somewhat of a Debbie Downer point of view, no?

We'll know where were headed after the Old Spice Classic. I have my doubts, but if they can work some more on their defense I think we are top.

I was thinking with about 10 minuts left that Tyler had not done much on offense. Maze, Tatum and Hopson was very impressive. This will be our best Pearl team yet.

I gotta say, besides the play of tha beasts Hopson and Maze, I was really impressed with Tatum tonight.

This was also the first game ive gotten to watch this year, and i was really worried about our 3 ball, but it seems Hopson, Tatum, and even Smith will carry us in that area. Very pleased tonight, cant wait for the Old Spice gig.

i agree. i was kinda bummed last year when he got redshirted. saw him play in the exhibition games last year and was very impressed with him. i think he's going to be a major advantage to our team coming off of the bench this year. he's good enough to start, but i dont think he will. i'd say we'll see good stuff from him though.

I have been saying this all along. Yes Lofton was the leading scorer, but he also took a lot of shots and he wasnt half the player he was junior year because of the cancer. I was glad when Bruce kicked Duke and Ramar off the team cause they were lazy thugs with bad attitudes who probably never would have lived up to their potential. With the addition of Negedu, with Brian Williams getting into shape and with Childress coming back soon, we are much deeper at the post positions. Bobby Maze is a real point guard, Ramar Smith was a driver and Howell was a shooter.

B-Maze was absolutely incredible. I could not get over how well he played

Scotty H. seems to be the real deal. Sweet stroke from three-point land

Swiperboy- Didn't do much, but is rly long and has nice touch

Ty Smith- 21 points. Hit the glass hard, hustled everywhere, same old same old

Weezy- Love his hustle and defense, rebounding was strong tonite, but pick better spots to shoot three's

JP Prince- The ultimate 6th man. Can do it all. His shot looked rly good.

C Tatum- This is kid is a straight up baller. He can drive, shoot, he can play

E Negadu- Still learning the game, needs to finish stronger, but great hustle and energy

B Will- Looked great physically. Strong and rebounded. Can face big bodies for us.

This team looks great. They are awesome offensively. Defensively little lazy and also on the boards. I want to see more mid-range game also, but still.

Grade: A+ for first game, they played almost perfect

VN Store

Back