This has been a good year

If a coach isn’t sick enough to be in the hospital it should affect his team’s performance way less than not having key players in the floor. That’s why your “start with googling coaches who have had COVID themselves” line is irrelevant. There are so many programs have had it worse than us... please try to argue this.... I’ll wait bc I’m sure it will entertain...

You can’t seem to follow along. I brought up COVID coupled with inexperience as significant factors in the current trend. Again, which coaches have had it and had their preseason preparations interrupted to a similar degree and which teams are as reliant on 1st and 2nd year players? Baylor and Gonzaga don’t mirror that criteria.

Reactions: ArdentVol
You can’t seem to follow along. I brought up COVID coupled with inexperience as significant factors in the current trend. Again, which coaches have had it and had their preseason preparations interrupted to a similar degree and which teams are as reliant on 1st and 2nd year players? Baylor and Gonzaga don’t mirror that criteria.

So you agree the current trend is down? Cause you are pulling COVID excuses out of your ass now...thank you for admitting it

I stand by my original narrative that the program is in an uptrend. There aren’t straight lines for the measurables. That is statistically impossible.

By your analysis every win is an uptrend and every loss is a downtrend. That’s bizarre.

I stand by my original narrative that the program is in an uptrend. There aren’t straight lines for the measurables. That is statistically impossible.

By your analysis every win is an uptrend and every loss is a downtrend. That’s bizarre.

And I stand by my statement that the tend is more upside down U shaped. And we are on the downward.

You’d have a better argument if you compared point A of Barnes era to point B today (a linear plot that you are so found of..). Our notable achievements (use that term lightly bc of only 1 SS) occurred in 17/18 and 18/19 season.

By your narrative Fulmer would have been considered trending up at the time of his firing (I am using your backward definition of trend).

I never said one loss is a trend or indicative of a teams direction, don’t be ignorant.

But you are entitled to your opinions, and if they are flawed they will be called out. Sorry

Where is the uptrend ? Nobody can see the uptrend that has watched the games.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
Where is the uptrend ? Nobody can see the uptrend that has watched the games.

I’m sure COVID had a little bit to do with this teams performance but I don’t think it was the main cause.

It’s obvious Fulky is slower and weaker around the basket. He can’t create his own shot anymore. A lot of it is injuries.

JJJ can be great player but he still seems to lack the aggressiveness to be a true competitor. With his size and length, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be driving to the rim more instead of settling for jump shots.

Springer & Johnson is are go to scorers. However, relying on freshman too much can create more pressure on them to score. That’s what we’re seeing here. Opposing teams are exposes our weaknesses, forcing our freshman to take over games.

Pons is a tremendous athlete but he does not need to be on the wing shooting 3 point shots. He needs to be more around the rim, use his athleticism to score around the basket, even if he gets fouled.

SV is what he is. He’s not a true PG, more of a spot up shooter when he sets his feet. This is why I emphasize that having a true PG changes the whole offense. Guard play wins big in the NCAA Tournament.

I understand there’s some posters who are angry and want to throw the blame on Barnes, but we were simply not as good as the media made us out to be. That’s ok, it’s college basketball where sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Yes, this season could have been better but if this is the worst we’re doing, then I say we’re up to schedule.

Let’s see how the NCAA tournament plays out before writing this team off completely.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Pons is not likely to ever be an NBA level player. He has no offense. He isn't a gifted ball handler. He doesn't rebound well. You can't sell yourself as a 6'6 shot blocker in the NBA. You have to have an elite skill otherwise. Draymond Green gets mentioned often in comparison. Green is an elite passer and rebounder, he averaged 16/11 his senior year at MSU. Pons averages 9/5 this year on a team that desperately needs someone to score and to rebound. Someone may take a second round flier on him and send him to the D-League and hope he learns to shoot. For his sake I hope it happens. The latest mock drafts actually are leaving Keon out. NBA Draft dot net has Springer at the end of the 1st, Pons towards the end of the second and no Keon at all.
Go look again. Keon is top 10 in ESPN and CBS. He's listed on nbadraft.net as the 34th pick.

I’m sure COVID had a little bit to do with this teams performance but I don’t think it was the main cause.

It’s obvious Fulky is slower and weaker around the basket. He can’t create his own shot anymore. A lot of it is injuries.

JJJ can be great player but he still seems to lack the aggressiveness to be a true competitor. With his size and length, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be driving to the rim more instead of settling for jump shots.

Springer & Johnson is are go to scorers. However, relying on freshman too much can create more pressure on them to score. That’s what we’re seeing here. Opposing teams are exposes our weaknesses, forcing our freshman to take over games.

Pons is a tremendous athlete but he does not need to be on the wing shooting 3 point shots. He needs to be more around the rim, use his athleticism to score around the basket, even if he gets fouled.

SV is what he is. He’s not a true PG, more of a spot up shooter when he sets his feet. This is why I emphasize that having a true PG changes the whole offense. Guard play wins big in the NCAA Tournament.

I understand there’s some posters who are angry and want to throw the blame on Barnes, but we were simply not as good as the media made us out to be. That’s ok, it’s college basketball where sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Yes, this season could have been better but if this is the worst we’re doing, then I say we’re up to schedule.

Let’s see how the NCAA tournament plays out before writing this team off completely.

It wasn't just the media, go check this place out after the first Missouri game. We had several saying they wish we could reschedule the Gonzaga game.

It wasn't just the media, go check this place out after the first Missouri game. We had several saying they wish we could reschedule the Gonzaga game.

Outside of the Kansas win, the road win at Missouri was arguably the best game we played all season.

Everything seemed to click with this team.

I’m not saying we would have beat Gonzaga but there was a lot of reasons to be optimistic at the time.

I understand everyone is in a bad mood, hell I’m not happy about it either but this team is who they are. They’re neither great nor bad, just a decent team that has issues to be resolved.

Come Tournament time, I’m still optimistic that we can make a deep run regardless of what the doom & gloom crowd says.

Outside of the Kansas win, the road win at Missouri was arguably the best game we played all season.

Everything seemed to click with this team.

I’m not saying we would have beat Gonzaga but there was a lot of reasons to be optimistic at the time.

I understand everyone is in a bad mood, hell I’m not happy about it either but this team is who they are. They’re neither great nor bad, just a decent team that has issues to be resolved.

Come Tournament time, I’m still optimistic that we can make a deep run regardless of what the doom & gloom crowd says.

If you are looking at the overall season then I agree. However, it is really a tale of 2 halves. 10-1 thru 11 and 6-6 thru the next 12. For the 2nd half of the year we have been bad.

Go look again. Keon is top 10 in ESPN and CBS. He's listed on nbadraft.net as the 34th pick.

Looking at it right now, it has Cameron Thomas from LSU at 34 on nbadraft.net. You're looking at the consensus mock draft which is generated by users filling out mock drafts and isn't their actual mock draft from the site.

VN Store

Back