This fanbase doesn't get it

Vols8086

Nick Saban's first 4 years at Michigan State: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins. First year at Bama 7 wins.
Dabo Swinney's first 3 years at Clemson: 4 wins (in 7 games as the interim coach), 9 wins, 6 wins.
Brian Kelly's first 2 years at Central Michigan: 4 wins, 6 wins. First 2 years at ND: 8 wins, 8 wins.
Pete Carroll's first year at USC: 6 wins.

You guys would all be on here trying to run these guys off if they had the same start here at UT than at their previous stops. I would argue we are in a worse spot than all of those other school's when they took over their programs. A decade plus of instability, looming NCAA investigation and sanctions, the toughest conference in college football and the vocal idiots expect this dumpster fire of a program to be turned around in 2 games. Hell, look at our basketball program as an example. Rick Barnes had a losing record his first two seasons combined before he got it turned around. We aren't in a position to turn this around in year 1 and most likely year 2 either.

The reality is that no matter who we hired; this was going to be a rough year. We haven't recruited at a high enough level, haven't developed enough guys, and the bulk of our best players all left the program before the season. I have no idea if Heupel is the guy or not. Heupel was pretty far down the list in terms of our coaching wish list so honestly he probably isn't the guy long term. However, the hope is that he can bring in some talent, get us to 7 or 8 wins a year, and we are a much more attractive job for the guy to take us beyond that. Either way, blaming this dumpster fire of a program on Heupel is asinine and ridiculous.

Heupel did a lot right yesterday and he also did some things wrong. Going to have to give him time before we can make a proper evaluation. 34 points against a pretty good defense with all that went wrong yesterday is encouraging.
Yeah I think we will score 30+ points per game this year with the exception of Georgia and Alabama games. What baffles me is, watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the defense played really well. But then look at the scoreboard and we gave up 41 points. I knew we were going to give up points in bunches, but it’s odd how it still happened considering defense looked solid yesterday.

Nick Saban's first 4 years at Michigan State: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins. First year at Bama 7 wins.
Dabo Swinney's first 3 years at Clemson: 4 wins (in 7 games as the interim coach), 9 wins, 6 wins.
Brian Kelly's first 2 years at Central Michigan: 4 wins, 6 wins. First 2 years at ND: 8 wins, 8 wins.

You guys would all be on here trying to run these guys off if they had the same start here at UT than at their previous stops. I would argue we are in a worse spot than all of those other school's when they took over their programs. A decade plus of instability, looming NCAA investigation and sanctions, the toughest conference in college football and the vocal idiots expect this dumpster fire of a program to be turned around in 2 games. Hell, look at our basketball program as an example. Rick Barnes had a losing record his first two seasons combined before he got it turned around. We aren't in a position to turn this around in year 1 and most likely year 2 either.

The reality is that no matter who we hired; this was going to be a rough year. We haven't recruited at a high enough level, haven't developed enough guys, and the bulk of our best players all left the program before the season. I have no idea if Heupel is the guy or not. Heupel was pretty far down the list in terms of our coaching wish list so honestly he probably isn't the guy long term. However, the hope is that he can bring in some talent, get us to 7 or 8 wins a year, and we are a much more attractive job for the guy to take us beyond that. Either way, blaming this dumpster fire of a program on Heupel is asinine and ridiculous.

I think this poster is "Danny White" in disguise. Summed it up 100% accurately minus the name calling which I dont care about. We have American Conf. talent this year playing in the toughest conf. in the world. It is what it is.

Johnny's first 4 years at UT:

4-7
5-5-1
7-5
5-6

So which coach that we have run off was going to get this thing turned around with more time?

Last edited:
Vols8086, most of us understand that it’s a building process and it will take several years to turn it around. Me personally, I’m pissed about the QB situation and I’m sure most of us complaining on this board are pissed about the same thing. Milton is a dumpster fire and was sold as QB1. Yesterday we saw that Hooker is better so now it makes inquiring minds want to know, if Hooker is better, is HB also better.

You have guys that light it up in games as they do in practice. You have guys that aren’t that great in practice but light it up during game time. And you have guys that are practice National Champions but suck during game time. The later is Milton.

Milton shouldn’t see the field again this year unless Hooker and HB are injured. He’s beyond horrible. He’s still the same QB he was at Michigan making the same exact mistakes. The Michigan fans tried to warn us but we all had high hopes Heup would be able to coach him out of his bad habits. He has a long ways to go and with decent QB play the entire team can get better. With Milton behind center the entire process slows to a crawl while he takes an eternity to learn how to be a good QB. We don’t have that type of time or patience.

I'll add to OPs remarks, which is a good interpretation of the reality with the program, in that we also declined as a program when other players in the SEC rose up: UGA, BAMA, LSU.

Trying to make up for 20 years of downfall is going to be rough, especially when OSU and Texas come to the league.

Eventually, Saban will retire, but I'm afraid we lost our step for too long of a stretch to be the pinnacle SEC program on a regular basis.

