This is looking like a Va. Tech Class

+1000. This is something that is totally overlooked by most fans, especially when coming up with these Va Tech, Utah, etc...comparisons. They would have no chance getting through the SEC unscathed or even close to it with their rosters.

Absolutely

+1000. This is something that is totally overlooked by most fans, especially when coming up with these Va Tech, Utah, etc...comparisons. They would have no chance getting through the SEC unscathed or even close to it with their rosters.

you should have gone to the Bowl Game last year, when the lowly ACC Va Tech completely wasted us........it was a total azz-kicking........:eek:lol:

as an outsider, i agree with some of the other guys...tennessee should never be satisfied with virginia tech type recruiting classes. that is a recipe for mediocrity if you are a SEC member.

Ok...by next year signing day...whats the chances of some of the 3 star recruits being raised to 4 or even maybe 5 stars.

It's totally irrelevent though when it pertains to Tennessee.
Winning an individual game means nothing. Having to compete against an SEC schedule week in and week out is what you have to do at Tennessee,. Tennessee would do just fine with "Va Tech or Utah type classes" if they were competing against teams in the Mountain West or ACC. They aren't.

Where did the convo get off track? The discussion was about building a team with talented and character players. I meantioned Utah and how they beat Bama. Last I checked you play one team at a time. All Utah did was line up and beat a talented Bama team. Doesn't matter what conference the team is from. Just talented, dedicated, high character players on the roster is and was the topic. Not the weekly grind of SECOND football. VT and Utah wouldn't do any worse than we have in the last few years.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Where did the convo get off track? The discussion was about building a team with talented and character players. I meantioned Utah and how they beat Bama. Last I checked you play one team at a time. All Utah did was line up and beat a talented Bama team. Doesn't matter what conference the team is from. Just talented, dedicated, high character players on the roster is and was the topic. Not the weekly grind of SECOND football. VT and Utah wouldn't do any worse than we have in the last few years.

:good!: :hi: :good!:

as an outsider, i agree with some of the other guys...tennessee should never be satisfied with virginia tech type recruiting classes. that is a recipe for mediocrity if you are a SEC member.

Not saying be satisfied with, but the occasional 3* on the roster is ok. UT can't get a roster of all 4* &5*. Look at the attrition rate of the last 5 years. The trouble makers and those no longer on the team were 4&5* recruits. But, I guess nice guys finish last.

I agree with the poster of the thread. I am not saying that these are the classes you sign every year, but you need a foundation of high quality young men that instill the attitude that is required to win in football and in life. We have had plenty of talented thugs that don't play more than a year or two. You get role models to mold troubled talented players into role models. You need both talent and character. Character cannot be coached as easily. I think we will be ok.

Seems plausible. Hopefully they are excellent at evaluating talent.

you should have gone to the Bowl Game last year, when the lowly ACC Va Tech completely wasted us........it was a total azz-kicking........:eek:lol:

How does beating a 7-5 Tennessee team in a bowl game prove that Virginia Tech could win an SEC Title or even compete for one? Winning a single individual game against an SEC opponent with a month to prepare means nothing. That is far different than playing against an SEC schedule week in and week out for an entire season.

LOL @ all the character threads. Sorry but they've become so predictable.

Translation = when you aren't recruiting well, the "high character" posts will sky-rocket!

Saw the same posts for the 06 and 08 classes. It will never cease.

You're missing the point, as is SGM. The OP isn't suggesting we change conferences, settle for VT recruiting classes for the long haul, or that we can win the SEC with that talent.

Everyone's pointed out Bama's 3* players who were key members of their NC team. We are not going to build depth to compete for SEC titles in one recruiting class. But if we build with those Bama type 3*'s who will actually stick around, what the hell is wrong with that. You all are complete idiots if you believe that Dooley or the fanbase are going to be satisfied with that for the long haul. Of course picking up the elite recruits is key as well. Did he pull a 5* in a couple of weeks last class? I can't remember...

It's a START. Why do you have so much difficulty comprehending that? Or do you just enjoy *****ing?

Last edited:
Not saying be satisfied with, but the occasional 3* on the roster is ok. UT can't get a roster of all 4* &5*. Look at the attrition rate of the last 5 years. The trouble makers and those no longer on the team were 4&5* recruits. But, I guess nice guys finish last.

Who says a 3* on the roster isn't okay? You're missing the point, which is you cannot build an entire recruiting class around 3* guys and expect to be successful in the SEC. Sure Alabama has plenty of 3*'s on their roster, but they don't build entire recruiting classes around only those guys.

Utah and Vt have had worse recruits than UT over the past couple seasons. But, unlike those schools, we haven't done ANYTHING with our classes. With the teams we've put on the field lately, we'd struggle in the Big Ten, Pac12, and MWC too. Its not who you play, because its played 1 game at a time. Regardless of schedule. UCLA swept us, Cal beat us, UTah beat Bama, oh and VT killed us with our 4&4* recruits.

