This has got to stop [referees]

After UGA lost, the SEC was not going to let Bama and/or Florida be eliminated. They know they can only have Bama or LSU, but they require 2 playoff contenders to keep the $$$ rolling.

#5 for me also. I lean toward the conspiracy theory that SEC office wants highest rated teams to keep winning to maximize conference playoff/bowl $$$.

Also add #7 that it is human nature for Refs to make calls for the teams they believe are the better teams.

I think that this would go under #6, that they are horrible Refs... any Ref that doesn’t know what to call, so just gives credit on a play to the better team simply bc they are ranked higher, is a total dummy Ref and has no clue how to make a decent call. So although I like your idea, I think it could go under #6....[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously believe that everyone hasn’t gotten the short end of the stick with officials?

There used to be a running joke on Florida boards about the rankings for penalties per game and average yards penalized under Spurrier, Zook, and Urban at Florida compared to everywhere else they coached. You should see the numbers.

That South Carolina game that just was played, Florida got hosed the entire first half. I know. I know. The league office called and in the 2nd half, it got “fixed”.

When you get the short end of the stick, it sucks and I get it. But, this conspiracy stuff has gone too far. They’re just bad.

That said, we should demand better officiating (basketball too) for the league as it is bad most saturdays in a lot of league games.
No if they were just bad it would be both ways. Every single borderline call and every ridiculous call went against Tennessee the other night that's not bad that's bias.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
A couple? There will be enough to cost us the game. Period.
The mystery unnecessary roughness was a game changer. So was the mystery hold and the stoppage on the wildcat play. Those are the kinds of calls that make you ask if these assholes had money on the game.

The Alabama DL that was lined up half a body offiside on JG's bonehead play was a head scratcher, too. That's literally the easiest call in the book to make.

Just watched the game with every play in slow motion. Wow was there a lot to unfold.

**Bama got away with at least 3 very clear holding calls. Amazingly 2 of the 3 were on 3rd downs they converted.
**Bama got away with a clear pass interference on Jennings on the pass off his hands in the endzone.
**Bama got away with lining up offsides on the 4th and 1 JG fumble.
**Both Bama and Tennessee were called for holding on receivers once each that was suspect to say the least. Tennessee called in the endzone and Bama was called on a swing pass.
**Tennessee was called for holding on each of its first 3 redzone appearances. 1 was a made up call, 1 was questionable and happened out in front of the play and had no bearing on the result of the play and the last 1 was legit.
**Tennessee got away with 1 clear hold.
**Morris was called for holding on a TD run by Jennings out of the wildcat. On this play Morris never comes close to holding. He drove his guy straight back about 5 yards then disengaged the block. Also, Jennings was clearly in for a TD however he was spotted out at the 1. Odd here is 64 and 9 neither sound or look anything alike and ESPN tried to convince the audience with 1 poor replay the hold was on 9 and the refs made a mistake with the Jersey number. Never saw 9 hold either.
**Still have no clue why the refs stopped the game when we had the ball in the redzone lining up in wildcat and ready to snap the ball.
**Still dont see how Taylor is called for a personal foul on Jones. Odd here is after Griese was adamant that was not roughing the guy they have as an official to get his opinion disagreed. This is an ongoing theme with the announcers in this game to disagree about calls.
**Bama ran a conpleted out route for about 7 yards before their FG attempt. Only 1 second ran off the clock and was never addressed by the officials although 3 timeouts followed the play. I guess no one cared.
**Butuli was ejected for targeting and by rule it was the correct call. What is odd here is first off there is no penalty called for targeting and both announcers call it a clean hit even upon reviewing the play which also amazingly enough was reviewed 3 times on TV before the ref said the play was under review to see if the receiver had scored? Wait what? He was easily short of the goalline. Once the review began the announcers changed their opinion to it was targeting. After review the ref said the play was reviewed for targeting and it was confirmed. I'm confused on how you confirm a penalty that wasn't called on a play that was announced to be reviewed for a different reason. But hey on this one they did get the call correct in the end. Just pure incompetence in getting there.
**After a delay of game while the ref is making the call another ref gets his attention and says timeout was called by Bama. Odd here is that there was no replay to show any player or coach calling a timeout before the delay of game.
**Bama has a no call for delay of game with late snap.
**Tennessee was flagged for 3 different penalties on one 1 play.
**Bama was called for 2 penalties on one play.
**Jennings catches a pass, takes 2 to 3 steps and is stripped. Tennessee recovers and it should be 3rd and 5. Play is reviewed, booth initiated, and the call on the field is overruled creating a 3rd and 10 for the Vols that lead to a punt.
** Maurer takes a cheap shot from Lee and 2 flags are thrown. Targeting is the call on the field. This is so stupid it pisses me off. The refs should call personal foul unnecessary roughness here and never targeting. Why? Well targeting can be booth initiated for review and even if the refs called something different the call can be changed. However, if targeting is the original call it cannot be changed to a personal foul because the booth cannot call something not called on the field other than targeting. We've seen this several times already this year in college football and its appalling to have officials still doing this wrong. Just a disgrace that this hit had no penalty. The blitzing linebacker saw the pass and came to a complete stop and still shoved Maurer down to the ground.