Until stability, recruiting, coaching, and the administration gets right, we are fighting for middle and sometimes from bottom.

I like the team so far. I think a lot of things get cleaned up by SEC play. If you look at some of the penalties, those are easy to work on.

I think Heupels what we needed. You can tell that the players have fight and they are playing better in areas than what many probably imagined, certainly better than last year (and that was with more talent).

Jimbo Fisher, a 100 million dollar lottery ticket, still hasn't won the SEC.

I think it has more to do with the fans expecting DW to hire a proven winner this time and it didn’t happen.

Most are taking their frustration out on Heupel even though he has nothing to do with the shape the program is in.
DW couldn't force someone to take the job. How many proven winners, without baggage, were willing to take the job?

Yeah I think we will score 30+ points per game this year with the exception of Georgia and Alabama games. What baffles me is, watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the defense played really well. But then look at the scoreboard and we gave up 41 points. I knew we were going to give up points in bunches, but it’s odd how it still happened considering defense looked solid yesterday.
. The defense only looked good on Pitt’s first 3 or 4 possessions after that their QB carved us up.

DW couldn't force someone to take the job. How many proven winners, without baggage, were willing to take the job?

Freeze was never offered and Kiffin was a pipe dream just to troll the fanbase once again.

James Franklin was our top target and he turned us down. Tony Elliot also turned us down.

Seems like he ran out of options so he hired Heupel considering they’ve both worked together before.

There wasn’t going to be a happy ending either way.

Freeze was never offered and Kiffin was a pipe dream just to troll the fanbase once again.

James Franklin was our top target and he turned us down. Tony Elliot also turned us down.

Seems like he ran out of options so he hired Heupel considering they’ve both worked together before.

There wasn’t going to be a happy ending either way.
Exactly!

I liked this speech better when it was made for Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt.

Someone had to dust off that recurring speech we see every 3-4 years.

I’ve got Saban’s and Dabo’s year over years records memorized at this point.

Yep, here it is again. And what that speech fails to recognize is that college football was a totally different world when those two men started at their respective schools. The game has changed dramatically, and what held true then doesn't anymore. There is no longer a gradual step-by-step growth to becoming a powerful program. Each year is unique and then the deck gets re-shuffled. And there are significant barriers to entry for many programs ever gaining top-tier status, even if they did have it in the past (like us). People on VN often don't realize that. But the game is set up now to favor the already powerful and exclude others from reaching the pinnacle. For example, the Bama QB gets $1 million. Much more goes to the rest of that team. How in the world are teams like Tennessee supposed to compete? Elite talent will never come to UT anymore in significant numbers. The days in which lower level teams can gradually ascend to a long-term place in the top-tier are over. And unfortunately, that excludes us from getting there. But many on here still function with the old paradigm that we can slowly "rebuild." The reality is, the system doesn't afford us the tools and materials to do that anymore. That's why the same five or six teams have been in the CFP every year since its inception.

Last edited:
I will say this. The team looked improved from week 1 to week 2. We knew the Pitt game would be a real test for this team. I saw yesterday a team that in the years past would have rolled over. This team fought, we had an awful 2nd quarter. Team also seemed to get a 2nd wind once Hooker took over. I think CJH needs to roll with Hooker. I would definitely give HB15 few snaps next game to see what he has. We lost a lot of talent. We are slim at depth at a few positions. Overall I like what we saw yesterday.

Yep, here it is again. And what that speech fails to recognize is that college football was a totally different world when those two men started at their respective schools. The game has changed dramatically, and what held true then doesn't anymore. There is no longer a gradual step-by-step growth to becoming a powerful program. Each year is unique and then the deck gets re-shuffled. And there are significant barriers to entry for many programs ever gaining top-tier status, even if they did have it in the past (like us). People on VN often don't realize that. But the game is set up now to favor the already powerful and exclude others from reaching the pinnacle. For example, the Bama QB gets $1 million. Much more goes to the rest of that team. How in the world are teams like Tennessee supposed to compete? Elite talent will never come to UT anymore in significant numbers. The days in which lower level teams can gradually ascend to a long-term place in the top-tier are over. And unfortunately, that excludes us from getting there. But many on here still function with the old paradigm that we can slowly "rebuild." The reality is, the system doesn't afford us the tools and materials to do that anymore. That's why the same five or six teams have been in the CFP every year since it's inception.

Unfortunately, this is all true. Great post.

The only hope we have left is that CFP expansion, and new NIL rules, will allow for a few more seats at the table, and spreading the wealth a little.

What has become, as you laid out nicely, is drab, predictable, and boring. The ending is a foregone conclusion, and I believe butts in seats, or lack thereof, tells that story.

I'm way more judgemental of people claiming to have a read on this staff at this point, than the staff itself. It's going to take a couple of years to feel it out.

I will say, it's nice not seeing a bubba get redneck mad on the sidelines 400x a game. Now they're just on this board, but at least they can be ignored.

It’s called frustration from hell…. 15 years of garbage will do that to a fan base

VN Store

Back