Things that you would change about the game if you could.

Volnanza

My first post ever on this board. As for me, I've been a lurker for a long time. I pretty much dumped all boards when Tennessee dumped Bruce Pearl. It didn't help matters when the Kiffin/Dooley/Jones fiascos were going on. I go all the way back to the old Gridscape days. Those were good times. Hopefully we get back to that very soon. My question is, not be to controversial, "What would you do to change the game if you had the power to do so?". It is the off season and we do have a lot of time to fill so have at it guys and gals. What would you change?

For me, I would do two things.

1) Ban all synthetic noise makers by all teams. What I mean are things like 'Smokey's Howl', Vandys fog horn, Etc. This adds nothing to the game and is just an annoyance and a reason to not want to go to the game. I mean if you can't have fans make the noise, then why are they going to the game in the first place? It adds absolutely nothing in my opinion.

2) There is a trend that I noticed a few years back that I think started in the big 12 conference. It drives me nuts. It's a technique used by the bands where they hold a loud, obnoxious note between every freaking play all the way up till the opposing offense is lined on the ball. I think it's bush league stuff (big 12). It makes it hard to interact and enjoy the game with others around while watching the game and you can't hear the announcer. It doesn't seem to bother the teams very much but it sure drives me crazy. It unfortunately seems to be getting worse. I noticed a couple of years ago that one bush league SEC team to our south (paint themselves black and red, act like barking dogs, biggest bunch of Saturday tranny's I have ever seen, never,ever live up to their potential, etc.) has adopted this crap. If I could, I would have a rule that bands can play after 1st downs, big plays, touchdowns, end of quarters, before and after the game. That's enough. Any other time the band should cheer like any other fan. I remember the Olympics many years ago when they had to ban the Vuvuzela. They were banned here in college football as well. So why should the band get to use their horns as noise makers? Imagine 100,000 trumpets being blown at once, non-stop, for an entire game! Unbearable.

So. Those are the two things that (IMO) make college football less fun and are just bad for the game. What do you think?

Vuvuzela
6bfc7535-f48d-4541-a708-dd1eb8e893ac_1.513d273e8768b6c6489590c84fa34e3b.jpeg

1. eliminate the ejection for targeting until the 2nd offense....
2. change the rules for the clock back to what it used to be....sick of TV trying to dictate the game...i.e., the clock stops on out of bounds plays, and incomplete passes....
3. shorten play clock to 35 seconds....
4. institute a 2 minute warning
5. make PI a spot foul
6. a player is not ruled down until he is touched--like the NFL....

Just off the top of my head

Last edited:
My first post ever on this board. As for me, I've been a lurker for a long time. I pretty much dumped all boards when Tennessee dumped Bruce Pearl. It didn't help matters when the Kiffin/Dooley/Jones fiascos were going on. I go all the way back to the old Gridscape days. Those were good times. Hopefully we get back to that very soon. My question is, not be to controversial, "What would you do to change the game if you had the power to do so?". It is the off season and we do have a lot of time to fill so have at it guys and gals. What would you change?

For me, I would do two things.

1) Ban all synthetic noise makers by all teams. What I mean are things like 'Smokey's Howl', Vandys fog horn, Etc. This adds nothing to the game and is just an annoyance and a reason to not want to go to the game. I mean if you can't have fans make the noise, then why are they going to the game in the first place? It adds absolutely nothing in my opinion.

2) There is a trend that I noticed a few years back that I think started in the big 12 conference. It drives me nuts. It's a technique used by the bands where they hold a loud, obnoxious note between every freaking play all the way up till the opposing offense is lined on the ball. I think it's bush league stuff (big 12). It makes it hard to interact and enjoy the game with others around while watching the game and you can't hear the announcer. It doesn't seem to bother the teams very much but it sure drives me crazy. It unfortunately seems to be getting worse. I noticed a couple of years ago that one bush league SEC team to our south (paint themselves black and red, act like barking dogs, biggest bunch of Saturday tranny's I have ever seen, never,ever live up to their potential, etc.) has adopted this crap. If I could, I would have a rule that bands can play after 1st downs, big plays, touchdowns, end of quarters, before and after the game. That's enough. Any other time the band should cheer like any other fan. I remember the Olympics many years ago when they had to ban the Vuvuzela. They were banned here in college football as well. So why should the band get to use their horns as noise makers? Imagine 100,000 trumpets being blown at once, non-stop, for an entire game! Unbearable.