You're missing the point, which is you cannot build an entire recruiting class around 3* guys and expect to be successful in the SEC. Sure Alabama has plenty of 3*'s on their roster, but they don't build entire recruiting classes around only those guys.

Where's the precident? Why are you assuming Dooley doesn't want to get more elite recruits? Why are you assuming the OP is saying, "This class IN JULY is shaping up like a VT class, and I'm okay with that for every UT class from here on out?"

The rush to criticize comments based on a lot of assumptions is ridiculous.

I am fine with the 3 stars we have now, but eventually we have to start signing 4 and 5 star players if we want to compete in the SEC. Florida, Bama, and LSU all won titles because they were loaded with talent. The stats speak for themselves. I still trust Dooley so far, but I don't jump throuh the roof with excitement because we sign a 3 star TE with a bad offer list.

Where's the precident? Why are you assuming Dooley doesn't want to get more elite recruits? Why are you assuming the OP is saying, "This class IN JULY is shaping up like a VT class, and I'm okay with that for every UT class from here on out?"

1. I'm not criticizing. I'm saying if Tennessee recruits Va Tech and Utah level classes they wont be any better than a 7-5 type of program in the SEC. Maybe an occasional 8-4 if they schedule wisely out of conference.

2. I'm not assuming at all that Dooley doesn't want elite recruits. He's obviously offered a lot of them and tried to recruit a lot of them. Certain fans on here are the ones "assuming" that he wants lower rated recruits with "character". Bottom line is Tennessee has to sign someone. If the elite guys they offered aren't interested, they will sign the B and C list guys they can get. It doesn't mean they were at the top of the coaches board like a lot of fans assume every player that commits to Tennessee is.

3. I realize Dooley has a much tougher product to sell right now than what Fulmer had to sell in when he brought in those horrible classes in 2006 and 2008. He doesn't have the experience or the resume as a head coach to sell that Fulmer did. So I'm certainly willing to give him a chance. I hope he does a great job. I do have to admit that I'm surprised by some of the offers he's handed out so far though. I think some of these guys they could hold off and offer in January and land.

Finally, fans can believe whatever they want, but it's just ridiculous for fans to assume or think Tennessee will be competitive among the SEC elite if the cornerstone of their recruiting classes are built around all 3* guys. That is what Kentucky and Vanderbilt's classes have been built around for years.

He's not assuming anything. He's basing what he said off of what the OP said, which is that classes based of 3* character laden guys is what VT does and that it clearly works. He didn't say squat about July or anything. He specifically said he'd take that over 4* and 5* dreams. What the heck are you talking about?

Hardy's comments are dead on the money, whether you like the message or not.

VA TECH is more of a Regional school, thats why they get the 20 3 stars, 5 4 star players, they struggle to lock up the best players in the state of Va year in and year out. Tennessee should be pulling in top 10 classess every year no excusses with the amount of money they put into recruiting.

So now the best Tennessee can hope for is occasionally beat a "big dog"?

Awesome

With these past two recruiting classes, I'd taking beating just one big dog in the near future. This is a depth building class, plain and simple people. We will sign some 4-5* skill position players, maybe a 4* DT and then the rest are going to be 3-4* OL/DL/LB/DB

Like it or not.... 3 different Head Coaches in 3 years, bad production and we have the new limits on the number of kids we can sign each year. We cannot keep loosing 4-5 players each year. Signing the players with baggage the last few years just because they are 4-5* has killed our depth chart, because half of them are not here. I look for next years class to be better this one will be what we need.GBO

Found this interesting. The following are the average recruiting rankings for some of the SEC teams from 2002-2010.

The first number represents the actual average for the period. The second represents the average after eliminating a team's worst ranking of all years in the period.

UA: 15.5 / 11.4
UF: 7.0 / 5.4
LSU: 7.8 / 6.0
UGA: 7.3 / 6.4
UT: 12.7 / 10.0

If I understand correctly, the difference between being ranked 10th and 5th can be as small as signing three more 4*s vs 3*s. Doesn't matter that a 3* is a Palardy or Darr, the 4* counts as more. Doesn't matter if the school needs 2 OGs and a Center and there's only 17 total 4* recruits at those two positions. Doesn't matter that a 4* recruit (e.g., Ethan Hutson) has been evaluated and passed on by major programs, he carries more weight in the rankings than a 3* OT (Kerbyson) with offers from UT, UF, UA, USC, etc.

The point is there is much ado about the general rankings and number of stars. However, unless the recruits are properly evaluated, roster needs are met AND players developed, UT could average Top-10 classes every year. But not be a strong and consistent contender for the SEC championship for several years.

VN Store

Back