This is a 9-3 Schedule

Do you hate your own dog too? You are truly a beacon of negativity. What did you did when Tennessee was actually good? Probably complain about 11 win seasons if I was guessing.

Oh good grief, because I said a VERY like thing will happen?

I'm just fine and not negative at all. You're the one that will be hanging yourself from your ceiling fan when the Vols dont win at least 9 games.

Oh good grief, because I said a VERY like thing will happen?

I'm just fine and not negative at all. You're the one that will be hanging yourself from your ceiling fan when the Vols dont win at least 9 games.
You are one of the most negative people on this board. He was right to call you out.

p.s. None of your four predictions are "very likely to happen."

I am very confident in a successful season based on the schedule alone, however 9 wins is a stretch. To me, Ole Miss and Missouri are toss ups. 8-4 is more likely or 7-5 with a slip up against Kentucky or Pitt.

I dont see Ole Miss as a toss up. Kiffin will come into Knoxville and flat out embarrass us. I can see that coming 10 miles away. Missouri is definitely a toss up.

Your crazy as if you think we only gonna win 1 SEC game. I see 8-4 a real possibility. We not losing to Kentucky this year nor Missouri, and USC. We will give Florida and Ole Miss all the want and possiblyo win those. The only 2 longs shots I see on this schedule is Bama and UGA. And Bama has always had trouble with the spread up tempo offense.

Bama scheduled us for Homecoming. They are going to bend is over and give it to us dry. And speaking of Homecoming, who thought it was a good idea to schedule UGA? I think 6 wins is a good ceiling.

This would've been a 9-3 schedule in a typical Phillip Fulmer year. However all things considered, this is probably a 6-6 or at best a 7-5 schedule.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
No. Last year's record was 3-7 in an all conference schedule. If UT were to go 5-7 in 2021 with a 1-7 or 2-6 conference record, it would not be better.

No matter how much you want them to be, OOC games will never be equal to conference games. You don't get to Atlanta by beating the likes of Bowling Green and losing to Kentucky.

I guess Georgia Southern was a conference game two years ago? All the wins count towards that required 6-6 needed bowl record.....Conference or no conference game (with the exception of last year). I'm slightly old enough to understand conference games, the significance, and how critical they are. And I understand how low this program has fallen. Before you get the cart in front of the horse, this coaching staff and team has a lot to prove and games must be played on the field on game day. One point we seem to forget, the SEC teams are good enough to make adjustments for us and our offense before game time.....So let's see what we do during those games. The flash and dash can be stopped pretty quickly with a good defense. IF we played the games through the media hype, we would win the NC every year. If you think the all non-conference games are a cakewalk, I have news for you.....They are not. One of us will be wrong and hopefully I am. But....I've seen all the hype for years and years and followed and supported this program all my life. The last 15 years has been a disaster and one or two major injuries this year could devastate the entire season. I will wait and see because I've seen disappointment year after year after year. If you don't get what I mean, take a look at the program's record since 1955 and tell me how many 9-3 seasons we have had or undefeated seasons.

Last edited:
I guess Georgia Southern was a conference game two years ago? All the wins count towards that required 6-6 needed bowl record.....Conference or no conference game (with the exception of last year). I'm slightly old enough to understand conference games, the significance, and how critical they are. And I understand how low this program has fallen. Before you get the cart in front of the horse, this coaching staff and team has a lot to prove and games must be played on the field on game day. One point we seem to forget, the SEC teams are good enough to make adjustments for us and our offense before game dame.....So let's see what we do during those games. The flash and dash can be stopped pretty quickly with a good defense. IF we played the games through the media hype, we would win the NC every year. If you think the all non-conference games are a cakewalk, I have news for you.....They are not. One of us will be wrong and hopefully I am. But....I've seen all the hype for years and years and followed and supported this program all my life. The last 15 years has been a disaster and one or two major injuries this year could devastate the entire season. I will wait and see because I've seen disappointment year after year after year. If you don't get what I mean, take a look at the program's record since 1955 and tell me how many 9-3 seasons we have had or undefeated seasons.

