This is a 9-3 Schedule

We as fans need to be happy with a 6-6 and stop thinking we are gonna beat the Florida's the Georgia's and bamas. This year I can easily see us losing to Kentucky now. They truly have a good offense this year unlike the past 10 years. I don't care when they were ranked top 10 several years ago that offense is no were as good as what they have now. But Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, bama, Ole Miss are all losses for sure. The rest are winnable or toss ups.

Reactions: spencer1989
So you're saying that you are aware of the all our opponents scouting reports?
Or, are you just going by ESPN preseason rankings?

Please tell us why Kentucky is better.
Mizzou?
Ole Miss?
Pitt panthers lol? Please share your knowledge about all of those "superior" teams :)

Still say my prediction is crazy? You laughed when I said we would lose to Pitt. Still think Old Miss and Mizzou will lose to us? We threw 21 points of guaranteed touchdowns about 10 yard over the heads of the open receivers in the early first half on Saturday. I would have gladly eaten my words but this typical hype I've seen year after year for my whole life and on game day we look like a high school team. My prediction remains at 5-7......6-6 at very best.

Last edited:
I’m a little more optimistic. I see us starting 3-0 (though Pitt might be a challenge), beat So Alabama, and get 2 from MO SC KY and VU. So 6-6 I hope.

Several have called me crazy for saying 5-7 this year.....But maybe after Saturday, it will seem more realistic to others instead of a fantasy 9-3 season (in those that were saying it) But to your point.....I would like to see 6-6.

Reactions: rdk4121
Several have called me crazy for saying 5-7 this year.....But maybe after Saturday, it will seem more realistic to others instead of a fantasy 9-3 season (in those that were saying it) But to your point.....I would like to see 6-6.

Take a chill pill, the back end of the schedule is tailored made for a 4-5 game run.

Reactions: bpalmer28
We as fans need to be happy with a 6-6 and stop thinking we are gonna beat the Florida's the Georgia's and bamas.
Simply put... NO. What you are proposing is that we write the likes of Mizzou and UK off when they have less talent. We shouldn't have written Pitt off. They won playing their best game against a more talented team that played FAR from its best game. If UT plays close to its best game then MU and UK are wins. USCe is a win. Ole Miss and UF are still unlikely but are on the board. I've seen no one suggest UT can beat Bama or UGA this year... but UF isn't in that class of opponent.

This year I can easily see us losing to Kentucky now.
Why because they ran the score up on a pansy then beat another team with a roster less talented than UT's? Writing either of those games off is NOT "being realistic".

They truly have a good offense this year unlike the past 10 years. I don't care when they were ranked top 10 several years ago that offense is no were as good as what they have now. But Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, bama, Ole Miss are all losses for sure. The rest are winnable or toss ups.
LOL... No. Those aren't "losses for sure". UT has to get better... fortunately young teams often take bigger steps than experienced teams.

Ole Miss beat APSU... and allowed over 400 yards against them. L'ville looked like a good win but EKU held them to about the same rush yds and 84 more passing yds in a game that was competitive until a late 2nd qtr score. I thought highly of Ole Miss coming in but am reevaluating that a little now.

UK ran over MU... but I've been telling you guys for awhile that MU has some big talent gaps due to Odom. MU was able to shut their passing game down.

Reactions: bpalmer28
5-7 was... and is as unrealistic as 9-3

Reactions: Volbrando
My 6-6 may have gone out the window losing to Pitt. We’ll get TT and So AL. Probably Vandy too. That’s four. SC should be a win. I watched KY vs Mizzo and I don’t see us beating either of them.
Getting better than 5-7 is going to be rough now.

I believe that Georgia and Alabama will win against us this year. I don’t believe there are any guaranteed losses in the other games until the final whistle.

My 6-6 may have gone out the window losing to Pitt. We’ll get TT and So AL. Probably Vandy too. That’s four. SC should be a win. I watched KY vs Mizzo and I don’t see us beating either of them.
Getting better than 5-7 is going to be rough now.

We have time to get better so ky and mizz still have to show up and play hard to get the victory.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Simply put... NO. What you are proposing is that we write the likes of Mizzou and UK off when they have less talent. We shouldn't have written Pitt off. They won playing their best game against a more talented team that played FAR from its best game. If UT plays close to its best game then MU and UK are wins. USCe is a win. Ole Miss and UF are still unlikely but are on the board. I've seen no one suggest UT can beat Bama or UGA this year... but UF isn't in that class of opponent.

