This has been a good year

Thats the funny thing about Tennessee and 5*s, ours seem to suck (as in not be as good as projected) more than others.

Not really. People around here just want to lump every 5 star into the Zion Williamson category. An 18 year old kid coming in and dominating college basketball is super rare.

Josiah was barely a 5 star in what was considered one of the weakest classes in recent memory. Keon was considered raw offensively and Springer was considered a tweener. I'd say they have been fine and about as advertised if we are being honest.

Our inside post play and rim protection is sub par. The occasional block shot from Pons can make an ESPN highlight reel, but this team doesn't have that alpha dog or that enforcer inside that makes the opponent think. Barnes has recruited like crazy to get a Big time BIG, but until he does his teams will play well at times, but against length struggle.

Reactions: tmack50
As someone said in another thread, if Barnes has elevated the program to where being ranked from start to finish and getting a 6 seed or better is considered a “down year”, then we are in pretty good freaking hands.
Last year was the down year... this year has been an epic letdown

Losing in R32 definitely wouldn’t be what I would consider an “epic letdown”, lord get a grip.
Wasting 2 freshman 5 stars(one destined to be a lottery pick) and nice veteran support group is an epic letdown my man. Consider that after the first Mizzou game pundits were debating if we belonged in the conversation with Gonzaga and Baylor. This isn’t a “down year” it was supposed to “the year”....You should have higher expectations than this.

Reactions: walkenvol
Wasting 2 freshman 5 stars(one destined to be a lottery pick) and nice veteran support group is an epic letdown my man. Consider that after the first Mizzou game pundits were debating if we belonged in the conversation with Gonzaga and Baylor. This isn’t a “down year” it was supposed to “the year”....You should have higher expectations than this.
Never said my expectations weren’t higher, but there’s a middle ground of “epic letdown” and “meeting expectations”.

Reactions: Lurker
Never said my expectations weren’t higher, but there’s a middle ground of “epic letdown” and “meeting expectations”.
BT
BTO will have a full time job if he wants to police hyperbole on an internet message forum. Surely there are better uses for our time.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
So “disappointment” then? Whatever, we can argue semantics if you want to, but I am not happy with the season or the current trajectory

So “disappointment” then? Whatever, we can argue semantics if you want to, but I am not happy with the season or the current trajectory

Yes a 1st game loss would definitely be disappointing, I just see epic letdown like having such a bad year we miss the dance all together.

Hey y’all, have you heard we re #25? Awesome news huh? Definitely not swooning right now! All is well as long as we simply make the NCAA tourney (1st round bounces are totally acceptable). Our best recruiting class ever sure is being utilized and managed well! We sure are lucky to have Rick Barnes and could never wish for any improvements because that would be crazy!!!

As someone said in another thread, if Barnes has elevated the program to where being ranked from start to finish and getting a 6 seed or better is considered a “down year”, then we are in pretty good freaking hands.
Yep. I had a discussion with a UGA fan at my office this afternoon. He made a comment that Kirby had 2 more years to bring home a title or he'd be gone. I told him to check himself as it certainly could be worse. Reminded him of where UT is and has been for nearly 20 years. Said I'd take Kirby's level of "failure" right now and be one very happy fan. Barnes might not take us to a final 4, but I can remember many a year...well...most of them if I'm being honest...that I was simply hoping to make the NCAAT. Complaining about a 6 seed? Not this guy. These are some heady times in basketball for this old man.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
To be honest, the reason you feel like this is probably because we’re not used to 5 stars/1 and dones, but it seems like we’re getting another next year, so I think we don’t need to act like this is the only year we’ll have a shot to have a great team for the foreseeable future

VN Store

Back