this team is just hard

We’ve played 13 games in and are from here on out playing a harder schedule. We’ve averaged .94 ppp the last three games against solid competition. The offense the last two games against SEC play has been porous. That’s a ton of “what if’s” in there and I can easily say ON isn’t gonna shoot 55% from 3 to end the year. Considering our offensive efficiency usually doesn’t get better under Barnes after the halfway point I highly doubt we will be top 100 in eFG%.
Per Barttorvik…

-Our EFG% is 51.0 ranking 122nd nationally
-Adjusted offensive efficiency is 107.4 ranking 74th nationally

i expect both of those to be higher when the regular season concludes, again, barring major injury.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
To be fair, some of these three point shots have been good looks, just hasn’t seemed to fall.

Not to mention Powell whose one of your best shooters, passes up a lot of opportunities to let it fly.

I can recall several moments in the Ole Miss game, where Powell was hesitant to shoot the three and ended up passing the ball back out.

Shot selection hasn’t been bad, it’s just not been consistent like it needs to be for it be effective.

It’s the same concept Pearl & Oats uses. Barnes is just following the same path.
I wish Powell had Bailey's confidence.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Per Barttorvik…

-Our EFG% is 51.0 ranking 122nd nationally
-Adjusted offensive efficiency is 107.4 ranking 74th nationally

i expect both of those to be higher when the regular season concludes, again, barring major injury.

Wish I had that confidence. KC gonna have to really step up for that to increase significantly

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yes winning is by far the most important thing. And I’d rather win than be entertained because it is more fun than style in sports. But sports are entertainment. I do think style can be important (which is why Pearl is still so loved here, his style while not conductive to tournament play was fun).

What was a more fun season in watching Vols football, Pruitt going 8-5 or Heupel going 7-6? I’ll tell ya I had a lot more fun and enjoyed watching Tennessee more in 2021 than in 2019.

I’ll also tell ya this. I’m sure Virginia fans aren’t complaining. They have a great basketball program. But as someone who can barely watch college basketball now outside of my two teams, I can’t imagine I’d actually looking forward to Virginia basketball. That kind of style really grinds my gears. Even if you begrudgingly have to admit it works.

And while maybe some people won’t admit it, I think that’s partially why fans are starting to become more frustrated with Barnes. Because the last 2.5 years have not been pretty basketball. Now we start winning in March, those frustrations will be quelled. But when you have this much talent and it’s this hard to score, it’s frustrating.
I’m a fan and I’m NOT frustrated with Barnes. Why do you think UT fans are frustrated with Barnes? Is it because only 16K are showing up to watch them play? Maybe it’s the If you ain’t first your last Ricky Bobby mentality of a few vocal ones who show up on the message board to spread their negativity.

Show Me My Opponent, 2021-22: LSU, Part One

Gonna be interesting to see 3pt shooting today, according to Will Warrens game preview LSU is near tops in the nation in allowing/forcing teams to take 3’s, almost 50% of oppositions shots are 3’s. With that said they’re near tops in the nation at 3pt% defense, allowing 26.7%…according to his article that’s pretty much not sustainable according to history, so a part of their #1 defense is luck of teams not hitting a higher percent of 3’s. Obviously Tennessee hasn’t shot well from 3 to this point, but also in his article he mentions almost half of Tennessee’s catch and shoot 3ms are considered “open” which is well above national average, but we are shooting just 34% on open 3’s which is well below the national average, and below the expected number given the history of players taking them.

Do those numbers maybe work themselves out some today? Later? Ever? LSU’s defense excels on post ups and 2pt shots, so posting up Fulk/ON seems like a horrible strategy, really need our guards to let it fly with confidence.

I love to watch this team because they play hard. They are one of if not the best defensive team in the country. Our shooting is a mystery sometimes, how we can be so cold and then get so hot there is rarely much middle ground. But our defense never relents and that is a joy to watch so much effort. If we’re hitting everybody watch out! GBO! Now shut down this silly thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: Goalpost82
You get fired regardless of salary, CCM was making towards bottom of league in salary, yet people were unhappy with him. People have expectations for the program regardless of salary, such a dumb take.
Yeah, coaches are hired and fired based on wins and loses almost entirely. I do think too much pay could put a coach out a little earlier than they would have otherwise.

Show Me My Opponent, 2021-22: LSU, Part One

Gonna be interesting to see 3pt shooting today, according to Will Warrens game preview LSU is near tops in the nation in allowing/forcing teams to take 3’s, almost 50% of oppositions shots are 3’s. With that said they’re near tops in the nation at 3pt% defense, allowing 26.7%…according to his article that’s pretty much not sustainable according to history, so a part of their #1 defense is luck of teams not hitting a higher percent of 3’s. Obviously Tennessee hasn’t shot well from 3 to this point, but also in his article he mentions almost half of Tennessee’s catch and shoot 3ms are considered “open” which is well above national average, but we are shooting just 34% on open 3’s which is well below the national average, and below the expected number given the history of players taking them.

Do those numbers maybe work themselves out some today? Later? Ever? LSU’s defense excels on post ups and 2pt shots, so posting up Fulk/ON seems like a horrible strategy, really need our guards to let it fly with confidence.

…did you say, “Let It Fly!”?

giphy.gif

Rick Barnes is a great man, great recruiter, and a great ambassador, but he hit his ceiling with Grant and Admiral and Bone. His offense is simply not good enough in today’s game.
His offense is just missing good looks. They pass well but they do need to get more out of the paint consistently. But a lot of it is simply not hitting open looks. And also missing quite a few easy looks at times.

VN Store

Back