So. Those are the two things that (IMO) make college football less fun and are just bad for the game. What do you think?

Vuvuzela
6bfc7535-f48d-4541-a708-dd1eb8e893ac_1.513d273e8768b6c6489590c84fa34e3b.jpeg

Always remember ... I gave you your first like on Volnation.

I'd make the XFL kickoff rule universal since they're trying to legislate the kickoff out of the game.

I would put the refs out there like they are, although I would put the CALLS online to be determined by the fans. You have 10 seconds to cast your vote on any play in question. It’ll speed up the game and take the bias out of the refs hands. Overall a more fair game.

Reactions: The_Big_Orange
1) Ditch instant replay. Cramps the game, they still get it wrong too often, still subject to bias, and they don't follow their own rules (indisputable evidence, anyone?).

2) Ditch the targeting rule and instead institute a rule that all tackles must involve an attempt to wrap up with 2 hands.

3) If you can't get 2) then make targeting work both ways -- the offensive player can be flagged if he lowers his head and initiates contact (Should be yet another "Tennessee rule" because we have been flagged for it so often when it should have been called on the offense).

4) If you can't get 1), then add pass interference and holding to review-able plays.

5) Clock starts ticking the minute a play is reviewed. If no decision can be reached within 60 seconds, the play call stands. No more of these 5+ minute reviews.

Lose the rule where the other team gets awarded the football if someone fumbles out of the end zone. It makes zero sense to me that anywhere else you fumble and it goes out of bounds you get the ball where it went out or at the spot of the fumble. But if you fumble through the end zone it’s automatically the other teams ball. I’ll never understand it.

All that would turn into is the team with the largest fan base gets all the calls. It would be bias of a different kind.
There are many fans that watch that are not a fan of any team that could even it out. But I see your point. UT wins every call! 😁

1. Immediately get rid of "targeting rule"
2. Suspend with 20yr show cause anyone involved in implementing the "targeting rule".
3. Get rid of "fair catch"
It has always been fair. If you can get it, you can advance it.
If you can't, back up and let the opposing team down it where they may.
4. All kick-offs from the 25 yard line.
On-sides kicks become interesting
Brings back kick returns
Adds excitement back to what is becoming an effeminate game

It's getting boring watching.

There used to be a thing called the kicking game. Exciting returns. Specialized players. Track star cross-overs. Bone crushing hits. Narrow escapes. Explosions into the open field. Breakaways.

HDNRBy.gif

blQjbU.gif

Now there is only long boring stretches where the ball changes hands with no appreciable potential variables or potential for excitement.

The targeting rule is feminine. Football is America's warrior sport. If you aren't tough, athletic or lucky enough, stay off the field. No one is forcing you. How many times have they wasted our time checking to see if they can ruin the game by getting rid of the very guy who just made a great play? An exciting play.

Emmanuel Moseley was ejected
The ref, review booth participants and the head of the NCAA should be ejected.

It's only a matter of time before someone discovers a better entertaining way. $$

Last edited:
For the P5 schools, I’d create a laser system for the football, sidelines, endzones for ball placement/first downs/td decisions and eliminate the chain gang. I’d also take refereeing of revenue sports away from the P5 conferences and into a centralized body serving all conferences.

I would change the name of the Big 10 and Big 12 to represent the number of schools in each conference...
Realign the conferences back and similar to what they once were. WVU being in the same conference as OK and Texas is just wrong. The Power conferences should have some geographical structure to them. Also make major independents like Notre Dame join a conference. Make all conferences 10 teams and create more power conferences if necessary.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back