In this game there were bad calls, bad no calls, 3 reviews against Tennessee that were all initiated from the replay booth, a clock error, a mysterious play stoppage from an official, multiple errors in announcements from the head umpire, a lot of disagreements from the guys calling the game and as always a few questionable spots when marking the ball down. Wow just wow.

Seriously it is exhausting to rewatch this game and put all of this into a single post.
Honestly at this point I just hope its therapeutic for me to just write this all out and move on.

If you read all of this I'm so sorry.

The alerts went off at SEC HQ in Birmingham...ok fellers, we've got some red alerts on potential wreckers of our playoff teams...shut it down.

Everyone knows the " elite" teams get the calls and are protected by the officials. We need to get back to being one of the " elite" teams and everything will be fine. After watching the progress this team has made from week 1, I feel pretty good about our chances of getting there in the next several years.
That doesn’t make it fine. It’s about the game not about advantage from officials. It was so obvious Saturday night it made me think where we’ve come in society to brush off injustice. It sickened me as a fan and UT faithful since 1964. I won’t look at this game the same ever. It really isn’t worth the time or money. It’s about the same a WWE. It’s just a show with a lot of dancing bears that talk out of their arse and expect fans to forget about what they saw. Thanks to ESPN and corrupt SEC the game is now a shame. Joke

After UGA lost, the SEC was not going to let Bama and/or Florida be eliminated. They know they can only have Bama or LSU, but they require 2 playoff contenders to keep the $$$ rolling.
The NCAA knows what a game between Bama and Oklahoma would be with hype/money considering Hurts transferred. They're drooling over this matchup.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Just watched the game with every play in slow motion. Wow was there a lot to unfold.

**Bama got away with at least 3 very clear holding calls. Amazingly 2 of the 3 were on 3rd downs they converted.
**Bama got away with a clear pass interference on Jennings on the pass off his hands in the endzone.
**Both Bama and Tennessee were called for holding on receivers once each that was suspect to say the least. Tennessee called in the endzone and Bama was called on a swing pass.
**Tennessee was called for holding on each of its first 3 redzone appearances. 1 was a made up call, 1 was questionable and happened out in front of the play and had no bearing on the result of the play and the last 1 was legit.
**Morris was called for holding on a TD run by Jennings out of the wildcat. On this play Morris never comes close to holding. He drove his guy straight back about 5 yards then disengaged the block. Also, Jennings was clearly in for a TD however he was spotted out at the 1. Odd here is 64 and 9 neither sound or look anything alike and ESPN tried to convince the audience with 1 poor replay the hold was on 9 and the refs made a mistake with the Jersey number. Never saw 9 hold either.
**Still have no clue why the refs stopped the game when we had the ball in the redzone lining up in wildcat and ready to snap the ball.
**Still dont see how Taylor is called for a personal foul on Jones. Odd here is after Griese was adamant that was not roughing the guy they have as an official to get his opinion disagreed. This is an ongoing theme with the announcers in this game to disagree about calls.
**Bama ran a conpleted out route for about 7 yards before their FG attempt. Only 1 second ran off the clock and was never addressed by the officials although 3 timeouts followed the play. I guess no one cared.
**Butuli was ejected for targeting and by rule it was the correct call. What is odd here is first off there is no penalty called for targeting and both announcers call it a clean hit even upon reviewing the play which also amazingly enough was reviewed 3 times on TV before the ref said the play was under review to see if the receiver had scored? Wait what? He was easily short of the goalline. Once the review began the announcers changed their opinion to it was targeting. After review the ref said the play was reviewed for targeting and it was confirmed. I'm confused on how you confirm a penalty that wasn't called on a play that was announced to be reviewed for a different reason. But hey on this one they did get the call correct in the end. Just pure incompetence in getting there.
**After a delay of game while the ref is making the call another ref gets his attention and says timeout was called by Bama. Odd here is that there was no replay to show any player or coach calling a timeout before the delay of game.
**Jennings catches a pass, takes 2 to 3 steps and is stripped. Tennessee recovers and it should be 3rd and 5. Play is reviewed, booth initiated, and the call on the field is overruled creating a 3rd and 10 for the Vols that lead to a punt.
** Maurer takes a cheap shot from Lee and 2 flags are thrown. Targeting is the call on the field. This is so stupid it pisses me off. The refs should call personal foul unnecessary roughness here and never targeting. Why? Well targeting can be booth initiated for review and even if the refs called something different the call can be changed. However, if targeting is the original call it cannot be changed to a personal foul because the booth cannot call something not called on the field other than targeting. We've seen this several times already this year in college football and its appalling to have officials still doing this wrong. Just a disgrace that this hit had no penalty. The blitzing linebacker saw the pass and came to a complete stop and still shoved Maurer down to the ground.

