This Team Was Not Ready to Play Football!

He might wanna prepare for the 2nd game first. Then, no matter the outcome, the 3rd game after that. Then...wait for it...wait for it.... The 4th!!!
I doubt very seriously if any of our coaching staff has even considered UF at this time. There's much to do in many areas on fundamentals alone and a prescribed way to go about it.

In all of my years on the world wide web message boards, I've been stalked with many irrelevant personal attacks. Yours is one. If you do not like my posts, then don't read them. You can put me on ignore and never read anything by me again.
LMAO!! don't flatter yourself. I am not STALKING you... I suspect no one is for that matter. Your post count and your pitiful amount of likes are public knowledge and show on every one of your posts....to the left of your message if you cant find it. THE LEFT OF YOUR MESSAGE. This post is actually the first time I've ever noticed one of your posts, guess I've been incredibly lucky in that regard.

Umm no, he is totally responsible for how they play. Good or bad.

It's comes with being the HFC.

There is a reason the Vols were 4-8 last year and we all know the reason.
This is a different season and so far there is no indication that anything has changed (allbeit only 1 game in)
Maybe Pruitt can prove everyone wrong and win with these players, only time will tell, but I won't hold it against Pruitt if he can't turn things around with mostly Butch Jones players.

Pruitt deserves to be judged with his players that he has recruited, not the ones that were part of the worst team in Tennessee history.

Reactions: AllVols
I doubt very seriously if any of our coaching staff has even considered UF at this time. There's much to do in many areas on fundamentals alone and a prescribed way to go about it.

Yep. At this point we still need to master proper tackling technique on defense, and blocking on offense. I'm not disheartened by the loss to WV, but I am by the lack of basic football fundamentals that we displayed in the loss. I expected a better showing after the spring and fall camps with this coaching staff.

Last edited:
I have kind of been ignoring this thread but think it is worth noting that the team actually was in really good shape. At the end of the first half WVU players looked gassed but our players were chugging away. The weather delay helped WVU big time. We may not have the best players right now but we do have the best conditioned which is a positive reflection on the coaching staff IMO. I hope everyone realizes this is a major rebuilding year. With our offensive line we will be lucky to win 5 but I guarantee Pruitt and Fulmer are making that a priority. For now they are just trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Reactions: tbones0711
This is a different season and so far there is no indication that anything has changed (allbeit only 1 game in)
Maybe Pruitt can prove everyone wrong and win with these players, only time will tell, but I won't hold it against Pruitt if he can't turn things around with mostly Butch Jones players.

Pruitt deserves to be judged with his players that he has recruited, not the ones that were part of the worst team in Tennessee history.
I disagree. A ball coach will coach players to play competitively regardless. The other posters are right - this is only the first Sat. But we will know quickly whether Pruitt is a ball coach.

Reactions: AllVols
So, he is responsible for how good/bad players are that he didnt even recruit? Seems reasonable

We have talent, stop dragging up that tired excuse. Many of our players had multiple SEC and or P5 offers so it's not like we have a team cobbled together from the scrap heap that nobody wanted.

WV was a much harder hitting football team, on both defense and offense, I'm not so sure this is something that can be fixed.
I feel better about the younger players, but the players that have been here awhile don't seem to have the physical makeup for becoming hard hitting football players (Butch Jones players)
I expected some pop and zing, players flying to the ball in our defensive backfield. It simply didn't materialize. Seems as though they were tentative and falling off receivers while trying to tackle. Warrior played like he didn't want to get his pants dirty and Bituli was hardly even mentioned. CJP blew it by calling the wrong blitz packages on several big plays. UWV apparently knew that UT would would try hard to pressure Grier and they prepared well for it. CBS's commentator Danielson said teams are gonna be mistaken by trying to blitz Grier this year.
This was one of the worse scenarios a new coach, implementing new schemes with uncertain players, could imagine. The upside is gonna be the large amount of info to be gained by the film study. In retrospect I think now that UT was forced to have to play a conservative game.The big difference maker was UWV players have lots of in game experience and are able to work as a unit very much so on the offensive side of the ball. UT was out-matched.

An example. Give Scott Satterfield a summer camp with his guys and App State will play with anyone in the country. Give Pruitt a summer camp and we have a bust against a big 12 17th ranked WV - Really??????
Okay, Satterfield has been coach at Appy State for a while now, so he has been developing his guys for a lot longer than Pruitt has had with this Tennessee team. That is not, in any way, a viable comparison. I suspect you as one of those who disagreed with Pruitt from day 1 and you will bash after every loss this team has. Pruitt's only body of work to judge from is his time as an up and coming assistant coach, to DC, to one game as a head coach. If, after a season, this team has not developed, and it becomes obvious he is in over his head, then you have more to assess from. For now, let's all get behind the team and coaches and support them like real fans.

I don't and didn't expect Pruitt to come in and win the SEC east but I did expect the team to be competitive against similar talent. We weren't. A good coach can teach blocking and tackling and quit making our guys out to be untalented rubes, there are good football players on this team. They just need to be put in the right situations and coached up.

He has time and I'm rooting for the guy.

Reactions: AllVols and McDad
My only answer comes from the eyeball test and that showed a poorly coached and prepared team.

Do you think we have poor coaches?

I don't, that's part of the reason I'm as frustrated as I am. Maybe some of the things being brought up are excuses, but I have no clue which ones are and aren't.

I mean, overall I think we looked like crap. Nothing like I expected and I still expected us to lose (by 3-7 points). I want to think Pruitt is better than that and I actually do, so what happened? Idk.

Reactions: livefaith
We will get better. Have you seen Pruitts past game presser? He revealed a lot of info into why the OL struggled. He talked about the D and how he and his staff have to do a better job. Didntbtrow any players under the bus and took responsibility.
It’s nice to have someone who understands leadership and accountability. Maybe the people that already think Pruitt sucks will end up being right but I doubt it because he seems to have the fundamentals of a good leader and he certainly knows football. Yes we lost big but it’s one freaking game and there are some truly positive signs. I say those that jump ship now don’t get a lifeline when we turn this thing around.

Do you think we have poor coaches?

I don't, that's part of the reason I'm as frustrated as I am. Maybe some of the things being brought up are excuses, but I have no clue which ones are and aren't.

I mean, overall I think we looked like crap. Nothing like I expected and I still expected us to lose (by 3-7 points). I want to think Pruitt is better than that and I actually do, so what happened? Idk.

It's too early to tell if we have poor coaches or not, I was extremely shocked by how poorly the team played and I expected a much closer game.

We'll know more about what we have after the next 3-4 weeks.

No doubt but I don't think he'd have made it very long at any program that gets a lot of media attention. I've hung out with the guy.
Interesting. Why do you say that (if you're willing to share)?

LMAO!! don't flatter yourself. I am not STALKING you... I suspect no one is for that matter. Your post count and your pitiful amount of likes are public knowledge and show on every one of your posts....to the left of your message if you cant find it. THE LEFT OF YOUR MESSAGE. This post is actually the first time I've ever noticed one of your posts, guess I've been incredibly lucky in that regard.
Are you being serious here? Lulz, I hope not.

You are brave. Posting when you have nothing to add to the conversation takes guts.

And in that regard, are you the poster who lives on the west coast and gets really despondent after a loss?

Reactions: joevol33

VN Store

Back