This fanbase doesn't get it

Says who? We opened as a 1-point dog and the line went up against us. Plus that accounts for the old 3-ish point home field advantage. You saying you're smarter than Vegas? Good luck.

Boy you sure live under the bottom of the privy. Careful of the poo piling up on your head.

I don't need to be anywhere near the bottom of the privy with all of the #@$% you are spewing.

I was just trying to see it with Orange colored glasses and find some reason to explain why at least 10k-17k fewer fans showed up to the Pitt game than previous years. Would it have better to say people didn't show up to watch Pitt because we were supposed to lose? Either way, the official attendance was 18-20k less than full capacity for our first game and our first real opponent. Call me whatever you want, but the numbers don't lie. Looking back, these numbers are even worse.

Year First game second game
2019 GA St. - 86k BYU - 93k
2018 neutral site ETSU - 96k
2017 neutral site Ind. St - 99k

Look guys, in all reality Heupel made some calls that we can disagree with but no way in hell should we be calling for his head. Yeah we have some flaws right now. He has been here 7 or 8 months. I have been outspoken on Milton, been very critical of that decision. It's a huge gamble. But we also see a lot, I mean a lot of good things. We should have won that game I agree. I would bet Heupel feels the same way. We have some talent, but lets not forget most of these guys a short time ago didnt look like they wanted to be here. Much less play together. Look at the defense, we know they don't have the horses outside of Baron, Jackson, Banks is ok but does some dumb stuff sometimes. We dont have Al Wilson's or Leonard Little out there. It is going to take some time. I also think if Hooker starts we win. So yes questioning some things is normal. Gotta let this staff get their feet wet too. Let's see how the season plays out, they might just might surprise us.

I don't need to be anywhere near the bottom of the privy with all of the #@$% you are spewing.

I was just trying to see it with Orange colored glasses and find some reason to explain why at least 10k-17k fewer fans showed up to the Pitt game than previous years. Would it have better to say people didn't show up to watch Pitt because we were supposed to lose? Either way, the official attendance was 18-20k less than full capacity for our first game and our first real opponent. Call me whatever you want, but the numbers don't lie. Looking back, these numbers are even worse.

Year First game second game
2019 GA St. - 86k BYU - 93k
2018 neutral site ETSU - 96k
2017 neutral site Ind. St - 99k
You literally said we were supposed to beat Pitt, which is an outright lie or ignorance.

I agree with the other 5, but those 2? Not sure I buy it. I definitely don't buy they are better than Ole Miss. Ole Miss would have boatraced them Saturday. No way Ole Miss misses those wide open bombs.
I think they're close to Ole Miss, and I think Pitt would hang on by being able to move it a heck of a lot more against the Ole Miss defense. OM whipped Louisville, who sucks real bad. But I still wouldn't say they'd beat them outright.

And I'd still take Pitt over Kentucky based on offensive experience and a better defense.

You literally said we were supposed to beat Pitt, which is an outright lie or ignorance.

I certainly felt we could have beat them and from reading, half this board seems to agree. Did I say we were going to curb stomp them like we should TTU this weekend. No, I just said we would win.

Pleas go back and see how many times we've seen this same exact ******** post. Y'all are acting like every single coach who struggles could end up being a title winner, they aren't. He succeeded based on talent at UCF, and regressed each year. Y'all need to stop blindly worshipping every single coach like he's going to be a winner just because of your bug orange sunglasses.

Scott Frost is proving his UCF success was smoke & mirrors.

Nick Saban's first 4 years at Michigan State: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins. First year at Bama 7 wins.
Dabo Swinney's first 3 years at Clemson: 4 wins (in 7 games as the interim coach), 9 wins, 6 wins.
Brian Kelly's first 2 years at Central Michigan: 4 wins, 6 wins. First 2 years at ND: 8 wins, 8 wins.
Pete Carroll's first year at USC: 6 wins.

You guys would all be on here trying to run these guys off if they had the same start here at UT than at their previous stops. I would argue we are in a worse spot than all of those other school's when they took over their programs. A decade plus of instability, looming NCAA investigation and sanctions, the toughest conference in college football and the vocal idiots expect this dumpster fire of a program to be turned around in 2 games. Hell, look at our basketball program as an example. Rick Barnes had a losing record his first two seasons combined before he got it turned around. We aren't in a position to turn this around in year 1 and most likely year 2 either.

