This Team Was Not Ready to Play Football!

Underclassmen = Freshmen and sophomores so the max Bud or any VT coach could teach them is 2 seasons. Are you saying he's a far superior coach than Pruitt or their players are a lot smarter?
I dont know if he's superior but I bet his defense at a talent rich school like Bama or FSU would be nasty.

I'm pretty sure the majority of VTs starters are underclassmen, didn't take them long to learn a new system and play fast.
That's splitting hairs there, Bud Foster has ran the same D for years recruited for that style and is not a complex system. But I see your point but you have to keep in mind most our players have only been in a 4-3 system was recruited for a 4-3 system so there is a learning curve. I would like to have seen alittle more just athletic speed but it wasn't there

Wasn't this the same excuse we used for Butch in 2013 and Dooley in 2010?
Usually the case after a coach is fired after all there was a reason they were fired. Minus Kiffin he left with some of his recruits that kind of hurt us.

I dont know if he's superior but I bet his defense at a talent rich school like Bama or FSU would be nasty.

No doubt but I don't think he'd have made it very long at any program that gets a lot of media attention. I've hung out with the guy.

That's splitting hairs there, Bud Foster has ran the same D for years recruited for that style and is not a complex system. But I see your point but you have to keep in mind most our players have only been in a 4-3 system was recruited for a 4-3 system so there is a learning curve. I would like to have seen alittle more just athletic speed but it wasn't there

It doesn't take years to teach proper tackling technique or man up run blocking, we didn't do either well Saturday night.

Typically these kids will play their heart out in the first game for a first year head coach. These guys came out completely flat, slow, and very little emotion. The O line missed way to many easy assignments throughout the game. The DBs looked pitiful. This team did not look well coached in any way shape or form. I expected a loss but expected a competitive game which this game was not even close to a competitive game. I just cannot believe how unprepared this team was. Pruitt has used his "mulligan". Get this team prepared for the 4th week.

Whoa, chill a bit.

Maybe, apart from Trey Smith, our O line just isn't that good. Josh Dobbs and Alvin Kamara, and yes, Jalen Hurd managed to cover up a bunch of weaknesses in our line play.

Our secondary has been questionable for some time.

You can't turn chicken**** into chicken salad in 5 months.

I believe it's a bit early to call this CJP's mulligan.

Reactions: tbones0711
I dont know, I thought we would have looked better losing than that, but I see you and others telling everyone you're tired of hearing excuses, I just thought you had the answer.

My only answer comes from the eyeball test and that showed a poorly coached and prepared team.

An example. Give Scott Satterfield a summer camp with his guys and App State will play with anyone in the country. Give Pruitt a summer camp and we have a bust against a big 12 17th ranked WV - Really??????

The last time App State played a P5 team that competitively was against Michigan in an upset in 2007. Their only P5 win. It can happen with them. Just not all that often. In a UM rematch they got pounded. They got pounded by LSU in 2008. Got pounded by Clemson as well. Came close to PSU Saturday. Irrelevant post.

No one should watch the film from this game.

Needs to be burned.

These guys are watching the game film...

ulfbyE.gif

Reactions: McDad and photovol
We will get better. Have you seen Pruitts past game presser? He revealed a lot of info into why the OL struggled. He talked about the D and how he and his staff have to do a better job. Didntbtrow any players under the bus and took responsibility.

That's all great. Congrats to Jeremy for being less of a used car salesman than Butch.

Remains to be seen if he and his staff are actual upgrades where it matters though. Game 1 has that open for debate unfortunately.

This program needs coaches that can actually improve the roster and get the most out of players, not win press conferences.

An example. Give Scott Satterfield a summer camp with his guys and App State will play with anyone in the country. Give Pruitt a summer camp and we have a bust against a big 12 17th ranked WV - Really??????
Stop acting like App State is still a 1-AA school. They've been winning 10 games a year in G5 for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: igotworms
Wasn't this the same excuse we used for Butch in 2013 and Dooley in 2010?

Yes. We are stuck in an endless loop of suck. In most cases, good coaches win quickly and bad coaches lose quickly. It's pretty simple. Hoping like hell Pruitt starts winning, but everyone should be done making excuses for losses - let alone blowout losses.

We will get better. Have you seen Pruitts past game presser? He revealed a lot of info into why the OL struggled. He talked about the D and how he and his staff have to do a better job. Didntbtrow any players under the bus and took responsibility.

How long can Ptuitt cover up for the players?
I realize a coach can't throw his players under the buss, but there's a limit as to how long he can keep taking responsibility for the way they play, isn't there?

How long can Ptuitt cover up for the players?
I realize a coach can't throw his players under the buss, but there's a limit as to how long he can keep taking responsibility for the way they play, isn't there?

Umm no, he is totally responsible for how they play. Good or bad.

It's comes with being the HFC.

VN Store

Back