This has always been a 5 year rebuild

The whole team played with better effort.

Pruitt’s recruits are the best players on the field.

This has always been a 5 year rebuild.

A negaVol like me shouldn’t have to talk you off the ledge. Give Pruitt more time.
I agree it's too soon to start talking about firing Pruitt. Our recent history of coaching searches is abysmal and nothing suggests we'll do a better job of it. The buyout would be big, and we'd just hire another google coach on the prayer they work out. UT is NOT going to spend big money to lure a big name. Not happening.

At this point, the rebuild needs to begin in earnest, and it's time to bench JG and play one of the younger QBs. Play as many young players as feasible and let them get experience. Why go into next year with players other than freshmen that have no game experience? Throw them into the fire now to hone them for next year. We're 0-2. What do we have to lose at this point?

Its mind bottling that there are so many Nimrods that think we would hire a proven winner ...if we could afford him and if he wanted to come here . Hell, many say Leach is a proven winner, Leach could get it done here, they would be happy with him AND he WANTED to come here. Repeat, He Wanted to come here.

Where Is He?????
Leach is the single most unconventional coach in cfb. Hiring him to UT would have been a disaster because there's no way he would fit into the conservative culture of UT and its boosters. People can argue the contrary all they want, but look at our history and you'll see the truth. It would not have worked.

I agree it's too soon to start talking about firing Pruitt. Our recent history of coaching searches is abysmal and nothing suggests we'll do a better job of it. The buyout would be big, and we'd just hire another google coach on the prayer they work out. UT is NOT going to spend big money to lure a big name. Not happening.

At this point, the rebuild needs to begin in earnest, and it's time to bench JG and play one of the younger QBs. Play as many young players as feasible and let them get experience. Why go into next year with players other than freshmen that have no game experience? Throw them into the fire now to hone them for next year. We're 0-2. What do we have to lose at this point?
I just cannot get my mind around the idea that the University of Tennessee would have a 2-10, or even 3-9, coach back the next year no matter how many dollars are involved. The fanbase is not growing. The state is half or more full of transients now. Very few people under 30 years of age have any recollection of our glory years. Every bad loss drives more and more long time fans away. If they want anybody to show up, don't they have to at least look like they're trying? I think BYU was a last gasp, fueled in no small part by the novelty of beer sales, of a fanbase that is just going to stop showing up until the wins happen.

Leach is the single most unconventional coach in cfb. Hiring him to UT would have been a disaster because there's no way he would fit into the conservative culture of UT and its boosters. People can argue the contrary all they want, but look at our history and you'll see the truth. It would not have worked.
The conservative culture of UTK? You got to be kidding?

I think people always thought it was a 5 year rebuild.

But, they thought it was a 5 year rebuild in order to become a champion/championship contender.

No one was thinking it was a 5 year rebuild in order to achieve respectability

Reactions: I40flyer
I just cannot get my mind around the idea that the University of Tennessee would have a 2-10, or even 3-9, coach back the next year no matter how many dollars are involved. The fanbase is not growing. The state is half or more full of transients now. Very few people under 30 years of age have any recollection of our glory years. Every bad loss drives more and more long time fans away. If they want anybody to show up, don't they have to at least look like they're trying? I think BYU was a last gasp, fueled in no small part by the novelty of beer sales, of a fanbase that is just going to stop showing up until the wins happen.
Part of the problem is the number of coaching changes we've made the past 10-15 years. This is not seen as a stable job. At some point, you have to settle on a coach, step back, and give them time. We are far beyond a one or two year fix because our admin has continuously failed to pursue the best options by offering to pony up the cash. Losing sucks and I desperately want to win, but a coaching change at this point will not change a damn thing IMO, and recent history supports that.

There is a reason your idiotic post only got a like from a rival team fan. You get the dumb post of the day award.

You know, I've seen some really dumb stuff today and for you to give my "idiotic" post the dumbest of the day award, I'm now really curious as to what you thought it meant. Please enlighten me.

Last edited:
How do you get worse than being 0-2 and losing to 2 Group 5 teams at our beloved Neyland stadium with a raucous crowd . Even though they suffered through losing to the # 126th rated team out of 130 last week.

Tell me how we can avoid getting worse by firing the current coach and reshuffling the deck? Who is going to coach Tennessee football and come to the rescue here? You seriously think more turmoil is how to fix what ails us? We can't win no matter what in the here and now. We need patience or we're always going to be in this never ending cycle.

