this team is just hard

So you're predicting more than one or two in the tourney this season.
That literally has nothing to do with your comparison….Purdue and Tennessee were 2 unranked teams, on an average year you’re probably talking about teams around 40-50 in the country, that’s a far cry from a ranked team which in its last 3 NCAAT trips has a 2, 3 and 5 seed…if NCAAT was today it’s another Top 4-5 seed…much more comparable to a NYE type bowl game, like a Citrus etc.

Barnes has his downfalls/negatives, I don’t get why folks feel the need to exaggerate things or just blatantly be inaccurate to try and make him look bad. Saying Barnes is Mark Richt would seemingly be much more accurate than claiming he’s a 7-5 Music City kinda guy.

Last edited:
That literally has nothing to do with your comparison….Purdue and Tennessee were 2 unranked teams, on an average year you’re probably talking about teams around 40-50 in the country, that’s a far cry from a ranked team which in its last 3 NCAAT trips has a 2, 3 and 5 seed…if NCAAT was today it’s another Top 4-5 seed…much more comparable to a NYE type bowl game, like a Citrus etc.

Barnes has his downfalls/negatives, I don’t get the why folks feel the need to exaggerate things or just blatantly be inaccurate to try and make him look bad.
He makes himself look bad when he says things like this is a good shooting team or tells the press this is one of his best teams ever. Sort of makes himself look a bit senile. And I'm not for firing him. Just wish the old fart would get his **** together before he hangs it up and do something impressive for a change. The same old song and dance is getting old and stale.
Oh and TN finished the season #24 th or so it was reported.

He makes himself look bad when he says things like this is a good shooting team or tells the press this is one of his best teams ever. Sort of makes himself look a bit senile. And I'm not for firing him. Just wish the old fart would get his **** together before he hangs it up and do something impressive for a change. The same old song and dance is getting old and stale.
Oh and TN finished the season #24 th or so it was reported.
I think it’s a pretty good shooting team, we’ve shown flashes of it, I don’t think that’s necessarily some crazy statement by him…just like I don’t think saying it’s one of his best Tennessee teams is crazy either. We are 10-3, ranked Top 20 and projected as a 4 seed by most up to date brackets, not sure where the overly negative and acting like this season has sucked is coming from…we are literally right where most projected us to be. And that’s with 1 loss coming in OT and another coming without arguably our 2 best players on the road in a place we have struggled…these takes are just strange.

You mean ranked, like neither Purdue or Tennessee?

I think it’s a pretty good shooting team, we’ve shown flashes of it, I don’t think that’s necessarily some crazy statement by him…just like I don’t think saying it’s one of his best Tennessee teams is crazy either. We are 10-3, ranked Top 20 and projected as a 4 seed by most up to date brackets, not sure where the overly negative and acting like this season has sucked is coming from…we are literally right where most projected us to be. And that’s with 1 loss coming in OT and another coming without arguably our 2 best players on the road in a place we have struggled…these takes are just strange.

2 points in 10 minutes of basketball will create a lot of strange takes and probably more in the future.

Reactions: Zues1
2 points in 10 minutes of basketball will create a lot of strange takes and probably more in the future.
Sure, talk about that…but ignore the other ranked teams in recent days who put up fewer points than we did. Off nights happen, you wanna talk about it it’s fair, but we found a way to win that game…I rather win a game like that than lose a shootout, maybe you enjoy the result of the football game against Pitt more?

Sure, talk about that…but ignore the other ranked teams in recent days who put up fewer points than we did. Off nights happen, you wanna talk about it it’s fair, but we found a way to win that game…I rather win a game like that than lose a shootout, maybe you enjoy the result of the football game against Pitt more?
Why do you always point at what other teams are doing. this is Tennessee and we've been watching the same old song every season, lot's of D and some offense whenever they can muster it.
I'd rather watch a quarter of TN football win or lose then what we had to sit thru the first 10 of this last game. and u act like it's the first time every time it happens? 8 minute 10 minute droughts every game unless it's a cup cake they can beat up on and then it's the pumper's wee weeing for joy.