Lol...so, if your proposition is correct and all games are equal, as long as the current coach at UT wins the 4 OOC games and goes 2-6 in conference play to get to one of the glorified scrimmages that are non-CFP bowl games, that in your eyes is a successful season?

I guess Georgia Southern was a conference game two years ago? All the wins count towards that required 6-6 needed bowl record.....Conference or no conference game (with the exception of last year). I'm slightly old enough to understand conference games, the significance, and how critical they are. And I understand how low this program has fallen. Before you get the cart in front of the horse, this coaching staff and team has a lot to prove and games must be played on the field on game day. One point we seem to forget, the SEC teams are good enough to make adjustments for us and our offense before game time.....So let's see what we do during those games. The flash and dash can be stopped pretty quickly with a good defense. IF we played the games through the media hype, we would win the NC every year. If you think the all non-conference games are a cakewalk, I have news for you.....They are not. One of us will be wrong and hopefully I am. But....I've seen all the hype for years and years and followed and supported this program all my life. The last 15 years has been a disaster and one or two major injuries this year could devastate the entire season. I will wait and see because I've seen disappointment year after year after year. If you don't get what I mean, take a look at the program's record since 1955 and tell me how many 9-3 seasons we have had or undefeated seasons.

We did NOT play Georgia Southern. Do you mean Georgia State?

Lol...so, if your proposition is correct and all games are equal, as long as the current coach at UT wins the 4 OOC games and goes 2-6 in conference play to get to one of the glorified scrimmages that are non-CFP bowl games, that in your eyes is a successful season?

6-6 and a bowl game this year is a successful "beginning" to Heupel's coaching career but I don't think fans will be doing backflips over it. Successes can be measured in more than just wins like extra bowl game practices, getting recruiting back on track, stabilizing the program, establishing a better culture, building more quality depth, etc. Yes, ultimately it will come down to wins and losses but things were a mess with no AD, investigation, transfers, terrible culture...a lot of bad stuff going on. So yes, 6-6 and seeing the program headed in upwards trajectory (and better than the previous two coaches) would be a successful beginning.

6-6 and a bowl game this year is a successful "beginning" to Heupel's coaching career but I don't think fans will be doing backflips over it. Successes can be measured in more than just wins like extra bowl game practices, getting recruiting back on track, stabilizing the program, establishing a better culture, building more quality depth, etc. Yes, ultimately it will come down to wins and losses but things were a mess with no AD, investigation, transfers, terrible culture...a lot of bad stuff going on. So yes, 6-6 and seeing the program headed in upwards trajectory (and better than the previous two coaches) would be a successful beginning.

So as long as UT makes it to a meaningless bowl game every season, having a losing conference record year in and year out, doesn't matter?

So as long as UT makes it to a meaningless bowl game every season, having a losing conference record year in and year out, doesn't matter?

Good grief...you read none of my post and I am convinced you get on this message board solely to argue. Either that or you have serious reading comprehension issues.

Last edited:

I will be happy if they know how to run the offense and defense successfully, which will be a significant improvement over previous regimes.

Good grief...you read none of my post and I am convinced you get on this message board solely to argue.

See that's one of the myriad of differences between a person like you, and a person like me: I can examine the overall situation with UT's football program at the moment, and accept 6-6 with a 2-6 SEC record as an acceptable outcome in Heupel's first season, without trying to redefine what is a 'successful season' for a member of the SEC.

You on the other hand, feel the need to lower the bar as much as possible, so that Heupel cannot "fail" in his first season, because you've redefined 'successful' in a way that makes it impossible to do so.

See that's one of the myriad of differences between a person like you, and a person like me: I can examine the overall situation with UT's football program at the moment, and accept 6-6 with a 2-6 SEC record as an acceptable outcome in Heupel's first season, without trying to redefine what is a 'successful season' for a member of the SEC.

You on the other hand, feel the need to lower the bar as much as possible, so that Heupel cannot "fail" in his first season, because you've redefined 'successful' in a way that makes it impossible to do so.

