This is the best I’ve felt about the program forever it seems. Agree?

I’ll agree. I’m cautiously optimistic, but I agree. The difference is the staff. With every hire since Fulmer I’ve had to talk myself into thinking that the coach was the right the coach. With Kiffin it was he was young and full of bravado taking on Urban in his introductory press conference, but the kids love him. With Dooley he wore orange pants and said britches, so I guess he was one of us. Butch was a cliche machine, but he had won at Cincy and was the beneficiary of a legacy class. With Pruitt I could look past his inarticulate, dumbass demeanor bc he came from a great pedigree of UGA, FSU and was Saban’s guy. He is was widely thought of as a defensive genius .
Heupel is different. He’s smart, he’s genuine, he actually cares about the players and he goes to work without any show. He knows the expectations, he embraces them and knows what it takes to win at the highest level bc he’s done it as a player and has had success prior to being here. We may have really gotten lucky with everyone being afraid of our job and Heupel taking it.

I am cautiously optimistic. If they lose at home to Florida, I feel they will lose at LSU and at home again to Bama and start 0-3 in SEC. At this point, all optimism will be spent......

For sure.

Looking back 2016 there was great expectations, with the understanding that Jones could derail the season. He pulled a Jones and wrecked the season.

It time to stop living in the past.

JH and staff have showed promise. I expect them to live up to the standard they have established.

Reactions: TC 83
I'm legit excited, and have hope of actually being good for the first time in a while. Losing to Florida will hurt, but if we win that game, I'm going to honestly believe we have a chance against everybody.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I am cautiously optimistic. If they lose at home to Florida, I feel they will lose at LSU and at home again to Bama and start 0-3 in SEC. At this point, all optimism will be spent......
That’s fair. There are no moral victories.

When we lost to Nebraska in the Championship game end the 97 season, I believe that lit a fire under our team. It paid off in 98.

Right now there are teams on our schedule with a higher rated roster, either by stars, experience or depth, our guys will have to our work them to win those games. I expect they will put in the work and surprise some folks.

I’m really looking forward to seeing how great they will be.

Reactions: UTvol1fn
The big difference for me versus the past three staffs is there looks to be legit player development happening. We saw a lot of regression under past staffs. Only time will tell, but things are pointing in the right direction.

This team will be able to put points on the board. How many years in the past 10+ did a 10 point deficit feel almost insurmountable?

I’m going to feel really good if we see a big step forward with the defense this year.

The big difference for me versus the past three staffs is there looks to be legit player development happening. We saw a lot of regression under past staffs. Only time will tell, but things are pointing in the right direction.

This team will be able to put points on the board. How many years in the past 10+ did a 10 point deficit feel almost insurmountable?

I’m going to feel really good if we see a big step forward with the defense this year.
I agree, there does seem to be a culture of player development with Heupel and staff!

Reactions: VOLfrombama
funny but I do remember back in the day when (after a year or so) a lot of us thought "Hey, this new guy Dickey may be the real deal!"

and it really got old feeling good about the coaches and the program only to be brought back down by performance on the field! But, now I feel we can all think -- FINALLY! Whew. it's about time!

I agree, there does seem to be a culture of player development with Heupel and staff!

I’m with you though…cautiously optimistic. I thought we would win 3 games last year, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The wins have to come against some of our better competition this year to keep the momentum moving.

A good season this year should pay huge dividends in recruiting going forward.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
Cautious optimism. I wouldn't be surprised to see the team take a step back nor would I be surprised to see them improve by a game or 2.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
Go big orange, just wanted to say thanks coach thanks to the admin for finally getting it right, for righting the wrong. Too much history with this program to ever allow it to go backwards again.

Do I think we finally may have some stability? Yes

Do I agree this is the best I've felt in ages about the program? No, because it's too early to tell.

Last edited:
If the defense gets Much better, Heupel offense can get us to 9-10 wins every yr. Heupel doing a great job with what he inherited!!!

Reactions: chuck0303

VN Store

Back