This article explains why UT football has been in decline...and it's not due to coaching

We get top 10-15 classes all the time and perform like we're getting the 100th ranked class. Sounds like coaching to me.

If it looks like bad coaching...and smells like bad coaching...it’s bad coaching.

Seriously, the article is based on a flawed premise: that recruits only sign with an in-state school. And we know that simply isn’t the case.

But, YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING ATTRACTIVE TO SELL. If you get the right coach in there, it all takes care of itself. The States of Oklahoma and Alabama aren’t producing Florida, Texas and California levels of talent, but good coaches in those states are doing just fine.

We will, too, if we hire a good coach.

Some of the writers have zero ability to think logically.

"The Vols were one of three SEC schools to have a recruiting budget of over $2 million in 2019, and they were behind the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Georgia Bulldogs."

So if recruiting budget is the primary factor in on the field success and UT is over $2 million a year along with UGA and Bama, the Tennessee on field production should be nearly the same as those and better than UF & LSU who spend less?

If it looks like bad coaching...and smells like bad coaching...it’s bad coaching.

Seriously, the article is based on a flawed premise: that recruits only sign with an in-state school. And we know that simply isn’t the case.

But, YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING ATTRACTIVE TO SELL. If you get the right coach in there, it all takes care of itself. The States of Oklahoma and Alabama aren’t producing Florida, Texas and California levels of talent, but good coaches in those states are doing just fine.

We will, too, if we hire a good coach.
I agree. We have lost one advantage. It just means we don't rebound as fast and we have to earn it another way. It doesn't mean we can't win again. As you stated, we need something to sell!

Tennessee football: ESPN’s SEC rights a further blow to Vols’ recruiting edge

This article hits the nail in the head about UT's football program decline. We no longer have a recruiting advantage anymore due to more revenue sharing. For those complaining about coaching being the issue, I would say there are bigger things in play.

You don't have to argue with the premise of the article. If I am reading this right, it basically says:

1. UT was winning with better recruits before money more or less equalized recruiting spending. This would ALSO mean that UT was NOT winning back then due to better coaching, just better players.

2. UT is currently not winning at the same level because everyone else has access to those players. This ALSO means that the while players coming may not be quite as good, we are not coaching them up now, maybe no more than we did 20 years ago.

All this does for me is confirm what most already know: Good teams have a coach who gets the most out of the players. Regardless of the player talent level, good teams are competitive in most games. We have not been for some time. I will let you draw your own conclusion, but most on here already have, and it is not the players fault UT has not been competitive for most of the last 15 years.

This article hits the nail in the head about UT's football program decline. We no longer have a recruiting advantage anymore due to more revenue sharing. For those complaining about coaching being the issue, I would say there are bigger things in play.
I’m not reading it because if it says our decline is not due to coaching then it’s pure fiction.
16 years of coaching malpractice is the reason.

I read this article this morning amd laughed. Tn has had unbelievable talent in receipt years and yet can’t get a system in place with a competent talented coaching staff. It has nothing to do with recruiting budgets.

We no longer have a recruiting advantage because at our peak, every other program around us geographically was down. South Carolina was a doormat and Clemson was basically what South Carolina is now. UVA and VT weren't special. No program in North Carolina was relevant. UGA was meh, Bama wasn't a juggernaut and Auburn was decent, UK and UL were trash, LSU was ok, etc. We could literally cherry pick the best players from all over the south east. Once other programs developed we couldn't just waltz in and take all the best kids from each state. That's the recruiting decline, not the budget.

It's all about coaching, we can land 5 stars , 4 stars, 3 stars or whatever stars. If can get the 3&4&whatever stars to play and develope into 5 stars then you best get a coach who can. That's what separates schools.
Our coach sucks, Period!!!

This. Recruiting doesn't matter if once the players are in the program, they are never coached well enough to reach their recruiting ranking.

Quit drinking the Kool aid,. We lost to Ga State and it wasn't because of what this article talks about. We lost because our coach sucks!!!

I’m sorry. Money is not the problem.

Problem #1 is bad coaches as evidenced by the fact that except for Kiffin no one is doing a damn thing anywhere else. And, the most noteworthy thing Kiffin has done is get fired from USC. Even Ron Zook went on to take Illinois to the Rose Bowl

Problem #2, all the in-state schools where Tennessee had poached recruits are all better now than in the 90’s. Georgia, Clemson, Alabama, Ole Miss and Miss State, and LSU. And while the State of Florida is what it is as a recruiting hotbed, there are more large sharks in that body of water than before. Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, etc., make it harder beyond recruiting against just the in-state Florida schools.

That’s what has happened.

No more Ray Goof, Gerry DiNardo, Mike Debose, Tommy West, and Brad Scott to recruit against

We no longer have a recruiting advantage because at our peak, every other program around us geographically was down. South Carolina was a doormat and Clemson was basically what South Carolina is now. UVA and VT weren't special. No program in North Carolina was relevant. UGA was meh, Bama wasn't a juggernaut and Auburn was decent, UK and UL were trash, LSU was ok, etc. We could literally cherry pick the best players from all over the south east. Once other programs developed we couldn't just waltz in and take all the best kids from each state. That's the recruiting decline, not the budget.

Spot on.

Our great record late last century was because many other regional programs (both SEC and otherwise) were in the doldrums relative to where they are now. It was much easier to recruit.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
There are a lot of things that contribute to UT being down over the last 2 decades but all it takes right now is to watch this team play. It's just a bad product on the field, not their facilities being on par with other schools.

This team has no identity on what it tries to do or attempts to be good at.
Agree. I would have liked us to put everything into power rushing game...at this point, it's our only true possible advantage over our SEC competition...if we could execute it. Shorten the games vs wide open offenses and keep our D off the field longer. I'd even consider bringing Crouch, top RB prospect a few years ago, over to RB, and put him with Fant as full back and just establish smashmouth football, complimented by Grey/Chandler.

Reactions: Orange12
The articles states that it’s unknown if Pruitt and Fulmer will still be here in 2024-2025. I will go ahead and answer that one yea there is no chance in hell they will still be here then.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle

Did you write that article? We have had top 20 classes nearly every year since 2007 which is good enough on average for 7th in the SEC. We have only finished 7th or better in the SEC 4 times since 2007 which equates to roughly 25% of the time. Whose fault would that be if not the coaches? And, it's not as if 7th in the SEC is some great achievement

VN Store

Back