BeardedVol deriding a 6-6 record being considered successful:

BeardedVol extolling virtue of 6-6 season
I can examine the overall situation with UT's football program at the moment, and accept 6-6 with a 2-6 SEC record as an acceptable outcome in Heupel's first season

What OVERALL situation? Like these things that I already mentioned?

FBtime:
<snip>...things were a mess with no AD, investigation, transfers, terrible culture...a lot of bad stuff going on.

BeardedVol

Not true...5-7 would NOT be acceptable. Honestly you should stop while you're behind.

1. New Head Coach and new system that nobody knows
2. Anybody who was worth anything on defense is gone
3. We have no clue who our QB will be
4. We are Tennessee

Predictions:
1. We wont win any road games
2. We will be 2-2 to begin the season
3. Our D will be torched by everyone

Stretch Prediction: We lose the home opener

We wont win more than 5 games in year 1
Oh please 🙄

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
BeardedVol deriding a 6-6 record being considered successful:

BeardedVol extolling virtue of 6-6 season

What OVERALL situation? Like these things that I already mentioned?

FBtime:

BeardedVol

Not true...5-7 would NOT be acceptable. Honestly you should stop while you're behind.

You're still trying to use 'successful' and 'acceptable' interchangeably; those two words are not synonyms .

Having a 2-6 SEC record in his first reason may be acceptable for Heupel given the state of the program, but it will still never amount to a successful season regardless of winning all of the OOC games or not.

The current state of the program does not redefine what is a successful season.

We did NOT play Georgia Southern. Do you mean Georgia State?[/QUOTE

Correct. Just a typo of mine. My typo had it messed up with that other Georgia high school team ((Sarcasm intended) that could have also beat us that year))!! LOL I guess I'm still mad at losing that game when I set there in Neyland watching the disaster unfold.

Last edited:

Not at all what I have said, stated, or typed and your are reading into my post what you want to read. I think you need to go back and re-read it a little more closely. You are saying TN will be 9-3 easily. I say not. I have stated the non-conference games are not cake walks and should not be assumed. I would personally treat every game as important as the other in order to get to your dream of 9-3. Pittsburgh is ranked what......41 or in the low 40's? And TN is in the upper 60's. Nothing is won or lost until game day and we can very easily lose games that should have been won just like last year. I assume nothing and will believe the song and dance when I see it. We may end up 6-6 and not 5-7 (as I predict).....But I highly doubt we go 9-3. Maybe later.....But not this year.

There was a lot of epic fails with Pruitt including the West Virginia game, Kentucky home game last year, etc. Just head-scratching losses that showed he wasn't ready for big-time.

Reactions: spencer1989
Or a 3-9 schedule. This team will struggle a lot and has even less depth than before. The roster is nowhere close to SEC caliber and has no depth. I'd prepare for the top teams in SEC to be 3-5 touchdowns better than the Vols and for the Vols to stuggle to compete for the bottom spots of the SEC for at least another season. Sorry, I hate it, but just reality.....

I’m afraid many seasoned Vol fans expect very little from this lowly rated and transfer portal depleted team

Because the SEC wants us playing in the coldest places in November and the Swamp in September.

Tennessee needs to get Auburn to complain about it.....seems like when they bitch alittle something happens. Strange how that worked with them wanted to move the Ga game away from Alabama. They complained and "I'll be a sob, if the game didnt get moved".

Another year of folks fighting about what our record will be. I am just ready to kick the season off and see where it takes us. Put me down as excited to see this season getting underway. 3-7 or 10-2 I will be back next year God willing ready to pull for the Vols again. At the end of the day all these pre-season predictions don't mean nothing, Let's get it on!!!!! GBO!!!!!

. I think we lose to Pitt and win the other three plus winning two SEC games gives us a 5-7 record which wouldn’t be horrible for Heupel in his first season considering the disaster he walked into. I think most of the experts are predicting 5-7 maybe 6-6 if we can pull a upset on Kentucky or Ole Miss or mizzou. 6-6 would be a excellent first year for Heapel
I agree with you, however, it’s such a sad time when it’s considered an upset while beating KY, OM, or Mizzou

VN Store

Back