The reality is that no matter who we hired; this was going to be a rough year. We haven't recruited at a high enough level, haven't developed enough guys, and the bulk of our best players all left the program before the season. I have no idea if Heupel is the guy or not. Heupel was pretty far down the list in terms of our coaching wish list so honestly he probably isn't the guy long term. However, the hope is that he can bring in some talent, get us to 7 or 8 wins a year, and we are a much more attractive job for the guy to take us beyond that. Either way, blaming this dumpster fire of a program on Heupel is asinine and ridiculous.

And all of this was before the destructive transfer portal.

Reactions: AM64
No, but the example did demonstrate that you can’t necessarily solve the UT football problem by spending your way out of it for a “big name coach.”

I thought our last coaching search demonstrated that as well.

No, it doesn't.

Whether or not Fisher was/is worth the contract that A&M gave him, has no bearing on Huepel's ability to succeed nor not at UT.

Reactions: Vol Farmer
uuuO0KU.jpg

Nick Saban's first 4 years at Michigan State: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins. First year at Bama 7 wins.
Dabo Swinney's first 3 years at Clemson: 4 wins (in 7 games as the interim coach), 9 wins, 6 wins.
Brian Kelly's first 2 years at Central Michigan: 4 wins, 6 wins. First 2 years at ND: 8 wins, 8 wins.

You guys would all be on here trying to run these guys off if they had the same start here at UT than at their previous stops. I would argue we are in a worse spot than all of those other school's when they took over their programs. A decade plus of instability, looming NCAA investigation and sanctions, the toughest conference in college football and the vocal idiots expect this dumpster fire of a program to be turned around in 2 games. Hell, look at our basketball program as an example. Rick Barnes had a losing record his first two seasons combined before he got it turned around. We aren't in a position to turn this around in year 1 and most likely year 2 either.

The reality is that no matter who we hired; this was going to be a rough year. We haven't recruited at a high enough level, haven't developed enough guys, and the bulk of our best players all left the program before the season. I have no idea if Heupel is the guy or not. Heupel was pretty far down the list in terms of our coaching wish list so honestly he probably isn't the guy long term. However, the hope is that he can bring in some talent, get us to 7 or 8 wins a year, and we are a much more attractive job for the guy to take us beyond that. Either way, blaming this dumpster fire of a program on Heupel is asinine and ridiculous.
Facts. Great post.

Facts. Great post.

Context matters:

Nick Saban: Michigan State was under NCAA sanctions the entire time he was at the school, still never had a losing record at the school.
Daby Swinney: Won his division in his first year, and won the conference in his third.
Brian Kelly: Central Michigan was coming off of a 4-year stretch under Mike Deboard where they were 12-34 with their best season being 4-8
Pete Carroll: Did lose 6 games his first season, by an average of 4.8 points/game, with the largest margin of loss being 11 points to Notre Dame.

We see these same examples trotted out with each new hire at UT, and every attempt is made to misrepresent them as being similar to the new HC's scenario.

Last edited:
. The defense only looked good on Pitt’s first 3 or 4 possessions after that their QB carved us up.
Actually gave us a chance at the end, 4th and short at the goal line and the pic with decent field position were on the offense. The false start and holding calls killed momentum, not to mention the overthrows. Special teams and defense were fairly solid.

Actually gave us a chance at the end, 4th and short at the goal line and the pic with decent field position were on the offense. The false start and holding calls killed momentum, not to mention the overthrows. Special teams and defense were fairly solid.

The defense was terrible in the second quarter, in execution, and in lack of discipline. They played pretty well the other 3, but Pitt took maximum advantage of their failures in that quarter.

Vols8086, most of us understand that it’s a building process and it will take several years to turn it around. Me personally, I’m pissed about the QB situation and I’m sure most of us complaining on this board are pissed about the same thing. Milton is a dumpster fire and was sold as QB1. Yesterday we saw that Hooker is better so now it makes inquiring minds want to know, if Hooker is better, is HB also better.

You have guys that light it up in games as they do in practice. You have guys that aren’t that great in practice but light it up during game time. And you have guys that are practice National Champions but suck during game time. The later is Milton.

