Things just feel different with Pruitt

Need to see more success. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that we were 1-4 with a couple embarrassing losses. Plus recruiting right now isn't exactly taking off.

Need to see some 9 and 10 win seasons before "I believe it"

We had these same type of threads early on with Butch

We did not have these kind and of discussions with Butch. The only thing people could point to for hope were his MAC championships and recruiting. With Pruitt people are pointing to in-game coaching and player development. Big, big difference. Butch was smoke and mirrors. Pruitt is the real deal.

To mention Butch ANYMORE is insane. Let's bury the horror of Butch and move on.

I understand the hesitancy. We've gotten our hopes up before only to be burned. But Pruitt has nothing to do with Butch. And the fact that Butch/Dooley failed has no bearing on the kind of coach Pruitt is.

Reactions: mickey1969
That was funny 'bout Catholics and Presbyterians. Got a laugh out of me. That aside, Protestant denominations aren't innocent of the same behaviors as Catholics, they're better at hiding it.

I would phrase that differently. They are better and it is less common (likely because pastors can get married). But they're not innocent, either.

We did not have these kind and of discussions with Butch. The only thing people could point to for hope were his MAC championships and recruiting. With Pruitt people are pointing to in-game coaching and player development. Big, big difference. Butch was smoke and mirrors. Pruitt is the real deal.
I wish we had enough info to make that statement, but I don't think we do.

Remember, Butch also showed improvement in his second year and made a bowl. Almost beat a ranked Georgia team on the road, hung tough with Alabama, had a wild come-from-behind road win against South Carolina, then closed with a resounding bowl game victory.

I swear, you guys are the most fickle fan base of all time. Do I really need to go find the threads on here after the first few games? He went from genius, to imbecile, to genius, in 6 weeks.
Some of our fans are a little too imaginative. I've personally always thought Pruitt was a smart coach. I hang the GA st loss on him (didn't have our boys ready), but all other games, he's a pretty good game-day coach.

I would phrase that differently. They are better and it is less common (likely because pastors can get married). But they're not innocent, either.

Nope, it goes further than that. But if you want to look into it and avoid burdening the board with that discussion explore the Prospect org website the topic of sex abuse scandal, specifically next-christian-sex-abuse-scandal. And the Guardian site on the topic of Protestants can no longer dismiss abuse as a Catholic problem.

In a nutshell as someone who had to help deal with the problem in a private school, I know two things. One, conservative groups tend to be the worst offenders. And have policies in place to sweep it under the rug and remove evidence. 2. Dorm supervisors, clergy, and teachers/counselors are frequent perpetrators.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Some of our fans are a little too imaginative. I've personally always thought Pruitt was a smart coach. I hang the GA st loss on him (didn't have our boys ready), but all other games, he's a pretty good game-day coach.

I'm in the same boat with you. Other than that game UT was exactly what was expected this year. Its just amazing to me that after the first few games people had given up and were talking about replacements, and now the pendulum has swung with expected wins against meh teams and people are worried he will be nabbed by some other team.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I swear, you guys are the most fickle fan base of all time. Do I really need to go find the threads on here after the first few games? He went from genius, to imbecile, to genius, in 6 weeks.

Yeah well we don't care what you think swamp lizard. Happy Thanksgiving LG

Reactions: lawgator1
The coaching is there and now we just need an upgrade in talent and depth in some places. I think getting to a bowl game will show some recruits that may have been on the fence that we are on the way back. Player development,which has been nonexistent at UT for a while, is back and showing benefits. There are a lot of positives to see with the current staff.

Where specifically would you like to see an upgrade in talent?

The difference between Pruitt and Butch or Dooley is JP is a real FB coach who loves it, eats it and breathes it. He would be coaching HS if that was his ceiling. Dooley and Butch’s pride/egos would never allow that.