Why do you always point at what other teams are doing. this is Tennessee and we've been watching the same old song every season, lot's of D and some offense whenever they can muster it.
I'd rather watch a quarter of TN football win or lose then what we had to sit thru the first 10 of this last game. and u act like it's the first time every time it happens? 8 minute 10 minute droughts every game unless it's a cup cake they can beat up on and then it's the pumper's wee weeing for joy.
Because acting like most teams don’t have an off night or two, over a 30+ game season is having your head in the sand

I’ll wait for you to name all the the other 8-10 minute droughts we’ve had this season….

Reactions: walkenvol
Hamilton was a weakling.
Hamilton was a bean counter only. He knew nothing about sports. He told the suits that he could save them money, so he hired Dooley who had a losing record from SE La. He saved them money alright but he screwed the athletic department for the last 15 years. The bigger problem was not his fault only. The bigger problem was the dissension in the leadership at the top.

We are 123rd in eFG% in 13 games. We aren’t a good shooting team

In a game that we won. So is your issue with winning and losing, or is your issue with being entertained? Because you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth at the current moment to demand to be entertained while also passive-aggressively shaming Barnes’s postseason production.

Continuing your football reference, our defense frustrated the heck out of me, this year. Oh sure, we scored a lot of points, but we lost several games in which we scored enough points to win. And I’m supposed to walk away from that feeling some sense of moral victory because the offense entertained me? What about the 40 minutes we spent playing defense and giving up 500+ yards and 40 points? To quote Herm Edwards, “You play to win the game.”

Your perspective seems skewed. The defense in the Ole Miss game entertained me even if the offense was awful in spurts. And guess what, we won.

Because acting like most teams don’t have an off night or two, over a 30+ game season is having your head in the sand

I’ll wait for you to name all the the other 8-10 minute droughts we’ve had this season….

The droughts are frustrating but they happen. Fans remember what they want. The naysayers always point out the droughts. They never remember the 16-2 start against a ranked team.

In a game that we won. So is your issue with winning and losing, or is your issue with being entertained? Because you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth at the current moment to demand to be entertained while also passive-aggressively shaming Barnes’s postseason production.

Continuing your football reference, our defense frustrated the heck out of me, this year. Oh sure, we scored a lot of points, but we lost several games in which we scored enough points to win. And I’m supposed to walk away from that feeling some sense of moral victory because the offense entertained me? What about the 40 minutes we spent playing defense and giving up 500+ yards and 40 points? To quote Herm Edwards, “You play to win the game.”

Your perspective seems skewed. The defense in the Ole Miss game entertained me even if the offense was awful in spurts. And guess what, we won.

Yes winning is by far the most important thing. And I’d rather win than be entertained because it is more fun than style in sports. But sports are entertainment. I do think style can be important (which is why Pearl is still so loved here, his style while not conductive to tournament play was fun).

What was a more fun season in watching Vols football, Pruitt going 8-5 or Heupel going 7-6? I’ll tell ya I had a lot more fun and enjoyed watching Tennessee more in 2021 than in 2019.

I’ll also tell ya this. I’m sure Virginia fans aren’t complaining. They have a great basketball program. But as someone who can barely watch college basketball now outside of my two teams, I can’t imagine I’d actually looking forward to Virginia basketball. That kind of style really grinds my gears. Even if you begrudgingly have to admit it works.

And while maybe some people won’t admit it, I think that’s partially why fans are starting to become more frustrated with Barnes. Because the last 2.5 years have not been pretty basketball. Now we start winning in March, those frustrations will be quelled. But when you have this much talent and it’s this hard to score, it’s frustrating.

The droughts are frustrating but they happen. Fans remember what they want. The naysayers always point out the droughts. They never remember the 16-2 start against a ranked team.
Because those people are negative and see life from a different perspective. Negativity and always pointing out the worst while seldom acknowledging the positive is just toxic.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

What are sports for. Is it your job to watch sports or do you watch them to be entertained. Now who is talking out both sides of the mouth?

We are 123rd in eFG% in 13 games. We aren’t a good shooting team
Potential probably should have been inserted…we are currently at 32.5% from deep as a team, it would appear Bailey has found his way to no playing time, if that is the case he’s done shooting obviously. If you remove his 3pta our 3pt% goes from 32.5% to 33.9%, not a huge jump but noticeable. JJJ has been better since his injury, not great but 30% compared to his like 18% before, if you remove his attempts on the season though we go to like 36%….again it’s potential, but I would bet a large sum that our efg% and 3pt% go up from their current spots, barring major injury.