Pretty sure someone stole JackBurton's account.

Haha, no it’s me. I just think we’ve dug our hole so deep instead of turning around we just have to dig to the other side. We may be halfway or further but it’s difficult to tell today.

I wasn’t excited about the Pruitt hire in the first place but his players are a level above what we’ve been bringing in previously. Now we just have to go youth movement which includes the QB. Recruits will see a lot of freshmen playing and unfortunately the record will reflect that. Unlikely we’ll see a bowl now but we’re selling playing time.

Haha, no it’s me. I just think we’ve dug our hole so deep instead of turning around we just have to dig to the other side. We may be halfway or further but it’s difficult to tell today.

I wasn’t excited about the Pruitt hire in the first place but his players are a level above what we’ve been bringing in previously. Now we just have to go youth movement which includes the QB. Recruits will see a lot of freshmen playing and unfortunately the record will reflect that. Unlikely we’ll see a bowl now but we’re selling playing time.
Fair enough. I understand that recruiting is a big part of the appeal of this staff. other than Chaney, it may be the only appeal. Let's suppose that this season plays out as most of us now expect it to, the current recruiting class falls apart, and next year we're a 5-6 win program. Would you be ready to abort the mission at that point, or just keep digging? I'm just trying to gauge who's ready to get a Pruitt tattoo versus who's got coaching change fatigue and might go a little longer with this staff than they might otherwise.

Fair enough. I understand that recruiting is a big part of the appeal of this staff. other than Chaney, it may be the only appeal. Let's suppose that this season plays out as most of us now expect it to, the current recruiting class falls apart, and next year we're a 5-6 win program. Would you be ready to abort the mission at that point, or just keep digging? I'm just trying to gauge who's ready to get a Pruitt tattoo versus who's got coaching change fatigue and might go a little longer with this staff than they might otherwise.

If recruiting doesn’t remain respectable then we have to make a change next year. How we define respectable is up for debate. If we can continue to land top 15 classes and develop those players I think we will be OK.

I would hope that we could maintain most of this current class because they can see opportunities to play early, but negative recruiting is going to be off the charts this season.

We need an unexpected win desperately.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I find it hilarious that all Tennessee coaches need 50 years to rebuild but Florida hires a guy and they have a good first season and are ranked and ready for an east run in year two.

I find it hilarious that all Tennessee coaches need 50 years to rebuild but Florida hires a guy and they have a good first season and are ranked and ready for an east run in year two.

Florida isn’t a fair comparison. Mullin was the OC at UF and knows the program inside out. UF never fell out as a solid SEC competitor.

Butch recreated UT as a MAC school. It needs a massive overhaul to return to anSEC level of play.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

This program is going NOWHERE without Egg Shen and a Six Demon Bag I can tell you that much right now.

Pork Chop Express baby

The difference in our rebuild vs the rebuilds that Urban did at UF and Saban did at Bama was the talent available.
Both teams had enough good depth of talent to help get out of the whole quicker.

We've had the unfortunate luxury of seeing 4 head coaches come in such a small window that has caused so much turnover and dissent. heck, look at what happened after week 1. Had 2 players already transfer out.
How can anyone compare our rebuild to those teams?
Sorry, but this is more of an extreme case scenario with Tennessee.
Gonna take much longer.

The whole team played with better effort.

Pruitt’s recruits are the best players on the field.

This has always been a 5 year rebuild.

A negaVol like me shouldn’t have to talk you off the ledge. Give Pruitt more time.

True and it hurts to keep waiting...but it's reality and I hate it! GBO!!!1

Florida isn’t a fair comparison. Mullin was the OC at UF and knows the program inside out. UF never fell out as a solid SEC competitor.

Butch recreated UT as a MAC school. It needs a massive overhaul to return to anSEC level of play.

Florida won 4 games in 2017, just like we did. Their recruiting in 2015-2017 was on par with ours too. They had to fire their coach just like we did except their coach was fired in season and made up bizarre stories about death threats. Mullen is Florida's 3rd head coach since 2014, Pruitt is our 3rd head coach since 2013. Florida kept the guy before Mullen on the job for 2 years and 10 months before running him out. Florida has had 2 4 win seasons and a 6 win season in their last 6 seasons. So in reality, Florida is more unstable than we are with coaching changes. Their recruiting is similar. They have had more 4 win seasons that we have the last few years, though we will tie them this season, yet they are light years ahead of us right now.

VN Store

Back