In this game there were bad calls, bad no calls, 3 reviews against Tennessee that were all initiated from the replay booth, a clock error, a mysterious play stoppage from an official, multiple errors in announcements from the head umpire, a lot of disagreements from the guys calling the game and as always a few questionable spots when marking the ball down. Wow just wow.

Seriously it is exhausting to rewatch this game and put all of this into a single post.
Honestly at this point I just hope its therapeutic for me to just write this all out and move on.

Boom. Excellent work here and great rundown. It probably won’t get its due, especially to the UF, Bama, and UGA fans on here who are perfectly fine with the officiating and thinks everybody gets screwed equally.

Something is rotten and not a single media personality seems to care. As long as the money rolls, they get the matchups they want, and personal narratives are met then it will be radio silence and complacency from the peanut gallery. The SEC front office thinks the officials did a fine job and doesn’t think public accountability should be a thing.

The real question for Saturday is who will the refs choose to hose this weekend? Us or y'all? This weekend's officiating was the worst I have ever seen.

#5 for me also. I lean toward the conspiracy theory that SEC office wants highest rated teams to keep winning to maximize conference playoff/bowl $$$.

Also add #7 that it is human nature for Refs to make calls for the teams they believe are the better teams.

If I could be head of SEC Officials .. I would instruct all Officials to only call Holding, PI, personal fouls, etc. if it is blatant enough that even the other coach admits it was a foul when he sees the replay. No more phantom calls that lead fans to believe the Refs are biased.
Yes just like the national polls, We have to have the same 4 or 5 in the top five every year. Favoritism exists sadly!

Want to get more pissed off about the officiating?

Ryan Hagan was the line judge during our game and made some of the more questionable calls at just the right time that benefited bama. He graduated from Samford but grew up in Birmingham. He has a relative that works in the SEC office named Sylvia Hagan Barnes who is the director of Officiating and Administration. She graduated from UAB, but the Hagan family are all Bama fans and some graduated from there. Ryan Hagan took down his facebook account either after the game or a couple of weeks prior (can't confirm). A fellow named Rod Gaddy is his brother and a huge Bama fan. Googling Rod Gaddy Birmingham will bring up some interesting images.

As for Steve Shaw (the Bama alumnus and SEC head of officiating), he already has one Bama alumnus working as one of his officials for SEC games (Umpire Brent Sowell) and just replaced another official that moved on with David Smith (a former Alabama Quarterback!) for the 2019 season. Smith is taking over a senior official spot in the SEC, and his referee spot on SEC crews is now Steve Marlowe, another Bama graduate that Shaw recommended. Now, these guys can't work Alabama games, but given the stupid and unfounded hate the Bammers have for Tenn and the no love lost for AU, how do you think they would call those games? There is no telling how many other bama fans are officials that didn't go to Alabama so they can work the Bama games per SEC rules.

The officials and SEC office in Birmingham is absolutely infested with Bammers. And even if there isn't impropriety going on, it looks really really bad, especially when paired against some of the calls made in our game.

Another interesting fact is Bama has never lost a game that Hubert Owens (lead official of our game) has worked. He lives in ATL and is a graduate of Miss Valley St.. It would be interesting to see what is family background is.

SEC POLICY OF HIDING GAME OFFICIAL IDENTITIES NEEDS FIXING - Sports by Brooks

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here.

SEC Office Staff
Sylvia Hagan Barnes, Director of Officiating and Administration

Hagan Barnes is promoted to Director of Officiating Administration after serving as Associate Director since 2001 and in various other capacities since joining the SEC staff in 1991. As Director of Officiating Administration, she is responsible for providing strategic planning, oversight and management of officiating administration... Hagan Barnes is a 1996 graduate of UAB.

Here's the list of officials in the bama game.
Referee: Hubert Owens
Umpire: Walt Hill
Linesman: Chad Green
Line judge: Ryan Hagan
Back judge: Martin Hankins
Field judge: Greg Thomas
Side judge: Mike Boshers
Center judge: Jason McArthur
Alternate: Jason McArthur

Yes these two are related and are lifelong bama fans. Hagan has little to no D1 ref experience, but got to ref the TSIO?

It's like the bama class of 1992 is running the whole conference.

Reactions: Tnslim1

Very, very good synopsis.

The info in these last two posts should be sent to the right people for some journalistic investigation. A hot steaming stink should be raised within the NCAA as this crap needs to stop NOW.

I'm impressed with your dedication to compiling that.

The three I bolded are the ones that tick me off beyond words. But oh well. Bama wins again.

VN Store

Back