Potential probably should have been inserted…we are currently at 32.5% from deep as a team, it would appear Bailey has found his way to no playing time, if that is the case he’s done shooting obviously. If you remove his 3pta our 3pt% goes from 32.5% to 33.9%, not a huge jump but noticeable. JJJ has been better since his injury, not great but 30% compared to his like 18% before, if you remove his attempts on the season though we go to like 36%….again it’s potential, but I would bet a large sum that our efg% and 3pt% go up from their current spots, barring major injury.

We’ve played 13 games in and are from here on out playing a harder schedule. We’ve averaged .94 ppp the last three games against solid competition. The offense the last two games against SEC play has been porous. That’s a ton of “what if’s” in there and I can easily say ON isn’t gonna shoot 55% from 3 to end the year. Considering our offensive efficiency usually doesn’t get better under Barnes after the halfway point I highly doubt we will be top 100 in eFG%.

What are sports for. Is it your job to watch sports or do you watch them to be entertained. Now who is talking out both sides of the mouth?
Winning is pretty entertaining. The Ole Miss game was frustrating to say the least; for about 38 minutes. The last couple in regulation and OT was entertaining to me. But others see it differently.

We’ve played 13 games in and are from here on out playing a harder schedule. We’ve averaged .94 ppp the last three games against solid competition. The offense the last two games against SEC play has been porous. That’s a ton of “what if’s” in there and I can easily say ON isn’t gonna shoot 55% from 3 to end the year. Considering our offensive efficiency usually doesn’t get better under Barnes after the halfway point I highly doubt we will be top 100 in eFG%.
I see it differently. I really believe offensively we will improve. I just don’t see this team shooting this poorly the last 16 SEC games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I watch it to be entertained. Winning entertains me, even if the path to victory is tough to stomach sometimes. How is that a demonstration of me talking out of both sides of my mouth?

You’d have a great point if we were 7-6 AND putrid to watch all the time on offense. But the irritating fact is, we are 10-3, ranked #20 in the country, and we have a few sour spells offensively, on occasion. You’re taking a micro view of our season to this point, and magnifying it while turning a blind eye to every ounce of success. That just doesn’t resonate with most level-headed people. It just comes off as you having an ax to grind.

Yes winning is by far the most important thing. And I’d rather win than be entertained because it is more fun than style in sports. But sports are entertainment. I do think style can be important (which is why Pearl is still so loved here, his style while not conductive to tournament play was fun).

What was a more fun season in watching Vols football, Pruitt going 8-5 or Heupel going 7-6? I’ll tell ya I had a lot more fun and enjoyed watching Tennessee more in 2021 than in 2019.

I’ll also tell ya this. I’m sure Virginia fans aren’t complaining. They have a great basketball program. But as someone who can barely watch college basketball now outside of my two teams, I can’t imagine I’d actually looking forward to Virginia basketball. That kind of style really grinds my gears. Even if you begrudgingly have to admit it works.

And while maybe some people won’t admit it, I think that’s partially why fans are starting to become more frustrated with Barnes. Because the last 2.5 years have not been pretty basketball. Now we start winning in March, those frustrations will be quelled. But when you have this much talent and it’s this hard to score, it’s frustrating.
I agree for the most part except for your last paragraph.

If Barnes starts winning more in March, it won’t stop his staunchest critics. Those people have made up their minds that he is some grumpy old curmudgeon who is set in his ways and intolerant of change. Those people have already made up their mind that they don’t like him. They’ll just find a new flaw to complain about. Success won’t fix that because a lot of those people are more interested in being right and vilifying him than admitting that he is willing to change when it seems right for him to do so. There are plenty of posters here in this forum that fall in that camp. And perhaps they represent the minority, but they certainly exist. Smart people will, perhaps begrudgingly, notice that he’s changed his offense, this year.

A lot of the same people that cried about our affinity for mid-range jumpers, and wondering aloud why we can’t be more like Bama and Auburn, last season, are now crying because we are shooting 30 3s a game just like Bama and Auburn. Do they think Bama and Auburn just roll out there and shoot 50% from 3 every single night? Those teams hit rough patches, offensively, too. They just don’t watch every game those teams play with bated breath. Our opponent, tomorrrow, LSU, is one of the best defensive teams in the country, if not the best per defensive efficiency metrics. They’re also 90th in offensive efficiency. Tennessee is 58th. We aren’t this consistently repulsive offense that many would try and have others believe. The same group that struggled vs TTU and Ole Miss came out and stomped a mudhole in Arizona and their 11th-ranked defense in the first 8 minutes.