I'm in the same boat with you. Other than that game UT was exactly what was expected this year. Its just amazing to me that after the first few games people had given up and were talking about replacements, and now the pendulum has swung with expected wins against meh teams and people are worried he will be nabbed by some other team.
I swear one minute we're grabbing the torches, and the next, he'll be Bama's next HC. Some think he should win SEC coach of the year 😂

The difference between Pruitt and Butch or Dooley is JP is a real FB coach who loves it, eats it and breathes it. He would be coaching HS if that was his ceiling. Dooley and Butch’s pride/egos would never allow that.
Yet, that's exactly what they should be doing. Neither will ever be a quality cfb coach.

Just remember these are the same fans that were worried about UGA stealing Dooley from us.;)

Reactions: FïreBall
Dobbs would cause them fits. Lets be real here. These arent very good teams Mizz, UAB & Ky) that Tennessee is beating in close games this year. Now, I think the talent is better than they are playing but facts are they are making too many careless and dumb mistakes to beat a good SEC team which is where the program needs to get to. JMO

Shhhh. Don’t let reality get in their way...

I said it on Saturday...we put up 500+ yds on a really good defense and won despite doing almost everything to give it away. This team is learning how to win and the Butch stink is almost completely gone from a mental standpoint.

I said it on Saturday...we put up 500+ yds on a really good defense and won despite doing almost everything to give it away. This team is learning how to win and the Butch stink is almost completely gone from a mental standpoint.
2 games in a row where we haven't played our best and still won, all with around just 65 players!!

Reactions: stephp4ut
I agree with much of what you said. I think the biggest boom we could get is to get a bowl game and be a 2 touchdown under dog. You give Pruitt, his staff and this TEAM a month to prepare for the game. I like our odds of winning. If we do this it would make a great impact on our recruiting. This not the same team that started this season. Stevie Wonder can see the difference. I can not remember watching a team that has made as big of improvement.
Not to be negative Nancy but we had all offseason to prepare for ga st and got whipped....but this is a different team now and we should be ok against whoever we play.

I think one of the best indicators of progress is the SEC record. It’s easy to think about the first two games, but I’d trade those any day for 2 league wins. We had to start beating the teams in the SEC we are either on par with or better than. Pruitt will have this team ready Saturday and we will probably find ourselves matched against a solid team for a bowl. I initially wanted an easy win bowl for momentum in recruiting but I think the biggest exposure we can get is what will help. Regardless of a win or not that might be the biggest draw for recruiting.
Old guy here who goes all the way back to early '50's as a kid fan...Had season tickets, went to Tempe for the championship, enjoyed all of the '90's success, and suffered the past decade as all of you...Right now I am almost floating because I can see where we ate going under Pruitt and his great assistants...Just want to live a few more years to get to enjoy the euphoria of another NC...It's coming, It's coming...Mark it down...

Coach Pruitt recognizing Missouri’s fake punt and screaming it out to his players wasn’t an isolated incident. I recall his recognition of Auburn’s offensive plays and calling certain blitzes to counter from the sidelines last year. And it made me think: when have we had a coach who was so talented at seeing the game in real time and playing it like a master of chess? Fulmer was a CEO type. Dooley...no. Butch...no. Kiffin would come closest, but on the offensive side of the ball.

Things just feel different with Pruitt. He has a great football mind. I’ve said since last year that he’s the best defensive mind on The Hill since Ken Donahue. On top of that, he’s a disciplinarian, but a player’s coach for whom players want to perform. He and his staff have obviously developed this roster, as well. He seems to have all the requisite skills to succeed.

I remember in the 90s wishing we had an X’s and O’s mind like Spurrier...a guy who gives you a tactical advantage every time out. That not only puts players in a better position to make plays, but it also creates a psychological advantage (which is really where Spurrier’s teams had Fulmer’s beat). I think we have that now on the defensive side of the ball. But I also think Pruitt has an overall great football mind, rather than just being good at one side of the ball. We heard how he told Chaney to call the JG bootleg to seal the Kentucky game.

This rebuild is still a work in progress. There are still a lot of mental mistakes to clean up. The talent still needs to improve. But we have our football coach. I’ve hoped that with the others. I believe it now. This just feels different.
Versus Mizzou, he took my advice no to go for it on 4th down like he has in the past; as a fan I wanted him to go for it vs Mizzou, but in reality he did the right thing.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back