Why because they ran the score up on a pansy then beat another team with a roster less talented than UT's? Writing either of those games off is NOT "being realistic".

LOL... No. Those aren't "losses for sure". UT has to get better... fortunately young teams often take bigger steps than experienced teams.

Ole Miss beat APSU... and allowed over 400 yards against them. L'ville looked like a good win but EKU held them to about the same rush yds and 84 more passing yds in a game that was competitive until a late 2nd qtr score. I thought highly of Ole Miss coming in but am reevaluating that a little now.

UK ran over MU... but I've been telling you guys for awhile that MU has some big talent gaps due to Odom. MU was able to shut their passing game down.
Just because we have better talent doesn't mean we will win the game nor mean that we should win the game. How many years of us losing to teams with less talent before you understand? Another 15?

This year is a wash, something to be endured. The real answers will come on the signing dates. If the next couple of classes are in the bottom third of the conference, Heupel won't survive. We'll return to the bargain basement of coaches and make another mediocrity rich.

could be a 9-3 season if everything went our way....maybe i suppose.
not with milton playing any meaningful snaps tho.

Last edited:
Take a chill pill, the back end of the schedule is tailored made for a 4-5 game run.

No chill pill needed. Just realistic as I have always been after all these years.......Because no matter how good a team is, the game still has to be played on the field and ANY team can win given their desire to win under the right conditions. I still stand by my prediction for this year with improvement next year. We do not have the depth this year to compete with the SEC teams.

Just because we have better talent doesn't mean we will win the game nor mean that we should win the game.
If you have better talent and you have competent coaching then you should win the game. UT had chances early to put it away in the 1st half. How many deep balls did Milton miss? Would he have been pulled if he hadn't gotten hurt? I like Heupel. I like the staff. I completely understand the infatuation with Milton's physical talent and practice performance. But if he chokes under the bright lights then you replace him rather than letting the whole team suffer. I do not know how long that leash is but for Heupel's sake it better not be very long.

How many missed opportunities were there? How many penalties? Turnovers? These are all indications of execution and execution is a direct function of coaching.

I want this staff to be successful more than anything. But the team they fielded on Saturday was good enough not only to beat Pitt but to beat them by multiple scores. They MUST coach better.

How many years of us losing to teams with less talent before you understand? Another 15?
Understand just fine. One coach for one year in all that time performed up to the level of the talent on their roster. Kiffin. Dooley was probably second. His teams weren't talented/experienced. The bigger problem with him is that he didn't put the effort into recruiting necessary to build a winning program at UT.

Jones just wasn't a very good coach. He thought he was. He thought he was going to revolutionize football in the SEC with his "brilliance". He underperformed the roster in each of his 5 seasons.

Pruitt was a terrible leader. I actually think he knows the game and how to teach it. In military terms, he's a good trainer and tactician... but an incompetent strategist. There is a reason that sergeants do what they do and don't try to become generals. It is rare that someone can be great at both. Pruitt is "good" at one... and has no business trying to do the other.

If you have more talent then you SHOULD win. There are times the ball bounces the wrong way. Experience does matter. But the biggest portion of what makes that difference is coaching and leadership.

I am very pleased that this team didn't quit. They kept coming back over and over. They kept fighting even while making mistakes. Inexperience hurt them a few times. But the biggest factor was coaching and coaching decisions.

Again, I "like" Heupel and would be an advocate for giving him a chance even if I didn't. But this was not a good loss... it was not a loss that UT should have had.

Reactions: BeardedVol
If you have better talent and you have competent coaching then you should win the game. UT had chances early to put it away in the 1st half. How many deep balls did Milton miss? Would he have been pulled if he hadn't gotten hurt? I like Heupel. I like the staff. I completely understand the infatuation with Milton's physical talent and practice performance. But if he chokes under the bright lights then you replace him rather than letting the whole team suffer. I do not know how long that leash is but for Heupel's sake it better not be very long.

How many missed opportunities were there? How many penalties? Turnovers? These are all indications of execution and execution is a direct function of coaching.