I’d love to be entertained by our offense from start to finish, but in the end, I’ll suffer thru some rough spots to get an ugly win. It beats losing pretty any day of the weak.

In hindsight we should have told the NCAA to eff off and go kick rocks. And the SEC HQ leadership are a bunch of clowns for not having TN’s back. But IMO Bruce had peaked at TN even without getting caught. He’s been very lucky landing at such a traditionally corrupt place in Auburn as the NCAA enforcement was being neutered. With the N-I-L model Barn won’t have the advantage of being chronic cheaters for much longer. The winningest will shift hard to the best financed programs.

Thunder... have to disagree. Pearl broke my heart but you can't have adults, whose moral compass is in question, in charge of young men, that we hold accountable for academic integrity.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I agree for the most part except for your last paragraph.

If Barnes starts winning more in March, it won’t stop his staunchest critics. Those people have made up their minds that he is some grumpy old curmudgeon who is set in his ways and intolerant of change. Those people have already made up their mind that they don’t like him. They’ll just find a new flaw to complain about. Success won’t fix that because a lot of those people are more interested in being right and vilifying him than admitting that he is willing to change when it seems right for him to do so. There are plenty of posters here in this forum that fall in that camp. And perhaps they represent the minority, but they certainly exist. Smart people will, perhaps begrudgingly, notice that he’s changed his offense, this year.

A lot of the same people that cried about our affinity for mid-range jumpers, and wondering aloud why we can’t be more like Bama and Auburn, last season, are now crying because we are shooting 30 3s a game just like Bama and Auburn. Do they think Bama and Auburn just roll out there and shoot 50% from 3 every single night? Those teams hit rough patches, offensively, too. They just don’t watch every game those teams play with bated breath. Our opponent, tomorrrow, LSU, is one of the best defensive teams in the country, if not the best per defensive efficiency metrics. They’re also 90th in offensive efficiency. Tennessee is 58th. We aren’t this consistently repulsive offense that many would try and have others believe. The same group that struggled vs TTU and Ole Miss came out and stomped a mudhole in Arizona and their 11th-ranked defense in the first 8 minutes.

I’d love to be entertained by our offense from start to finish, but in the end, I’ll suffer thru some rough spots to get an ugly win. It beats losing pretty any day of the weak.

That’s like maybe 5-10% of the fanbase? Maybe five posters total on this particular forum? The loud minority doesn’t make a majority. I’d say if…25% of people aren’t happy with Barnes (and that might be too high) 20% of his criticisms are his March record just based on my opinions.

And while we do take a lot more 3’s than midrange shots, which is good! We still run a majority of 3/2 motion. I’m happy to see more 3’s but I think still his motion offense isn’t well designed (which I’ve stated for 2.5 years now).

Reactions: Native Orange
Can we stop jacking up three's every trip when we're shooting them below 15%

How about looking at this issue differently. If we miss our first seven threes and then make the next three that's 30% and puts 9 points on the board. If we shoot 10 two point shots and make five (50%) the shooting % screams we are awesome. But the truth is... if we continue to shoot only two point shots we will eventually lose. The answer to a poor shooting %...can only be corrected with shooting more...of course we must shoot better. That's why Coach Barnes kept screaming slow down... speed and great defence alters mechanics.

That’s like maybe 5-10% of the fanbase? Maybe five posters total on this particular forum? The loud minority doesn’t make a majority. I’d say if…25% of people aren’t happy with Barnes (and that might be too high) 20% of his criticisms are his March record just based on my opinions.

And while we do take a lot more 3’s than midrange shots, which is good! We still run a majority of 3/2 motion. I’m happy to see more 3’s but I think still his motion offense isn’t well designed (which I’ve stated for 2.5 years now).

To be fair, some of these three point shots have been good looks, just hasn’t seemed to fall.

Not to mention Powell whose one of your best shooters, passes up a lot of opportunities to let it fly.

I can recall several moments in the Ole Miss game, where Powell was hesitant to shoot the three and ended up passing the ball back out.

Shot selection hasn’t been bad, it’s just not been consistent like it needs to be for it be effective.

It’s the same concept Pearl & Oats uses. Barnes is just following the same path.

VN Store

Back