Milton shouldn’t see the field again this year unless Hooker and HB are injured. He’s beyond horrible. He’s still the same QB he was at Michigan making the same exact mistakes. The Michigan fans tried to warn us but we all had high hopes Heup would be able to coach him out of his bad habits. He has a long ways to go and with decent QB play the entire team can get better. With Milton behind center the entire process slows to a crawl while he takes an eternity to learn how to be a good QB. We don’t have that type of time or patience.

We have a coach that QB'd at a very high level, he may be able turn Milton around with more time. He has only been here a very short time, I have my doubts too but maybe Heup can help Milton out.
Also, imagine if we had Dobbs in this offense, such a good fit.

Reactions: VolRage
We have a coach that QB'd at a very high level, he may be able turn Milton around with more time. He has only been here a very short time, I have my doubts too but maybe Heup can help Milton out.
Also, imagine if we had Dobbs in this offense, such a good fit.

Huepel is not going to affect fundamental changes during the limited in-season practice time, in a QB who has had the same sort of issues since high school. Not with 20 hours/week maximum practice time when they also have to prepare the entire team for the opponent on Saturday.

This is not a bowl team, no depth, overwhelming schedule and just a couple injuries away from probably finishing last. With that being said I would let HB have a game to start and play, why risk him leaving without even letting him have a live game "tryout".

We get this same speech for every coach. Rinse. Repeat.

With that said, the transfer portal was brutal to this program. It doesn’t change the fact that we let one get away this past Saturday, which was disappointing and concerning. Also concerning that this staff selected Milton as the season starter when it’s obvious that the guy doesn’t have it. BUT, we are going to have to do what we’ve become good at doing. Give him a fair amount of time before drawing any firm conclusions.

Huepel is not going to affect fundamental changes during the limited in-season practice time, in a QB who has had the same sort of issues since high school. Not with 20 hours/week maximum practice time when they also have to prepare the entire team for the opponent on Saturday.
Probably right. At least get the guy running with some authority, he runs around out there like he is 5'9/140.

Yeah I think we will score 30+ points per game this year with the exception of Georgia and Alabama games. What baffles me is, watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the defense played really well. But then look at the scoreboard and we gave up 41 points. I knew we were going to give up points in bunches, but it’s odd how it still happened considering defense looked solid yesterday.

difficult to keep any team from scoring on a tired defense.
They had the ball 12 more minutes than we did, plus 134 extra yards thru our penalties

Reactions: AM64

The coaches mentioned still have a lot to prove.

Context matters:

Nick Saban: Michigan State was under NCAA sanctions the entire time he was at the school, still never had a losing record at the school.
Daby Swinney: Won his division in his first year, and won the conference in his third.
Brian Kelly: Central Michigan was coming off of a 4-year stretch under Mike Deboard where they were 12-34 with their best season being 4-8
Pete Carroll: Did lose 6 games his first season, by an average of 4.8 points/game, with the largest margin of loss being 11 points to Notre Dame.

We see these same examples trotted out with each new hire at UT, and every attempt is made to misrepresent them as being similar to the new HC's scenario.
How many of those coaches had 30 players leave in their first year? I'm just saying lets be patient this year and see how the year finishes. I know, you've no patience. We've gone through this before. SSDD.

Reactions: KptVFL
Context matters:

Another thing too about Dabo's first (full) season...Clemson plays in the ACC Atlantic, where the next best squad in the division that year was a Boston College squad that went 5-3 in conference play. 6-2 in the SEC East would not be good enough to win the division right now, and we are miles away from being able to go 6-2 in conference play right now.

So even if Heupel was able to do that, it isn't like he'd win the East and be playing for the SEC title as the conference is currently constituted.

I used to say three years for a new coach, buts let be honest, the signs are usually clear way before then. And we can’t keep throwing away three year chunks of our program’s history. If they are not pulling some serious upsets by the end of season 2 cut em lose. And especially don’t give extensions unless they earn them on the field.
I agree but that choice is gone for this program. We have pissed away this being a top job with a lot of clout in the hiring process. No coach will come here without a huge buy-out now, that will get worse if we keep firing in 1 or 2 years. The top coaches that we need will not consider this program at any price and that will not change in the near future. Additionally, I think the administration like where the program is right now, they no longer need to put butts in seats to cover the expense.

What's your thoughts on HB ?

VN Store

Back