I want this staff to be successful more than anything. But the team they fielded on Saturday was good enough not only to beat Pitt but to beat them by multiple scores. They MUST coach better.

Understand just fine. One coach for one year in all that time performed up to the level of the talent on their roster. Kiffin. Dooley was probably second. His teams weren't talented/experienced. The bigger problem with him is that he didn't put the effort into recruiting necessary to build a winning program at UT.

Jones just wasn't a very good coach. He thought he was. He thought he was going to revolutionize football in the SEC with his "brilliance". He underperformed the roster in each of his 5 seasons.

Pruitt was a terrible leader. I actually think he knows the game and how to teach it. In military terms, he's a good trainer and tactician... but an incompetent strategist. There is a reason that sergeants do what they do and don't try to become generals. It is rare that someone can be great at both. Pruitt is "good" at one... and has no business trying to do the other.

If you have more talent then you SHOULD win. There are times the ball bounces the wrong way. Experience does matter. But the biggest portion of what makes that difference is coaching and leadership.

I am very pleased that this team didn't quit. They kept coming back over and over. They kept fighting even while making mistakes. Inexperience hurt them a few times. But the biggest factor was coaching and coaching decisions.

Again, I "like" Heupel and would be an advocate for giving him a chance even if I didn't. But this was not a good loss... it was not a loss that UT should have had.
Jones was our best coach since Fulmer. CJH could be but we don't know yet. But like I've been saying Vols have talent but we have lost plenty of games where we had more talent than other teams. Until that cycle breaks and it's consistent we shouldn't believe we are a good program nor going to beat good teams. Right now the fact is we're are a middle teir team heading to the bottom next to vandy.

Jones was our best coach since Fulmer.
No. He squandered the best opportunity UT has had at getting back to relevance precisely because he wasn't a good coach. You could say he recruited well but even that has a caveat. He had a bunch of legacies and great instate talent who were homers like Hurd fall in his lap.... and STILL managed to screw it up.

He was a classic empty suit... a used car salesman that had nothing when you actually looked under the hood.

Everything from his ridiculous ideas on player development and S&C to his "system" that was going to change the SEC to his "sleep" science to his AWFUL mismanagement of games to mismanagement of players to poor leadership to cliches in the place of real substance... the guy was completely out of his class.

His true recruiting "prowess" was shown over the last 3 years and how he set Pruitt up. Pruitt didn't help himself but he did inherit JG and a team that lacked speed.

CJH could be but we don't know yet. But like I've been saying Vols have talent but we have lost plenty of games where we had more talent than other teams. Until that cycle breaks and it's consistent we shouldn't believe we are a good program nor going to beat good teams. Right now the fact is we're are a middle teir team heading to the bottom next to vandy.
But the expectation that a coach get results equal to or greater than the sum of his roster cannot change. What UT has done previously is not baggage for Heupel. He writes his own history. The standard however cannot change. He's now "minus one"... he's got to make that up.

Last edited:
No. He squandered the best opportunity UT has had at getting back to relevance precisely because he wasn't a good coach. You could say he recruited well but even that has a caveat. He had a bunch of legacies and great instate talent who were homers like Hurd fall in his lap.... and STILL managed to screw it up.

He was a classic empty suit... a used car salesman that had nothing when you actually looked under the hood.

Everything from his ridiculous ideas on player development and S&C to his "system" that was going to change the SEC to his "sleep" science to his AWFUL mismanagement of games to mismanagement of players to poor leadership to cliches in the place of real substance... the guy was completely out of his class.

His true recruiting "prowess" was shown over the last 3 years and how he set Pruitt up. Pruitt didn't help himself but he did inherit JG and a team that lacked speed.

But the expectation that a coach get results equal to or greater than the sum of his roster cannot change. What UT has done previously is not baggage for Heupel. He writes his own history. The standard however cannot change. He's now "minus one"... he's got to make that up.
Did you just say the that coach Butch Jones who has the best record since Fulmer hasn't been our best coach since Fulmer? Lol I'm not saying I want him back or that he is a the best coach out their by any means but he literally has the best record at our school since Fulmer. Yes he pissed away a couple good seasons that would have gotten us to the SEC championship game not disagreeing with that but since Fulmer so far he is the best we have had until CJH proves otherwise.

VN Store

Back